Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 02:36 AM

13,352 posts, read 39,959,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middletnjoe View Post
The Jack Daniels BBQ cook-off is in Lynchburg not Tullahoma.
Isn't Lynchburg/Moore County dry? They make Jack Daniels there but can't sell it. Is that still the case?

Miss Mary Bobo's is a restaurant in Lynchburg that is worth the drive and the 6-week waiting list for a reservation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 02:49 AM

51 posts, read 301,088 times
I believe that is still the case. It's a fun tour though and its free.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:35 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,288 times
Tennessee is famously known as the "Sophisicated Hillbilly State"!

Old 12-18-2006, 06:20 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middletnjoe View Post
The Jack Daniels BBQ cook-off is in Lynchburg not Tullahoma.
Ah, you beat me to it. I was looking at music fests for the next set of factoids offline and I saw that the Jack Daniels event was really in Lynchburg and thought I better correct it. I apologize.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:47 AM

Default Music Fest Factoids

Like the Food Fest post, just about every festival has some kind of music component but these festivals here are about the music. Also, not included are city/town events that, for example, run all summer long or once a month/week. If you know of more, please add them.

Knoxville: Rossini Festival - opera. Performances of opera along with an Italian street fair. - April

Etowah: Gospel Explosion - middle of March

Loudon: Smoky Mountain Fiddler's Convention - Competition: bluegrass bands, banjo, mandolin, gospel, clogging, crafts. - late August

Smithville: Smithville Fiddler's Jamboree - large event - Competition: flat-pick guitar, dobro (resonator guitar), country harmonica, etc. Also junior buck dancing, crafts. weekend near 4th of July

Chattanooga: Riverbend Festival - 9 day musical salute on 6 stages - different type of music each day including rock, blues, classical, country, etc. Big name headliner and locals perform each day. June

Nashville: The Dove Awards - Gospel Music awards show. April

Nashville: CMA Music Festival - Very large event for country fans. Weeklong. Performances, autographs, photo-taking with country stars. - June

Savannah: Tennessee River City Blue Grass Festival - local and regional performers. - first weekend in July

Clarksville: Old Time Fiddler's Contest - Competitions in multiple categories. March

Goodlettsville: Fall Fiddlin' Jamboree - competitions, food, and crafts. - October

Lynchburg: Uncle Bunt Fiddle Contest - first Saturday in August.

Manchester: Bonnaroo Music Festival (previously mentioned in this thread). Very large music festival. 7 stages. Jazz, hip-hop, alternative, electronic, jam bands, etc. Past performers have included Elvis Costello, Tom Petty, Allman Bros., Dave Matthews, Radiohead, SonicYouth, Bonnie Raitt, Steve Earle and others - June

Franklin: Franklin Jazz Festival - dixieland, traditional jazz and big band music - first weekend in August

Reelfoot Lake: Roundhouse Music Reunion - 50's music - September

Nathan Bedford Forrest State Historic Area: Summer Song Festival - gospel sing-a-long with live bands - July 4th weekend

Jackson: Casey Jones Old Time Music Festival: - guitar, bluegrass, banjo, dobro and buck dancing. - second weekend in September

Jackson: Shannon Street Blues and Heritage Festival - local and national performers - June

Memphis: Blues First Weekend - Competition for blues bands. January

Memphis: Beale Street Music Festival - Large music festival that celebrate Memphis music - Past performers have included B.B. King, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ray Charles, Beck, Van Morrison, ZZ Top, Al Green, Dave Matthew's Band, John Lee Hooker, Sammy Haggar, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Styx, Charlie Daniels, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Kansas, Cheap Trick, Creed, Collective Soul, Peter Frampton, Sheryl Crow, Booker T & the MG's, Ablert King, Widespread Panic, Etta James, Bob Dylan, James Brown, Bonnie Raitt, Wilson Pickett, Hootie and the Blowfish, James Cotton, Blues Traveler, Bobby Blue Bland, Black Crowes, Ziggy Marley, the Allman Brothers Band. - May

Old 12-18-2006, 12:46 PM

122 posts, read 179,192 times
Laura C you forgot a festival.

GREENEVILLE IRIS FESTIVAL - every May. All kinds of craft booths, food booths, and entertainment.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:52 PM

302 posts, read 1,443,794 times
GATLINBURG: rib festival... Aug.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnvolfan1971 View Post
Laura C you forgot a festival.

GREENEVILLE IRIS FESTIVAL - every May. All kinds of craft booths, food booths, and entertainment.
I didn't forget it. I was just seeing if you were paying attention.

But seriously, I'm sure there are a lot more. Some towns have a better PR campaign and I'm thinkin' some towns have a Secret Barbecue Cookin' Bluegrass Pickin' Buck Dancin' Catfish Racin' Venomous Spider Tossin' Snake Handlin' Pistol Shootin' Fruit Hurlin' Festival that they don't want outsiders at. That's the one I want to go to because those people know how to have a good time.

Then there are the ones I just missed.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
*Reelfoot Lake (NW TN in Lake County) was formed by the New Madrid Earthquake of 1811-12

(Oh, and have you ever tried Earthquake Cake? It's delicious!)
No, what's it made of?

Old 12-19-2006, 11:22 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I didn't forget it. I was just seeing if you were paying attention.

But seriously, I'm sure there are a lot more. Some towns have a better PR campaign and I'm thinkin' some towns have a Secret Barbecue Cookin' Bluegrass Pickin' Buck Dancin' Catfish Racin' Venomous Spider Tossin' Snake Handlin' Pistol Shootin' Fruit Hurlin' Festival that they don't want outsiders at. That's the one I want to go to because those people know how to have a good time.

Then there are the ones I just missed.
I want to go to that one, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee