Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Tennessee: apartments for rent, houses for sale, realtors, transplant, property value.

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 06:08 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,345,480 times

Advertisements

Forget about farmers selling to developers. That is so yesterday's economic folly. Growing food is the new fast-track career choice.

A Global Need for Grain That Farms Can’t Fill - New York Times

Old 03-09-2008, 06:24 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,212,494 times
any farmers grow wheat in TN ?

Old 03-09-2008, 06:28 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,232,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
any farmers grow wheat in TN ?
Yep, but it's a fairly small acreage.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:34 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,345,480 times
Read the article. The headline says "grain", but commodity prices are up and it is worth it to grow anything. One farmer was begged to grow mustard seed.

I'm sure the more aware among us are seeing a "no-win" situation. Oil consumption, food consumption, land consumption. It all comes down to overpopulation.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:39 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,212,494 times
regarding wheat--------last year 4 out of the 5 wheat exporting countries suffered a loss in yield due to the weather conditions.

demand for corn acres due to ethanol is another factor.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:41 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,105,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Daniellefort, my parents lived in Citrus County, Florida. Their property taxes doubled in 8 years and their homeowners insurance premiums skyrocketed even faster. They didn't do a darn thing to their house to warrant such a ridiculous increase. The ONLY reason the property taxes went up so quickly is because of the development going up all around them. And now that Florida has a law saying property taxes can go up only 3% a year, you'd better believe they're going to stick it to you some other way.

Umm. i don't think so. You would probably think i was dreaming if i told you how much we pay for taxes on our home.....I'll give you a hint, well, okay it's $210 a year....and i could go into details why but lets just say i bought this house as a fixer upper 8 years ago for peanuts and the person who buys this house may or may not be the one who picks up the big tax bill. The state of FL just passed a law of transferring tax payments from home to home if you downsize so somebody could buy my home who already lives in FL in a bigger home and not pay taxes on this home at all.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:56 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,354,988 times
This is nothing more then the OP's frustration and resentment boiling over at the current affairs of the housing market. Why play the blame game? Out of staters moving here and buying here isn't all harmful, there is good and bad to every balance system.
As potential buyers in this market, we feel the tightening restrictions in getting a mortgage. We are rapidly getting stuck between a rock and a hard place. Do I like being in this position? Do I like the hoops I have to jump threw to get a mortgage that will be less then half what we pay in rent now? The answer is simply NO! But it isn't anyone from out of states fault, it is nothing more then the hand we were dealt and we are trying to do the best we can with the hand we were dealt. Blaming others and having a tantrum acheives nothing more then spreading negativity around and feeding your unhappiness.
No one can claim that life is always fair and easy because it isn't. It is what you do with your life that counts. So what if it takes a few more years to get what you want? So what if you feel you have to work harder to get what you want then the transplant that just moved here? Entitlement mentalities will get you no where, don't fall into that trap.
Pam

Old 03-09-2008, 08:12 AM

13,359 posts, read 40,014,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
Umm. i don't think so. You would probably think i was dreaming if i told you how much we pay for taxes on our home.....I'll give you a hint, well, okay it's $210 a year....and i could go into details why but lets just say i bought this house as a fixer upper 8 years ago for peanuts and the person who buys this house may or may not be the one who picks up the big tax bill. The state of FL just passed a law of transferring tax payments from home to home if you downsize so somebody could buy my home who already lives in FL in a bigger home and not pay taxes on this home at all.
You think I'm lying? I can't believe this.

Citrus County, in all its benevolence, kept reappraising my parents' property value, thereby increasing their property taxes. When they bought their 1960s-era home on the Homosassa River in 1996 it was their dream home, and on their income as retired teachers they could just afford the payments. Eight years later they were priced out of it because the property taxes had doubled and insurance premiums has skyrocketed.

Believe it or not, that's what happened.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:08 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,105,285 times
Geesh.... Did i say you were lying???....No i don't believe i did. So much why i hate these forums sometimes. People read into more than they need to sometimes. Anyone living in FL knows what's happening down here with the taxes and yes for some people they increased ALOT..... BUT what i was referring to is your statement "you'd better believe they're going to stick it to you some other way" and my simple response was "umm i don't think they will stick it to ME any other way"... because of MY personal situation (not the entire residents of FL). Gee.. anyways this is going a bit off topic so i'll end it on my end.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:24 AM

851 posts, read 2,460,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
There is absolutely no need to call gemkeeper names. And unless you're an out-of-stater who got suckered in to buying property in Tennessee at double its value, no one is calling you names, either.

To suggest that everyone would quickly sell their family farm to make a few bucks is outrageous. Maybe in go-go South Florida that's the case. But there are plenty of people around here who refuse to sell out to the big developers. Even in high-growth areas of West Knox and even Sevier County you'll find the occasional family home defiantly standing amidst rampant commercial developments.

And to all you people who say that the price you pay for your land is no one else's business, think again. If that were the case, then the price you pay wouldn't be public record, and realtors wouldn't use it to determine how much someone else's property is worth. And my property taxes wouldn't be based on YOUR land's value, which it indirectly is.

Daniellefort, my parents lived in Citrus County, Florida. Their property taxes doubled in 8 years and their homeowners insurance premiums skyrocketed even faster. They didn't do a darn thing to their house to warrant such a ridiculous increase. The ONLY reason the property taxes went up so quickly is because of the development going up all around them. And now that Florida has a law saying property taxes can go up only 3% a year, you'd better believe they're going to stick it to you some other way.
I was only stating what gemkeeper said! If you read her thread. But I guess that it is ONLY genkeeper's opinion, "dufus, out of stater were suckered". AND, NO I do not feel that I was suckered into paying double for my property.
Well anyway, everyone have a great day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee