Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Memphis Vs. Nashville ( which do you like better or prefer?)
Memphis 6 23.08%
Nashville 20 76.92%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 11:29 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
One of the big differences to me is the quality of the built environment in the neighborhood. Granted, I'm not as well-versed with Nashville, but many of the neighborhoods that I find myself in, in Nashville, look like this:

http://tinyurl.com/hqnuqcn
http://tinyurl.com/jk2sycb
http://tinyurl.com/jld5pfr

Memphis grew larger during an earlier era than Nashville, and as a result has (at least, in my mind) a larger selection of this type of neighborhood:

http://tinyurl.com/zngp5br
http://tinyurl.com/j9r8kkm
http://tinyurl.com/hsyudlf
http://tinyurl.com/zpzzp6f

Although when I was putting together these links, I did find a few new cool Nashville neighborhoods I didn't know about, e.g.:
http://tinyurl.com/znmbbhn

There's tons of ways to compare the two cities and undeniably Nashville is a boomtown these days, but this is one small way that influences how I think about the two places in general.
Nashville largely boomed during and after the automobile age. Urban renewal devasted many of the urban neighborhoods in North and East Nashville that contained lots of Victorian and Queen Anne style townhomes. Downtown made way for new interstates, warehouses, industrial buildings, public housing, and manufacturing facilities that also took away from Nashville's earlier built environment. Nashville is older than Memphis and was founded in 1779, while Memphis wasn't founded until 1819. Another element to Nashville's less dense/suburban feel is topography. Nashville is very hilly, full of lakes, streams, natural barriers to development, whereas Memphis is mostly flat. Things are changing very rapidly in Nashville's core, however, for the better. Nashville, much like Austin and Charlotte, gets to start with a clean slate building many new developments from the ground up instead of doing restoration/renovation more typical of Midwestern/Northeastern style cities that boomed decades ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Nashville largely boomed during and after the automobile age. Urban renewal devasted many of the urban neighborhoods in North and East Nashville that contained lots of Victorian and Queen Anne style townhomes. Downtown made way for new interstates, warehouses, industrial buildings, public housing, and manufacturing facilities that also took away from Nashville's earlier built environment. Nashville is older than Memphis and was founded in 1779, while Memphis wasn't founded until 1819. Another element to Nashville's less dense/suburban feel is topography. Nashville is very hilly, full of lakes, streams, natural barriers to development, whereas Memphis is mostly flat. Things are changing very rapidly in Nashville's core, however, for the better. Nashville, much like Austin and Charlotte, gets to start with a clean slate building many new developments from the ground up instead of doing restoration/renovation more typical of Midwestern/Northeastern style cities that boomed decades ago.
It is interesting how much development is going on in Nashville. One Bellevue Place opens soon.

One Bellevue Place Prepares to Open - NewsChannel 5 Nashville

Old 08-02-2017, 08:51 PM

1,683 posts, read 811,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Perspective from a non Tennessean:

There is a big perception difference nationally between them. Nashville is viewed as cool and hip while Memphis is viewed as high crime but with Beale Street.

My take on each...

Nashville- great/ diversified economy, lots of unique tourist places, pretty topography with hills and forest, great downtown. One thing I hate is the confusing interstate system combined with no complete beltline. It is by far the hardest city to drive through I've ever seen because routes are constantly joining and exiting each other.

Memphis - compact layout, nice waterfront in downtown and Mud Island development is cool, good barbecue. Like my metro area the big economy strength is having the FedEx (up here UPS) world hub, which creates lots of warehouse and trucking jobs.
As if the violent crime rate hasn't gone through the roof in Nashville lately?

I was looking at a crime rate comparison on best places dot net and while Memphis is solidly ahead of Nashville in the property crime department, it's virtually a dead heat in violent crime anymore.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:32 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
I also like Memphis' compact size and street layout. It's a rarity and breath of fresh air, especially in the south, when too many places take the "let's see how many far-flung towns we can string together" approach. That right there describes northwest Arkansas and half the state of North Carolina... and Nashville. Not my thing at all.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:15 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
I think I've responded to a different Nashville vs Memphis thread.

Nashville is a better place to live by a small margin. The lower unemployment rate and larger economy makes it a smarter choice at this time for me. I would agree that Nashville doesn't seem much safer then Memphis now days. It is more expensive. Both are a little too conservative and way too bible beltish for me and I don't think that will change. The first one to hit 3 million MSA would be the first one I would consider livable at that time.

Memphis is a better place to visit. I live in St. Louis and very seldom do I hear people say "we a taking a road trip to Nashville this weekend". I do hear many talk about going to Memphis for Memphis in May or something like. Nashville doesn't have the broad appeal that many on CD think they have. It's more hype then anything else.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 08-03-2017 at 07:36 AM..

Old 08-03-2017, 06:24 PM

811 posts, read 887,893 times
Quote:
Memphis is a better place to visit. I live in St. Louis and very seldom do I hear people say "we a taking a road trip to Nashville this weekend". I do hear many talk about going to Memphis for Memphis in May or something like. Nashville doesn't have the broad appeal that many on CD think they have. It's more hype then anything else.
I think geography has more to do with that. Here in Louisville, many, many people go down to Nashville for the weekend. In fact, I will be in Nashville this weekend. I don't think I have heard anyone mention Memphis for weekend trips and that is probably due to it being six hours away, where Nashville is only 2.5 hours down 65. Again, if I was in St. Louis, I would probably day trip to Memphis versus Nashville for the same reason, it's closer.

To answer the thread's question, I would probably choose Nashville. I like the vibe of Nashville and the economy seems strong.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:43 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
I think geography has more to do with that. Here in Louisville, many, many people go down to Nashville for the weekend. In fact, I will be in Nashville this weekend. I don't think I have heard anyone mention Memphis for weekend trips and that is probably due to it being six hours away, where Nashville is only 2.5 hours down 65. Again, if I was in St. Louis, I would probably day trip to Memphis versus Nashville for the same reason, it's closer.

To answer the thread's question, I would probably choose Nashville. I like the vibe of Nashville and the economy seems strong.
It isn't closer to St. Louis but it does have a different demographic appeal.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:59 AM

Nashville gets a lot of Midwest people visiting being so close to the region. I commonly see Illinois and Missouri plates. Indiana plates as well. The Kentucky plates are usually from Bowling Green.

Last edited by JMT; 09-02-2018 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: Louisville is not part of this thread.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:27 PM

382 posts, read 488,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereoutthere15 View Post
Even though it is nice to compare, I don't necessarily see the point at pitting the two cities against each other. They are still part of the same state and IMO enjoy a symbiotic relationship. Tennessee would be doing a lot better economically if it could find a way to replicate some of Nashville's success throughout the rest of the state.
Two years later, I am taking back this comment. Comparing cities is fun, case closed.

While I love Nashville and its growth and success, I often drive through Memphis on my way to see family and it is refreshing to see a mid-sized city in Tennessee retain local charm and, more importantly, not feature cringy billboards of gimmicky honkytonks.

Old 06-23-2022, 06:22 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Default Does anyone else prefer Memphis over Nashville?

I recently got back from a mini-vacation from Memphis.

Despite Memphis still being a rougher and more economically/population-wise stagnant compared to Nashville which has been on fire for awhile as far as people relocating, new construction, etc.

I find Memphis far more interesting and with a lot more soul than Nashville. Does anyone agree?

Memphis was ground zero for music that had a much broader appeal to a much wider population (Blues, Soul, Rockabilly) and broke down racial barriers. Elvis was one of the greatest pop stars of all time, and countless people who don't like country, still like Johnny Cash - both recorded at Sun Studios.

Delta Blues, early Rock and Roll inspired countless people and Memphis is home to essentially a national shrine at the Civil Rights museum at the Lorraine motel where MLK was shot.

Memphis is a city to immerse oneself in the most influential music of all time, as well as Black history.

Nashville on the other hand, is the hub of mainstream, popular country music, not the outlaw country of Austin, TC (which has broader appeal. Nashville country has always been more corporate that has zero "edge" to unlike say Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash) and now appeals to that type of transplant from the New York, California, Chicago, etc. that really has little to affinity for any products of Southern culture, and really only is interested in low taxes, abundant jobs, affordable large houses.

Am I being unfair or biased?

Does anyone agree with me?

Memphis feels more soulful and inspiring than Nashville to me personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee