Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 07:15 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times

Advertisements

Hi 2013, this thread is right in my wheelhouse so I'd be glad to help. I live in MD too, as the name indicates. I've been on a 3 year project to research retirement destinations as well, our timeline is about 8 years. Looking for low cost of living, mountains, and milder climate that is no colder then here but not oppressive in the summer we have focused on the Appalachians from Charlestown, WV, down 81 to Johnson City. We have researched everywhere in between and here is where we are:

The finalists appear to be Roanoke, VA and the area in and around Johnson City, TN. I am strongly pushing JC, wife is undecided. I'd be intersted to hear why you have dismissed Johnson City. Here is what I have learned:

Once you get out of the mountains the rest of Tennessee is going to be too hot for us. The summers in the mountains appear to be about the same as MD. Not the case in Nashville, Chattanooga etc, it's much hotter and the wife will have no part of that. I'm not a huge fan of the Tennessee winters, personally I'd prefer 8" of snow to the cold rain, ice mixture that they seem to get. But there is a little snow in Johnson City and I would miss that if I never had it, then it's gone by afternoon. And of course the winters are shorter and heating bills reflect this. We took a trip in August to JC to test the summer and it was very very pleasant. A drawback is there seems to be less bright sunny days compared to Maryland, a lot of hazy days but the upside it is takes the heat off.

Of the Tri-cities I prefer Johnson City to the others and it's not even close. The college town feel with all the young folks is appealing, Bristol was second but didn't have the mountain views as prevalent as JC and appeared to be a little rougher around the edges. I dismissed Kingsport immediately once I got a whiff of the factories. Of course you stated that you don't want JC, that's OK there are neighboring towns such as Elizabethon, Jonesborough and smaller towns just to the north.

Housing and taxes are dirt cheap but surprisingly everything else is comparable to MD. Groceries are actually higher because there is a tax on groceries and the overall sales tax is high, they have to make up for the lack of state income tax and lower property taxes somehow. But the way we figure it you can always control your spending, we can't control the $3,800 property tax bill that we will have to pay in June. And of course you can always cheat the system if you are buying a big ticket item by going across state lines. But you didn't hear that from me.

JC appeared to be the ideal size for us, think Frederick. It's just large enough to have most everything but a breeze to get around. It's also similar to Frederick in that it's in the middle of a huge revitalization. When I first visited JC in November '13 it was kind of dumpy and there was no way I was moving 7 hours from friends and family to an area I didn't like. But following along on the Tri Cities thread here on CD I learned of the changes, took 2 more trips, and fell in love. Roanoke is nice but it just didn't have that same feel. And even though Roanoke is larger it's kind of out there all alone. From JC you have many options: Asheville for lunch is only a one hour beautiful drive away. Bristol for music or just to go somewhere else is much closer, all the needs of a big city can be met with a 90 minute drive to Knoxville.

The restaurant scene in JC was surprisingly good with a lot of variety, another concern of mine was it would be all Applebees. On the contrary, lots of ethnic foods. No crab cakes but what are you gonna do there.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 04-15-2016 at 08:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 03:12 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Hi 2013, this thread is right in my wheelhouse so I'd be glad to help. I live in MD too, as the name indicates. I've been on a 3 year project to research retirement destinations as well, our timeline is about 8 years. Looking for low cost of living, mountains, and milder climate that is no colder then here but not oppressive in the summer we have focused on the Appalachians from Charlestown, WV, down 81 to Johnson City. We have researched everywhere in between and here is where we are:

The finalists appear to be Roanoke, VA and the area in and around Johnson City, TN. I am strongly pushing JC, wife is undecided. I'd be intersted to hear why you have dismissed Johnson City. Here is what I have learned:

Once you get out of the mountains the rest of Tennessee is going to be too hot for us. The summers in the mountains appear to be about the same as MD. Not the case in Nashville, Chattanooga etc, it's much hotter and the wife will have no part of that. I'm not a huge fan of the Tennessee winters, personally I'd prefer 8" of snow to the cold rain, ice mixture that they seem to get. But there is a little snow in Johnson City and I would miss that if I never had it, then it's gone by afternoon. And of course the winters are shorter and heating bills reflect this. We took a trip in August to JC to test the summer and it was very very pleasant. A drawback is there seems to be less bright sunny days compared to Maryland, a lot of hazy days but the upside it is takes the heat off.

Of the Tri-cities I prefer Johnson City to the others and it's not even close. The college town feel with all the young folks is appealing, Bristol was second but didn't have the mountain views as prevalent as JC and appeared to be a little rougher around the edges. I dismissed Kingsport immediately once I got a whiff of the factories. Of course you stated that you don't want JC, that's OK there are neighboring towns such as Elizabethon, Jonesborough and smaller towns just to the north.

Housing and taxes are dirt cheap but surprisingly everything else is comparable to MD. Groceries are actually higher because there is a tax on groceries and the overall sales tax is high, they have to make up for the lack of state income tax and lower property taxes somehow. But the way we figure it you can always control your spending, we can't control the $3,800 property tax bill that we will have to pay in June. And of course you can always cheat the system if you are buying a big ticket item by going across state lines. But you didn't hear that from me.

JC appeared to be the ideal size for us, think Frederick. It's just large enough to have most everything but a breeze to get around. It's also similar to Frederick in that it's in the middle of a huge revitalization. When I first visited JC in November '13 it was kind of dumpy and there was no way I was moving 7 hours from friends and family to an area I didn't like. But following along on the Tri Cities thread here on CD I learned of the changes, took 2 more trips, and fell in love. Roanoke is nice but it just didn't have that same feel. And even though Roanoke is larger it's kind of out there all alone. From JC you have many options: Asheville for lunch is only a one hour beautiful drive away. Bristol for music or just to go somewhere else is much closer, all the needs of a big city can be met with a 90 minute drive to Knoxville.

The restaurant scene in JC was surprisingly good with a lot of variety, another concern of mine was it would be all Applebees. On the contrary, lots of ethnic foods. No crab cakes but what are you gonna do there.

Have you considered Cookeville, TN?

https://www.city-data.com/city/Cookeville-Tennessee.html

Old 04-17-2016, 03:46 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
Not really, we don't really want to move much further away from friends amd family than the Tri-Cities. We'll be coming back a lot as well as to a friend's cabin in PA, another friend's MD beach house etc.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:19 AM

284 posts, read 362,412 times
If you've not looked at Tellico Village, just outside Lenoir City, which is about 20 miles SW of Knoxville, you might take a look. We honestly feel like we found our little slice of retirement heaven there. It's a boating and golf community of around 7,000, that's built along the edge of a beautiful, clean lake (Lake Tellico). The development was started back in the 80's and has continued to grow and appears very stable. The amenities are all top notch, including several marinas, a yacht club, 3 golf courses, state of the art wellness center and a rec center with indoor and outdoor pools and all the fitness equipment you could ever need, tennis, pickleball, walking trails, a dog park, tons of clubs and activities to pick and choose from, and overall really down to earth, friendly people.

Here's a link: An Active Senior Living Retirement Community | Tellico Village

And from everything we've seen, these videos are pretty spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee