Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 08:59 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralj View Post
Great thread LauraC! We have been thinking of moving from KY to TN. Partly because of no income tax. But each time I locate an area of interest, there is always some deal breaker. Mostly crime. I just can't get over how much crime there is in TN. Even small towns that have good ratings are next to areas of crime. Its very disappointing. And the cost of groceries is higher than here, and the sales tax is higher.
Crime in a lot of TN is very high, but it's mostly drug/domestic crime and not random murders, etc. You live in northern KY, so I'm guessing Boone/Kenton counties, which are considerably nicer/safer than most of TN/KY. You're going to find a lot of the same problems in small town/rural TN as you will in KY. If you stick to more affluent areas around Knoxville, Nashville, and Chattanooga, you can probably find a similar experience to NKY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 07:07 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
Crime can be localized. I live in a "poor" area of Knoxville but have honest, stay at home neighbors so no/little crime. The disadvantage of a rural area is no one sees your house when you are gone. Dogs would help.

I'm not sure the crime would be worse than rural KY. I have read it is reported differently than other states thus the higher crime rates.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:24 AM

536 posts, read 961,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Crime in a lot of TN is very high, but it's mostly drug/domestic crime and not random murders, etc. You live in northern KY, so I'm guessing Boone/Kenton counties, which are considerably nicer/safer than most of TN/KY. You're going to find a lot of the same problems in small town/rural TN as you will in KY. If you stick to more affluent areas around Knoxville, Nashville, and Chattanooga, you can probably find a similar experience to NKY.
I'm in Grant county now, which is kind of on the line I guess. There are a lot of drugs in my area. Not so much in the town I live in, but in the county. Teen pregnancy is high too. I have not been personally affected by crime here. When we lived in Florence, our car got broken into, and there were cops calls all around us. I feel safer here than I did there. My town is about 4000 population. Its very quite here. I live in a family type neighborhood, surrounded by farms.

I still love going down to TN, and I don't believe I have fully given up on maybe moving there. I like small towns near a larger area. Knoxville is beautiful. I love driving through there. I love the mountains. I've thought about looking into Marysville, or somewhere around there or more to the east near Greenville. Also thought seriously about Cookeville area. I have a lot of time to look around.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:55 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Gasoline at my neighborhood Shell station yesterday was $2.95.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:24 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Gasoline at my neighborhood Shell station yesterday was $2.95.
Paid $2.87 when I got gasoline this weekend.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:11 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Paid $2.87 when I got gasoline this weekend.
It's $2.66 in Lebanon.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 10-23-2014, 03:17 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,469,257 times
Or $2.63 with a Kroger Plus Card.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:28 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,803,938 times
Default I know, older post, but so worth it to bump up

Laura, as always, Excellent post! With all of the info you've gathered, this post should be pinned.

I remember when you first moved to Oak Ridge. And I'm still in Western PA. Not retired yet.
At this point in time, we may look at condos, perhaps in the Chattanooga area. I'm a country gal, remember sleeping with the front door wide open. I'd love acreage, but I also need to face facts that myself and hubby are getting older, and will be retired soon. I still want a country setting, if that's possible for a condo, so when we're ready to move, I'll specify that.
Hubby loves Florida, I prefer Tennessee.
Hubby doesn't want to shovel anymore snow. Gee, surprise, surprise for a typical northerner.
I'll just need to get hubby to vacation in TN, instead of Florida, before retirement. We have to take vacations in the winter anyway, since he works road construction and gets laid off early December to mid April.
You make me want to check out Oak Ridge, but I doubt we could afford anything there.

Hope all is well!

Blessings, Shen

Old 04-15-2015, 03:21 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
Hint: you may not need to shovel snow - just buy some good snow boots and walk through the snow. Step in a different spot next time and you won't hit slick ice.

There are some inexpensive houses in Oak Ridge if you don't mind the old war era houses. Many have been remodeled and are still less than new construction.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:46 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenandoah View Post
Laura, as always, Excellent post! With all of the info you've gathered, this post should be pinned.

I remember when you first moved to Oak Ridge. And I'm still in Western PA. Not retired yet.
At this point in time, we may look at condos, perhaps in the Chattanooga area. I'm a country gal, remember sleeping with the front door wide open. I'd love acreage, but I also need to face facts that myself and hubby are getting older, and will be retired soon. I still want a country setting, if that's possible for a condo, so when we're ready to move, I'll specify that.
Hubby loves Florida, I prefer Tennessee.
Hubby doesn't want to shovel anymore snow. Gee, surprise, surprise for a typical northerner.
I'll just need to get hubby to vacation in TN, instead of Florida, before retirement. We have to take vacations in the winter anyway, since he works road construction and gets laid off early December to mid April.
You make me want to check out Oak Ridge, but I doubt we could afford anything there.

Hope all is well!

Blessings, Shen
Try Seymour.Low taxes and 20minutes to Knoxville, Maryville or Sevierville/Pigeon Forge. Rural community with all the daily shopping within a few minutes and more 20 or so minutes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee