Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2007, 06:33 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,806,301 times

Advertisements

I came across this a while back while doing some related research, and thought it very poignant. There were no survivors of the Fraterville (Anderson Co.) mine explosion, one of the deadliest mining disasters in US history with over 200 killed.

Although most testimony about coal mining disasters came from survivors and observers, the men who suffocated to death in the Fraterville, Tennessee mines in May 1902 left behind their own grim account. Trapped in the mine after an explosion and with their air rapidly depleting, they wrote letters to their loved ones describing their final moments.
"Oh God, For One More Breath": Early 20th century Tennessee Coal Miners' Last Words

More info on the Fraterville disaster:
TN Encyclopedia: FRATERVILLE MINE DISASTER (http://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/imagegallery.php?EntryID=F063 - broken link)

On a related note: Local archaeologist helps restore Coal Creek War site

It might come as a surprise, but one of the last wars ever fought on American soil happened right here in East Tennessee. The Coal Creek War of 1891 centered around the miners of Anderson County. Now, more than a 100 years later, volunteers are turning the old battle ground into a historical site.
WBIR.COM - Local archaeologist help restore Coal Creek War site (http://www.wbir.com/life/programming/local/liveatfive/story.aspx?storyid=35605 - broken link)

Additional info on both the war & the mine explosion:
COAL CREEK: WAR AND DISASTERS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 06:57 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Default What a sad page out of TN history. And, it is only one of many.

Kamoshika, these are truly sad and moving accounts of the final minutes of these men and boys.

And, yet today, we still see that all around the world, miners are still dying. Many work under horrendous conditions risking their lives every day to earn a living.

I remember growing up in N PA and hearing the frequent reports of mine disasters in Wilkes-Barre, Scranton, Hazelton, Berwick, and so many other PA towns. It never came as a surprise.

I think it is commendable of any small, poor town to pay such homage to these brave men. It seems that the good people of Fraterville did just that.

Thank you for all of your research. We need to see someone without legs sometimes to stop feeling sorry for ourselves because we have no shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee