Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 01:06 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times

Advertisements

So I checked Trulia since I haven't heard any prices in Tennessee were suddenly out of line.

Most recent median sales prices:

Memphis 86,250

Bell Buckle 92,900

Bristol 100,267

Kingsport 109,400

Chattanooga 109,900

Johnson City 126,519

Knoxville 134,284

Murfreesboro 144,000 (Where 12buttons use to live!)

Nashville 160,000

Collierville 269,000 (Memphis suburb)

Franklin 320,000

Brentwood 378,000

Johnson City seems a bit "highish" considering the area but I think it might be attracting retirees. Not my cup of tea but it looks like there are plenty of other places to choose from in the northeast part of the state. Bristol and Kingsport prices don't seem out of whack at all nor does any other area on this list.

The OP lives in Buffalo, NY where the median sales price is now $82,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 06:58 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,508,029 times
Mod Note: Moved to main TN forum and title changed since the posts actually were about housing prices all over the state and not just Knoxville.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:59 PM

385 posts, read 1,113,537 times
I don't think the tri-cities are expensive, at all. You must not be looking very hard.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:39 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
OP your attitude is so ... off-putting. Have you ever actually been here?

I'm thinking you have this really poor preconceived notion of what you think Tennessee is like based on the way you pooh-pooh what the agents are telling you. You threw all these grenades in the Nashville forum earlier this week, and now you're here, rolling your eyes and sticking your tongue out.

Do you WANT to move here or not?

The truth is that Tennessee has been attracting a lot of attention (in part because of the TV show but in reality because of the friendly people, low taxes and well-managed state govt) and a lot of people want to move here. So ... rising demand with a limited supply means ... increased prices.

Yes, the stories you've heard are true. I had a neighbor who listed her house last month in the mid-$400s and had four offers the first day. Two went into a bidding war, and she signed a contract for $12K over asking price.

So do you want help or do you just want to *****?

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 03-23-2013 at 08:20 PM..

Old 03-23-2013, 07:57 PM

550 posts, read 1,283,165 times
Rural west TN has low prices. Where I live the median house value was just below $93,000 in 2009 and median rent was just below $500.

But I second Wmsn4Life's opinion of the OP.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:14 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Hell I'm buying a 3000 sq ft home for 212000, appraised for 226.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:24 PM

880 posts, read 1,416,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
what areas would you say get the highest dollars per sq ft in the metro region?
What areas are considered cheapest?

Which would you consider to be underpriced, (or a better bargain)?
How's the spring market going so far? How's the inventory? Which market is hottest? Sub 200k? 200-300k? I doubt it's the 300k-nosebleed prices...

As a buyer, I just started my search into TN..so I made a few calls to get the tone of the market in some areas..of course agents are the LAST ones to ask ..ya know it's always raining house contracts where they live...

for instance,I heard houses are flying off the market in Nashville ( somethin' to do with that dang new TV show...everybody wants to move next door to Nicole Kidman I guess) Outside of Nashville, not so crazy but stable.

And I had an agent in Memphis tell me that if you see a house online today, chances are it will be sold by the time you git yer butt down here and buy buy buy...and never mind about that silly old school issue in Germantown or crime in the city or our ridiculous taxes!!

Then I checked out Johnson City and Kingsport and Bristol ..yikes --the house prices there are expensive!!!!
What's that all about? It's not like you're getting a ton of services or WHole Foods, Trader Joes type shopping...is it the mountain air or the ????

Where's the biggest bang for your buck these days anyway? With ample inventory so you don't have to go chasing or bidding up a house?

2013 is a very tricky market for buyers...
East TN; and while the market is improving the prices are not changing significantly, just inventory being sold and a few new ones built.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:13 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,906,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
OP your attitude is so ... off-putting. Have you ever actually been here?

I'm thinking you have this really poor preconceived notion of what you think Tennessee is like based on the way you pooh-pooh what the agents are telling you. You threw all these grenades in the Nashville forum earlier this week, and now you're here, rolling your eyes and sticking your tongue out.

Do you WANT to move here or not?

The truth is that Tennessee has been attracting a lot of attention (in part because of the TV show but in reality because of the friendly people, low taxes and well-managed state govt) and a lot of people want to move here. So ... rising demand with a limited supply means ... increased prices.

Yes, the stories you've heard are true. I had a neighbor who listed her house last month in the mid-$400s and had four offers the first day. Two went into a bidding war, and she signed a contract for $12K over asking price.

So do you want help or do you just want to *****?
not that I have to explain myself to you especially considering your personal attack, but I lived in Nashville for a year before purchasing a home in Rutherford county and lived there for five years. I still own investment property in the nashville area. Please do me a favor and do not respond to any of my posts.
I think an apology from you is in order.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:33 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,845,186 times
Quote:
not that I have to explain myself to you especially considering your personal attack, but I lived in Nashville for a year before purchasing a home in Rutherford county and lived there for five years. I still own investment property in the nashville area. Please do me a favor and do not respond to any of my posts.
I have to agree with wmsn here. Many on the Nashville forum have tried to give you advice and be courteous but you always derail threads and continue to complain without taking the advice. I'm not sure what you're looking to get out of this forum with that kind of attitude.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:18 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,339,591 times
Quote:
You'll get nothing and like it.

For someone that has lived in the area for 6 years, you don't seem to have picked up on...anything. While I am generally happy with the thought of you moving away from here, I do feel bad seeing that you're looking elsewhere in Tennessee, and that you'll be a thorn in another area of the forum's side for years to come.

Have you thought about Kentucky?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee