Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 04:51 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,549 times

Advertisements

Anybody ever been? A few lookers on the weekend? Any reason to go there? I drove by Alexandria - it looked green and hilly - where is the nicest place to live around there? Any wealth live in Alexandria or mostly poor farmers and lower middle class?

What about Watertown?

Problem with these towns are so few people and what people there are are not very educated or make good salaries..I ask because I would like to open a antique business and scouting areas..Lebanon and Carthage are also on the list..thanks ..where would you start a biz?

12b
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 08:03 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
where would you start a biz?

12b
In a tourist area for sure.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
Problem with these towns are so few people and what people there are are not very educated or make good salaries..
12b
How do you know this if you know nothing about the towns? That is a sterotyped comment if I ever heard one.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:39 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
How do you know this if you know nothing about the towns? That is a sterotyped comment if I ever heard one.
Your comment makes no sense and you're
wrong. I drove through Alexandria at least six times and each time it was deader than a doornail..wanted to know if it ever sees any action. I have also researched the entire Carthage area along with Alexandria and Watertown. Even the residents I spoke to agree with my impression. You'd think Gore would have left a better legacy.

Last edited by 12buttons; 10-25-2007 at 01:43 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 10-25-2007, 06:15 AM

I'm not even going to bother to respond to this. LMAO

Old 10-25-2007, 08:49 AM

421 posts, read 1,690,556 times
Yes,"downtown" Alexandria is graveyard dead.Nice enough place but that's a fact.Dosen't change...Hasn't in years.

If you've been there 6 times you'd know this.Same with Watertown & to some extent Carthage.

BTW,what type of "business" are you looking to start & WHY look in these tiny places to do it?...

firepower

Old 06-16-2008, 12:38 AM

634 posts, read 1,419,409 times
It is the ''Home Of The finest Folks On Earth'', the sign says so

It's an old town, many of the older folks didn't go to school cause they had to work as kids.Families in these parts still ''pull together'' to this day, but kids do go to school nowdays. Life is laid back here, very laid back.The newspaper here has had write-up's about how outsiders feel about this area after they move here,and I've seen it written for them to head back to where ever they came from if they don't like it here.DeKalb county don't like change.The folks say they don't want the area to become congested like other places and they enjoy the piece and quiet this area has to offer. I've seen farms sell but before being sold the owners hired a lawyer to restrict the land so it can't be sub-devided, that keeps contractors out.Most say if they want to see big city lights or have a night on the town, they take a vacation to drive there, then come back home to Gods country.To most, just living here is a year long vacation anyways.Here,money ain't everything,and it don't cost alot to live here.Fitting in with the locals is another story though as they are a close net community three towns in a row.Three towns share the same school k through 8'th grade and most parents know most of the kids by name in that school. I know a great deal of them myself.

See the ''Mule'' on the rock bluff on HWY 70 in Liberty.The state started a 4 lane HWY and was going to blast the bluff.Needless to say, the locals fought it and after the picture of the mule made it to Capitol Hill, the state ended up building the HWY around him.

Money? There's not much to offer out here but the folks are very happy with what they have. Our own kids were born here as are most others and know about everyone. I think thats more important than money to know our kids ''feel right at home and know they are''.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:29 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Would you open a store that sells tractors in Manhattan?

Old 06-16-2008, 06:36 AM

103 posts, read 334,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-1080 View Post
It is the ''Home Of The finest Folks On Earth'', the sign says so

It's an old town, many of the older folks didn't go to school cause they had to work as kids.Families in these parts still ''pull together'' to this day, but kids do go to school nowdays. Life is laid back here, very laid back.The newspaper here has had write-up's about how outsiders feel about this area after they move here,and I've seen it written for them to head back to where ever they came from if they don't like it here.DeKalb county don't like change.The folks say they don't want the area to become congested like other places and they enjoy the piece and quiet this area has to offer. I've seen farms sell but before being sold the owners hired a lawyer to restrict the land so it can't be sub-devided, that keeps contractors out.Most say if they want to see big city lights or have a night on the town, they take a vacation to drive there, then come back home to Gods country.To most, just living here is a year long vacation anyways.Here,money ain't everything,and it don't cost alot to live here.Fitting in with the locals is another story though as they are a close net community three towns in a row.Three towns share the same school k through 8'th grade and most parents know most of the kids by name in that school. I know a great deal of them myself.

See the ''Mule'' on the rock bluff on HWY 70 in Liberty.The state started a 4 lane HWY and was going to blast the bluff.Needless to say, the locals fought it and after the picture of the mule made it to Capitol Hill, the state ended up building the HWY around him.

Money? There's not much to offer out here but the folks are very happy with what they have. Our own kids were born here as are most others and know about everyone. I think thats more important than money to know our kids ''feel right at home and know they are''.

Hear! Hear!

Old 06-16-2008, 09:18 AM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
RS-1080
You folks need to show the rest of us how its done! Stick to your guns. Im in Monterey/Cookeville/Crossville and its sad seeing how things are changing due to all the development. I'll never understand why people think small rural communities need improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee