Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 04:53 PM

9 posts, read 20,652 times

Advertisements

We are looking at purchasing a home in Pulaski or Taft area. Any advice on either area as far as outdoor things to do? Education (elem, middle, high)? Crime? Etc.

We were planning on moving to Huntsville but can't find a home with the land we would like without crossing the border so looking for opinions on areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 05:16 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times
I had never heard of Taft, to be honest.

My question would be, are you looking to be close to Huntsville or not? Pulaski is a good 40-45 miles from Huntsville (and none of it on an interstate).

Taft is quite a bit closer. But it appears to just be a wide spot in the road. If I were looking for somewhere in Tennessee that is (relatively) close to Huntsville, but had enough "town" amenities, I would look at either Ardmore (which is split between TN and AL), which is about 20 miles from Huntsville, or Fayetteville, which is about 30 miles away. Ardmore a small town, but there's actually stuff there. Fayetteville is bigger than Ardmore, and a county seat.

The other place I would look at is Fayetteville, which is a larger town (about the same as Pulaski) but about 10 miles closer to Huntsville.

The advantage with Ardmore is its not only closer to Huntsville, but just off of I-65, so it also has easy access to Nashville and Birmingham.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,436,420 times
nashvols - Taft is basically a four way stop with a gas station / convenience store and a few churches. There's lots of outdoors in Taft and the Elk River isn't far - in fact just up Old Railroad Bed Road there is a historic steel truss bridge crossing the Elk. PreK - 8 students go to Blanche School (better than TCAP avg) in Taft then on to Lincoln County HS in Fayetteville. Crime? Not really - avoid drugs and really avoid selling drugs - those people will kill you (there was a string of murders near Fayetteville recently - arrests were made very quickly).

That part of Tennessee is beautiful. Very rural with some nice old towns along the railroad (you may want to look at Dellrose). Lots of new construction, too - people looking for acreage.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:10 AM

880 posts, read 1,415,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpaknpeach View Post
We are looking at purchasing a home in Pulaski or Taft area. Any advice on either area as far as outdoor things to do? Education (elem, middle, high)? Crime? Etc.

We were planning on moving to Huntsville but can't find a home with the land we would like without crossing the border so looking for opinions on areas.
I had a friend living in Pulaski and his family had lived there about 20 years. His main complaint was that while the "locals" were friendly, they were only so superficially. If you aint' from there you ain't part of the "community". Beautiful area, but I would look at a city with more diversity as to the populations origin. Don't know about Taft.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:26 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,186,506 times
They are two entirely different kinds of places. Taft is tied to Fayetteville just down the road, and as Reactionary said, it's a 4-way stop with a country store, a couple of churches and a post office. Most of it other than the cluster at the stop sign is all country.

Taft is closer to Huntsville than Pulaski and many many folks that live in the Taft area work in Huntswill. Kids in the Taft area attend Lincoln County schools. There is a private school in Fayetteville, Riverside Christian Academy.

Pulaski is to Giles County what Fayetteville is to Lincoln County. County seat, population center of the county and a real town as opposed to Taft.

So, choice is country living in Taft area with Huntsville close, or small town living in Pulaski further from work.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:24 PM

231 posts, read 595,348 times
Default Pulaski vs taft tn

Taft is not even a Town, just a Community. They may have a Convenience store, but thats about it. Pulaski is around 15000 people and rather backward. There is only one fairly decent restaurant. Crime rate is low, dunno about the schools except that they squander loads of money. Countryside is hilly and very pretty. You don't want to go to the local hospital for anything serious, nor the one in Columbia. excellent med. care is available at Vanderbuilt in Nashville or at various of their clinics in Franklin-they also have remote clinics all over the State which operate on specific days of the week.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:51 AM

93 posts, read 202,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I had never heard of Taft, to be honest.

My question would be, are you looking to be close to Huntsville or not? Pulaski is a good 40-45 miles from Huntsville (and none of it on an interstate).
What?

Take 64 over to I-65. I-65 south to 565.

Yes, the shortest route isn't interstate (64 to 31 to 53).

Old 02-11-2013, 01:47 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb256 View Post
What?

Take 64 over to I-65. I-65 south to 565.

Yes, the shortest route isn't interstate (64 to 31 to 53).
Right, as in the route you would actually take.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:27 PM

93 posts, read 202,765 times
It all depends. I think the freeway might be faster during rush hour. 53 gets all backed up, hopefully that will change sometime this year with the new lanes.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:02 PM

231 posts, read 595,348 times
Default Pulaski Tb vs Taft

I partially agree with Nashvols. Pulaski is around 45 miles North of Huntsville. The closest route is down hwy 31/53 which is a 2 lane with a traffic back in the edge of Huntsville-partial correction of this is underway. Factor in a number of slooow Tn. drivers and you are in for a lengthy drive. Taft is on Hwy 110 (2 lane) between Ardmore and Fayetteville so without driving some remote, slow roads you either have to go to Fayetteville or Ardmore to get to Huntsville. Fayetteville is better since the Hwy from there to Huntsville is 4 lane. Basically I would suggest that you try to live in the Fayetteville area since the commute would be far better and Fayetteville is a more preferable Town to live in. People who live in Pulaski commute to both Huntsville and the Nashville metro area to work, but driving to Huntsville daily is just not very practical. Ardmore is a dump and I'm being charitable with that description.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee