Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 01:56 PM

352 posts, read 885,887 times

Advertisements

I will state my bias towards Chattanooga, LOL, since I have lived here all my life and it only gets better and better. From the "epi center" of downtown Chattanooga, you have Ooltewah, Soddy Daisy, Sale Creek, Hixson, Harrison, Collegedale. All of those areas are within 30 minutes to downtown for the "touristy" stuff and fabulous restaruants, riverfront, free concerts, canoeing, sightseeing, museums, etc, etc. You can also check out the outdoors, which we are known for, www.outdoorchattanooga.com . You can find the info on the schools here www.hcde.org and crime stats here www.right2know.com . I would also like to comment, most of our crime is committed as a "criminal on criminal" act. This town is taking steps to curb and stop the gangs.
As far as schools go, we have some of the BEST in the nation, private schools if a public school doesn't interest you. If you have the money.
Also, tons of cheap to free stuff to do all over this town and outlaying areas, I don't think you can ever get bored, and for kids, that is good. We are also close to Nashville, Atlanta, Knoxville and 6 hours to a beach (Tybee) I do day trips to Nashville and Atlanta when I want to go to IKEA , etc.
In a nutshell, go to the Chattanooga forum and read thru and see what others moving here have found.
Good luck with whatever you do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 02:38 PM

5,244 posts, read 16,471,283 times
To add to the great info, if you're looking in a city, you're less likely to deal with the nepotism. I moved here from Florida as well (Naples) and we're in Van Buren County, VERY rural. VERY tiny. My town has less than 200 people. I worked for the sheriff's office in FLorida for a long time. Handled officer involved shootings, a riot, pursuits, etc on a near daily basis. Loved it. Thrived in it. Applied at my local county department here when an opening came up. They didn't hire me even though I was told I was the only applicant that even met their requirements. They hired someone who was related to someone on the county board. *shrug* It's common here. But when I applied for a job in Nashville, no problem at all. The bigger cities are full of people from other states. It's a very different world than the smaller counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee