Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:12 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times

Advertisements

It is going to be interesting to see how much smoke you have to go through to get in and out of the front door of establishments.

I saw a neat bumper sticker that said: "At least it is still legal to smoke in my own car".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 10:51 AM

11,104 posts, read 9,748,456 times
We've had a smoking ban in public buildings, restaurants, bars, etc. for several years here and they had to make another law, after the initial smoking ban, to say no smoking within 20 feet of the entrance to the buildings.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:42 AM

14 posts, read 41,761 times
To each his own, but personally, I don't smoke and don't care for having someone near me smoking, either. Just yesterday I was at a restaurant with my family grabbing dinner after a movie and as we sat outside on a bench waiting for our party to be called, a lady next to me was puffing away at her coffin nail. Immediately, my daughter and youngest son made the usual "what's that terrible smell" comment. Admittedly, we were outside of the restaurant and she was in her right to smoke there, but that doesn't mean we enjoyed it. I just believe that if a smoker wants to exercise their right to smoke, they should respect those around them and take it to an area where the second-hand smoke doesn't bother anyone.

Just my two cents.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:58 AM

364 posts, read 1,112,308 times
I hate to see peoples personal rights taken away but in this case I am all for it. Smoking is one of those rights that infringes on other peoples rights, not to mention the health issues.

When I was on vacation up there, my family went out to dinner and to my disgust someone was smoking next to us and I ended up taking my son outside so he would not breath in all the smoke. My next scouting trip should be a more enjoyable.

I dont have anything against smokers but it has its time and place and a restaurant is not it. One of the few things Florida has done right was pass this law a long time ago.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:27 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,630,018 times
Today's the day. AMEN!

Hopefully businesses will comply. If fines are enforced, this will go much faster and more smoothly than if they're lax.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:31 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,660,439 times
Tennessee has been slow to act because tobacco was a big cash crop in East Tennessee. There was a lot of opposition to anti-smoking laws.
North Carolina is much worse when it comes to smoking.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:54 PM

37,796 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Tennessee has been slow to act because tobacco was a big cash crop in East Tennessee. There was a lot of opposition to anti-smoking laws.
North Carolina is much worse when it comes to smoking.
Well, now we're going to pay farmers to grow switchgrass for biofuel. Can you smoke switchgrass?

Old 10-01-2007, 02:05 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,207,730 times
Hmmmm . . . since the state and now the federal government have got so many big plans that depend on tobacco tax . . . shouldn't we be encouraging people to smoke? I mean, they're certainly encouraging them to gamble.

;-) (just teasing!)

Old 10-01-2007, 06:32 PM

445 posts, read 1,682,772 times
Default Taken from USA today

Nashville - A ban on smoking in most restaurants and office buildings statewide went into effect Monday. Health Commissioner Susan Cooper says officials will try to educate people the first few months before cracking down. Violators are subject to a civil penalty of $50. Businesses also face fines up to $500 after repeat violations.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:00 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,361,454 times
I have a smoking ban in my house and truck. It went into effect the day I quit smoking. LOL
Actually my house is brand new and I do not allow smoking in it. Only one person stopped visiting me because she couldn't smoke. I don't consider her a friend if something so minor bothered her.
Maine has a high tax on cigarettes....$2 per pack. Average cost of cigarettes here is $5.50 a pack. Glad I quit when I did in 1999 when they were under $3 a pack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee