Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 10:10 PM

701 posts, read 2,032,459 times

Advertisements

2012 NFL free agency -- Peyton Manning meets with Tennessee Titans for over eight hours - ESPN

Old 03-15-2012, 09:46 AM

And no one cares. Cool.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:59 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,349,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat02 View Post
And no one cares. Cool.
Nah, I've just noticed that this is not really a sports-crazy forum. I'm sure some of the people who post here care (I mean, I do!), but this isn't the primary reason we post on these boards.

It might work better in the Nashville Chat Thread than in the main forum.

Back on topic, though...I think (if he's healthy) Peyton would be a great addition to the Titans' offense. Obviously he's an elite QB, even if he's getting up there in age. I don't think that it turns us into a Superbowl contender, if it happens, but at the very least, we should be planning to make the playoffs.

I do sort of feel for Matt Hasselbeck in all of this. He did everything that was asked of him last season, and I think he did a fine job. One more year of Hasselbeck wouldn't be a bad thing...but I think Adams knows that the opportunity with Manning isn't going to come up again...and he might not have another opportunity to snag such an elite level QB while he is still alive.

I think there is also the added benefit of perhaps bringing some of the "lost sheep" East Tennessee Colts fans who followed Peyton with their loyalty rather than the Titans, which hadn't had a chance to establish themselves in Tennessee, yet. Should make for a more solid statewide following.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:50 PM

I agree with your points. I think it's neat that Manning was a UT Volunteer and his wife is a Memphis native. Not to mention Peyton's father Archie played football with one of the Titans' notable people (I don't remember if it was the coach or manager). It'd be like he's coming home, finishing out his career in the state where it all began. Not to mention, apparently the offer of serving on the team's management post playing career has been extended to him. Like what John Elway is to the Broncos.

Last edited by Beat02; 03-15-2012 at 01:46 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 09:40 PM

67 posts, read 104,085 times
Oh, trust me I care! LOL I'm hoping he chooses Tennessee. I've always been torn between rooting for the Tennessee Titans, and Peyton as they are in the same conference and division. Once they released Peyton, it was over with the Colts. For me, it would be the ultimate dream. My favorite team with my favorite player. I just hope I'm not setting myself up for disappointment. I keep telling myself he has strong ties with the state of Tennessee. I also imagine it would be nice to be closer to family now they have the twins. BTW, I'm pretty sure Eli married a Tennessean as well. I keep telling myself all these things hoping and dreaming. Enough already. I wish he would decide soon. It's killing me.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:58 AM

I never even paid attention to Peyton Manning that much because I had little interest in the Colts, and I've only gotten into football within the last several years. I didn't really grow up watching it. I'm aware of how good of a player he is though, a legend. I'm eagerly awaiting with every other sports fan to see where he lands. I hope the decision is made soon.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:26 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,341,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Nah, I've just noticed that this is not really a sports-crazy forum. I'm sure some of the people who post here care (I mean, I do!), but this isn't the primary reason we post on these boards.

It might work better in the Nashville Chat Thread than in the main forum.

Back on topic, though...I think (if he's healthy) Peyton would be a great addition to the Titans' offense. Obviously he's an elite QB, even if he's getting up there in age. I don't think that it turns us into a Superbowl contender, if it happens, but at the very least, we should be planning to make the playoffs.

I do sort of feel for Matt Hasselbeck in all of this. He did everything that was asked of him last season, and I think he did a fine job. One more year of Hasselbeck wouldn't be a bad thing...but I think Adams knows that the opportunity with Manning isn't going to come up again...and he might not have another opportunity to snag such an elite level QB while he is still alive.

I think there is also the added benefit of perhaps bringing some of the "lost sheep" East Tennessee Colts fans who followed Peyton with their loyalty rather than the Titans, which hadn't had a chance to establish themselves in Tennessee, yet. Should make for a more solid statewide following.
Well said. This forum doesn't necessarily reflect local opinion or even the vibe. It's for people looking to make a move and the locals trying to help. Period. We tend to socialize and talk about the things important to us off of CD. Most people I know will discuss Peyton all day long but not on here.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:31 AM

712 posts, read 1,489,839 times
The fact that the board doesnt talk about such things is a shame in my opinion, and is one of the main reasons that there is a natural ceiling in terms of how active it will be. It would be great if we would start talking about issues like this also.

As far as Peyton, I think it would be great for the Nashville economy and from a Northeast TN perspective, it would give most of us a reason to like the Titans. There are more Colts fans in my part of the state than Titans fans. These fans will follow Peyton, but if he goes to the Titans they might actually stay a fan after he retires, which would only help the economy more.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:59 AM

13,358 posts, read 40,010,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchometeam View Post
The fact that the board doesnt talk about such things is a shame in my opinion, and is one of the main reasons that there is a natural ceiling in terms of how active it will be. It would be great if we would start talking about issues like this also.

As far as Peyton, I think it would be great for the Nashville economy and from a Northeast TN perspective, it would give most of us a reason to like the Titans. There are more Colts fans in my part of the state than Titans fans. These fans will follow Peyton, but if he goes to the Titans they might actually stay a fan after he retires, which would only help the economy more.
Yeah I've been very disappointed that so many people in Knoxville prefer the Colts over the Titans, and it's pretty much just because of Peyton Manning.

At any rate, the offer that Titans owner Bud Adams extended to Peyton is life long, meaning even after Peyton is no longer playing, he's guaranteed a job in the Titans front office. That should help the Titans gain more life-long fans throughout the state, particularly in East Tennessee.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-16-2012, 10:42 AM

67 posts, read 104,085 times
According to a news release on NFL.Com, Peyton is to work out for the Broncos and Titans. Miami has already been told that he isn't interested, and they say that Arizona is "essentially out the race" and possibly working on retaining Kolb. Of course everyone has an opinion, and that's what most of the stupid press releases have been. Hearsay with little facts. Oh but if it's true. It at least upped the odds for the Titans. Time will tell. I honestly figured he would've picked by now, but that's foolish when you think about it. Most people don't accept a job offer on a whim. It's thought out. Besides, there is so much negotiations to be made too with a possible or pending contract. I'll still like him wherever he goes. He's a good guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee