Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2007, 11:53 AM

3 posts, read 7,284 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to Eastern TN. I live in Phoenix right now. I am scared to death, but also excited. Could any of you tell me like a couple of your favorite things about TN so I could get more of a "feel" for it.... I would like to learn a little more beyond statistics.

What is the best thing about your neighborhood?
Do you like your kids' school?
Do you feel like you live amongst a diverse population?
Do you feel like you have the opportunity to do different things if you so choose?
Do you feel safe?
Is ther a big drug problem?
Are holidays a big deal (Labor Day, 4th of July, Halloween)?
Is there natural bodies of water there? (dont laugh i live on the desert right now)
How long would it take you to get to the Ocean? Can you drive over to like VA beach?

Thank you to anyone who answers; I really appreciate any advice anyone can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 08:16 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,645 times
Although I now own property in Tennessee, I an not a resident yet, but my research and visits to Tennessee have provided me with some information related to your questions. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLOESCLONE View Post
I may be moving to Eastern TN. I live in Phoenix right now. I am scared to death, but also excited. Could any of you tell me like a couple of your favorite things about TN so I could get more of a "feel" for it.... I would like to learn a little more beyond statistics.

I purchased a lot in Cumberland Cove, near Monterey, TN (between Cookeville and Crossville) on which I will later build my retirement home. The things I like about my future neighborhood are the beauty of the area, the friendliness of the people, the low cost of living, and the slower paced lifestyle.

My kids are grown and out of school. They will not be moving to Tennessee.

My research has shown that the only parts of Tennessee that have somewhat of a diverse population are in the large cities. Smaller cities and rural areas are usually more than 90% caucasion. I saw few people of other races during my visits.

Do you feel like you have the opportunity to do different things if you so choose?

Tennessee offers many recreational opportunities, such as boating, fishing, hiking, camping, water skiing, hunting, etc. There are numerous state parks and places of historical interest all over the state. There are always events of every kind going on all over the state. Anyone should be able to find plenty of things to do in Tennessee.

Do you feel safe?

I felt very safe every place I visited.

I've read, mostly on this forum, that there is a drug problem in many rural areas, but you will find that in every state throughout the nation.

Although I have not visited the state during a major holiday, I've read about activities held throughout the state during major holidays. Cumberland Cove, where I just purchased a lot, always has a Labor Day picnic.

Is there natural bodies of water there? (dont laugh i live on the desert right now)

With all of the lakes in Tennessee, I would assume that many of them are natural bodies of water. Perhaps a Tennessee resident could better answer this question.

How long would it take you to get to the Ocean? Can you drive over to like VA beach?

According to Mapquest.com, driving from Cookeville, TN to Virginia Beach, VA would take 10 hours and 12 minutes.

Thank you to anyone who answers; I really appreciate any advice anyone can give.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:20 AM
pdq

170 posts, read 527,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLOESCLONE View Post

Do you feel safe?

Hi CHLOESCLONE,

I'm a native TN but I've lived in many places including out west, great lakes, ne, and se. I'll be relating your questions to the Knoxville and east TN area. First off coming from Phoenix be prepared for some crazy humidity, unbearable at times for a dry desert person.

As for the neighborhoods, there are always good and bad, if you love HOA there are some but they can become overzealous.

The schools are going to range from the worst schools in the nation to a few pretty good schools in nearby Oak Ridge. The best school in Knoxville, Farragut, is only ranked around 1200th in the nation. Nashville has a few schools ranked very highly.

The population is not very diverse anywhere in east TN but within the city of Knoxville it's more diverse much because of the university.

There's some, not a lot of opportunity to do things you love. That question is obviously tough to answer. What do you love? You mentioned the ocean, if you love the ocean (9-10+ hours from here) then you might want to move to GA, NC, SC, VA. Similar costs of living/jobs can be had and a very short or even no drive to the beach.

Do I feel safe? In east TN there is a lot of potential crime waiting in the hills and mountains. East TN is like taking the crime of Maryvale and spreading it out and hiding it amongst the mountains of east TN. TN has ranked in the top 5 worst states for meth for as long as I can remember and is the #1 worst state for prescription drug abuse. Yes crime is a huge problem.

Sorry I didn't sugar coat it for you. There will be plenty of others posting on here to do that. All this said, TN is a very different place than AZ. Culture shock may be the least worrisome of the difference. Good luck to you.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:06 PM

3 posts, read 7,284 times
Thank you so much.
It is a big step to relocate and this really helps.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:31 AM

57 posts, read 330,976 times
I don't live in TN any more but hope to again soon.
I first moved to Crossville in the earlly 90's after a vacation I took trying to locate some of my father's family. (He is a native) I settled in Crossville and absolutely loved it. There was no place on earth to compare to it (for me). I knew that I didn't want to ever live in a large town or city again so it was perfect.
The people were so friendly, it was like I was a long lost cousin coming home and it felt good to be around people like that.
Long story short, I had to return to FL for a while. I went back last year, rented a place and stayed for the birth of my grandson. The town has changed, drugs seemed to have a hold on so many of the young people my daughters went to school with up there. These are young adults with children...not teenagers any more. It seemed like there was a meth lab on every block. I know there wasn't but it was just so surprising to me. The quaint little town that I felt so at home in a decade and a half ago was gone. I hope they are getting a handle on it because I do intend to go back for good. Although, I think I may go out into Fentress or Morgan county this time.
If you need more in the way of entertainment, I'd move to Knoxville. They are more progressive over there but still have that wonderful Tn way about them. If you have a flat on the side of the road...not many people will pass you by. It's a refreshing change from FL
It will certainly take a bit of adjusting (coming from out west) but I can't think of a better place to live than the state of TN.
Good luck on your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee