Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 08:25 PM

701 posts, read 2,030,235 times

Advertisements

I've got the opportunity to go to either one of these universities (I'm 25 and have been in community college for about a year now). Chattanooga would be closer to family, but based solely on the universities and their reputation which would you recommend for a criminal justice degree?

Chattanooga is much closer to my family (parents/siblings/niece) and I have a good housing arrangement lined up if I decide on UTC, but MTSU appeals to me more. I guess the bigger size mostly. Also, being close to Nashville would be cool. I'd just need to find shared housing or something that won't run me more than about 400-450/mo.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:27 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
I have taken lots of classes at MTSU over the years. They were in liberal arts, not criminal justice, but they were very good. If you've been in community college already, I would recommend MTSU. Plus there are a LOT of housing options there.

I have not personally attended UTC, but the daughters of two friends started going there two years ago and both wanted to transfer after the first semester because they said it was "just like high school." Their complaint was that the Greek life is VERY prevalent there, and the focus on social life was too intense for them.

That's just anecdotal evidence, of course, but it might be relevant to you.

One tranferred to MTSU. The other went to UTK.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:24 AM

Thank you. When you say plenty of housing options at MTSU, do you mean on campus, off campus, or both? Would Craigslist probably be my best bet in finding something?

Old 02-22-2012, 07:40 AM

There is on-campus housing, but there are a TON of apartments in the area. Some are even located on a shuttle line so you can ride a bus to campus. I think it's called the Raider Express. (No time to Google right now.) If the shuttle is something you'd be interested in, I would contact the MTSU transportation office and try to get a map of the route, then see what complexes participate.

You can find apartments through the usual sites like For Rent . com, Padmapper, etc. and yes, Craigslist.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:47 PM

249 posts, read 659,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I have taken lots of classes at MTSU over the years. They were in liberal arts, not criminal justice, but they were very good. If you've been in community college already, I would recommend MTSU. Plus there are a LOT of housing options there.

I have not personally attended UTC, but the daughters of two friends started going there two years ago and both wanted to transfer after the first semester because they said it was "just like high school." Their complaint was that the Greek life is VERY prevalent there, and the focus on social life was too intense for them.

That's just anecdotal evidence, of course, but it might be relevant to you.

One tranferred to MTSU. The other went to UTK.
I went to UTC and there was absolutely nothing to do with the "Greek Life." I always felt like fraternities/sororities were a mere afterthought.

That said, all universities are going to be "high school like" when you are in freshman level classes. Sounds to me like they were making excuses to leave, because if anything, UTC *lacks* any kind of social life, since a large population of the students are commuting students.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:54 PM

50 posts, read 115,204 times
I went to UTC and loved it there. I was in a sorority and disagree about how prevalent Greek life is on campus. Go Mocs!!

Old 02-22-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithps View Post
Sounds to me like they were making excuses to leave, because if anything, UTC *lacks* any kind of social life, since a large population of the students are commuting students.
Maybe, because I'd hate to think they went from being honor students to randomly lying to family friends.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:47 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
Most of my kids friends that went to UTC hated it. One of my sons went to MTSU and liked it ok but moved to Knoxville and loved it there more. So it is hard to say what will suit you best. Have you visited the campuses?

Old 02-25-2012, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Most of my kids friends that went to UTC hated it. One of my sons went to MTSU and liked it ok but moved to Knoxville and loved it there more. So it is hard to say what will suit you best. Have you visited the campuses?
I live close to UTC (but have only driven around the outskirts, have never walked on campus). I did visit MTSU and liked the vibe over all. I'm pretty set on MTSU at this point, I just need to find affordable housing...

Old 02-29-2012, 09:56 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,469,257 times
I'd echo Beretta's thought on visiting the campuses. I visited UTC back in the mid-90s (dating myself a bit here) and that was my determining factor not to go there. It just didn't "feel right". Hard to quantify, exactly. I attended MTSU for master's work and had a great experience there, but I can also see where you could find issues with that university too (size being one). I also know 2 individuals who have gone to UTC and had a great experience there, so take that into consideration...it takes diff'rent strokes to move the world, right?

As Wmsn pointed out, you should be able to find affordable housing all around campus. I will say that I've heard students complain about problems at Nottingham Apartments that are very close to campus...issues with break ins and all around shadiness. So it would be a good idea to post in the Nashville forum if you decide to go to MTSU and see if anyone there has more experience with specific apartment complexes or if they can give you recommendations.

Best of luck in your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee