Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 02:19 PM

12 posts, read 82,474 times

Advertisements

A very general question, one that might defy an easy answer: Can anyone who has built a home recently or is looking to build soon give me some idea of building costs in east Tennessee? I'd be interested in ballpark figures for the corridor that begins north of Chattanooga and runs northeast to the Tri-Cities; at this point, we'd consider all areas. It wouldn't need to be near the bigger cities, but close enough to a good-sized town that there would be access to shopping, health care, etc. -- and, of course, nice mountain views. We're not sure at this point if we want to do a log or "stick-built" home at this point, which could have an impact on costs.

We've mainly been looking at western North Carolina. The land isn't unaffordable, but we've asked around and have been dismayed by the building costs. Seems the influx of wealth into some of the attractive towns in the area has not been good for middle-of-the road consumers like us whose future retirements will be comfortable but not high-end. We've been quoted figures of $175-$200 per square foot for log and stick-built homes, and that's not including costs for clearing the land, digging a well, putting in septic and installing a driveway. We'd like to build a modest 1,200-to-1,500-square-foot home in retirement and $250,000 seems like too much to pay for something like that. Can we do better in east Tennessee?

Or, would it be better to follow "Plan B" and look at existing homes on 1-2 acres?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2006, 04:06 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,067,837 times
I went with plan "B" It's cheaper, and you can see what you are getting.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:51 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,314,459 times
Your best bet, I would think, is to look up some builder in the East TN area on line and see what they have to say.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 19,076 times
I am a contractor in the East TN area and I am finishing a house now that is ~1700 SF with a full basement that will have an additional 600 SF finished in the basement for a home theater. I tell you this not to try and sell the house because it is my personal house and is not currently for sale, but instead to tell you that this house was built for around $120 a sqft with nearly two acres of land included in a nice neighborhood. So depending on where you choose to build, I believe that yes you can build a custom home for well under $200 SF in East TN. If I can be of more assistance just ask.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:31 AM

265 posts, read 904,490 times
Jholt,

Coming from So. FL, our building costs have gone sky high due to demand and increased hurricane building codes. Do you know if the building codes differ much from FL? And, we have to get a permit just to think about building a dog house down here, how about permits and fees?

Old 09-21-2006, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 19,071 times
We are building a 1500 Sq. Ft. home in the southern middle Tn. area and the approx. cost per square foot is $90 with 1/3 acre of land. Permits for out buildings will be different in different counties or towns.

Old 09-22-2006, 06:15 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,874,120 times
Default DAYTON $ 135 k

We just moved into new construction TWO months ago ,custom ranch, brick $ 135 K, one acre, hill top views, West side of river, rt # 27 area Soddy Daisy, Dayton, Sale creek area, CRYE- LEIKE is popular realtor in Hamilton co. However only 2 miles south on river is $ 2 million re-sale. so view and elevation is the trade-off !!!

Old 09-25-2006, 12:33 AM

8 posts, read 43,419 times
I just moved here to E TN from S.Fla, we had a 2400sq ft house w/ 1200 basement built 'dryed in" for about $60.00 per ft. Thats just the house mind you and I needed to finish the interior, baths, kitchen, fixtures ect.
Permits you ask? compaired to S. Fla. ROFLMFAO, lets put it this way I sit on my wrap around porch with a 12Ga shotgun and shoot anywher I wish. The main building dept. consisted of one girl behind the counter, a file cabinet with handwritten records of my septic system cert, my description of my house and my electrical permit for fire purposes. Fire is a big deal around here because if you have a fire your on your own for the 1st hr of burn time, so you may want to think about fire extin in easch room and in the barns.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:14 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,006,775 times
I'm also curious on the same area and what the costs to build are, I've seen some replies that spoke of land, etc.

Cost to build, If I'm not mistaken, excludes the cost of the land, normally it includes septic, well and lot clearing because you can't build without those. The cost of the lot is too variable, depending on the size, location, etc.

I own land in WNC but have also been told $125 to $200 to build the home, here in WA state you can get builders for around $75 on up to $200 per square foot built.

I've seen some new construction homes in a development for pretty cheap, but I want my own land.

Take care, hope to be moving there soon from WA state, retiring military.

Tony

Old 09-25-2006, 02:17 PM

130 posts, read 475,139 times
Default Hawks Bluff Log Home

We are building a true log home for about 120-125 per sf. we are building in Spencer TN in Hawks Bluff. it is a lovely area, 8 miles to Fall Creek Falls State Park. great Park, lots of beautiful waterfalls, great golf, and camping, really big lake for fishing. lots of action being created up there! our house will be done next summer, and our log home company and builder is wonderful!
if any one would like more info on Hawks Bluff or a great Log home company let me know.
Mary

Last edited by maryn; 09-25-2006 at 02:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee