Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 09:52 AM

20 posts, read 151,996 times

Advertisements

Hi Y'all. (did I spell that right?) We are empty nesters that are planning a trip down to Eastern TN, specifically to look for a nice small town to retire in. Obviously schools and jobs won't be a concern. We are looking for a small, friendly town that has some cultural activities, nice downtown for shopping and eating, and general just walking around yet not too far from major hospital. We've had it with shopping malls! A few golf courses would help too.
We were thinking of driving down to the Johnson City are and driving around for a few days. Would love some suggestions from you folks on what towns we should check out. So far on our list are Jonesborough and Greeneville. Any others? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2006, 10:32 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,317,005 times
I think you are on the right track with Jonesborough and Greeneville PaJohn!
Rogersville might be another you could look at too. Kingsport and Johnson City has the best hospitals in the area. There are some areas of Kingsport that might interest you also, like Mount Carmel and Church Hill. If you would like some contact info for some Realtors to talk to while you are here, I know some good, non pushy ones that I can you in contact with. Just email me. And most of all ENJOY YOUR TRIP!

Old 08-27-2006, 12:58 PM

44 posts, read 275,285 times
Default TN mts.

I'm trying to get out of FL, also an empty nester. I have visited Cocke county, towns of Cosby, and Newport several times. Not much in Cosby but holler and mts. But, 10 min. to Newport.......WalMart, hospitals, restaurants, I understand there is a mall in Morristown abt. 45 min. Gatlinburg is less than 1/2 hr. other direction. It's slow pace, beautiful, people are friendly.

Old 09-03-2006, 03:29 PM

359 posts, read 1,635,877 times
There's an excellent golf community somewhere near Crossville. You can find it by doing a google search.

I think Johnson City is a great place to start your search. Lots of university activities, a great senior citizen center, near the mountains and the Appalachian Trail for hiking, close to N. Carolina and all the neat stuff there.

A wonderful hospital too (two actually).

Old 02-27-2007, 08:51 AM

5 posts, read 62,010 times
Default Getting out of Florida

Hi, we are retired and thinking about moving to TN....small town, the kind that is big on holidays like the 4th of July, Christmas....festivals and a good community atmosphere.
Was just wondering though if the counties in TN are all dry....no liquor, not that we are big drinkers but do like to have a drink at home or when we go out.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:48 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtncgram View Post
Hi, we are retired and thinking about moving to TN....small town, the kind that is big on holidays like the 4th of July, Christmas....festivals and a good community atmosphere.
Was just wondering though if the counties in TN are all dry....no liquor, not that we are big drinkers but do like to have a drink at home or when we go out.
Not this again! The topic of dry counties vs. wet counties has been discussed ad nauseum in this forum. And in many cases, a county might be dry, but a city within that county might be wet.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:06 AM

243 posts, read 887,260 times
Talking Hillbillys

Hummm.....Hillbillys....Please explain.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:06 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,653,981 times
Dang I gotta get out more... I had no idea that only eastern TN had hillbillys! I thought they were everywhere. So much for thinking! Well, we ARE just a bunch of ignorant rednecks so what do you expect? ROFL Funny

Old 02-27-2007, 05:55 PM

23 posts, read 138,770 times
Talking Golf & Hillbillys

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyLois View Post
There's an excellent golf community somewhere near Crossville. You can find it by doing a google search.

I think Johnson City is a great place to start your search. Lots of university activities, a great senior citizen center, near the mountains and the Appalachian Trail for hiking, close to N. Carolina and all the neat stuff there.

A wonderful hospital too (two actually).

Greetings!
There ain't not golf course here. We do wack a few off the top of the mountain and see how far they go. Hey! the hillbillys are my realatives and best of friends, so why do you move to TN. if you don't like em'?
Bubba

Old 02-27-2007, 06:41 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Hi, we spend our summers in Mountain City, Tn. The rest of the time we spend in our RV.

Mountain City has a population of @2500 people, elevation of @2500ft(which is cooler in the summer than most other towns in TN), a few major grocery stores, some fast food chains, only a couple of restaurants(really), a couple of home decor stores(mountain and bear themed), and a golf course just on
the outskirts of town.

It is a small town that has street festivals and fairs in the summer. If you
want to go for a little more culture-restaurants, galleries,plays, and more stores, Boone, NC is only 25 minutes away and there is always something
going on there. There is a major university in Boone also.

Try the local papers-The Tomahawk(Mountain City), The Mountain Times and
Watauga Democrat(Boone, NC).

My DH and I really like being in Mtn. City- the people are really nice and it is a very relaxing place with very low crime.

Good luck in your search.

Lisa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee