Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 05:25 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,099,312 times

Advertisements

Oh i don't want to give my little secret place away but since i'm such a nice person and i've already got my piece secured, I sent you a PM. Don't know about any builders yet as we're not in the building stages quite yet. We're just in the clearing and driveway stages right now but we can recommend someone to do that when your ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 09:10 PM

11 posts, read 36,618 times
Default Soon to be resident of Newport

I have property in Newport that my husband and I bought last year in the Edwina area - beautiful rolling pasture land, mountain view, and city water! We looked around alot before we purchased this property and we heard all the horror stories of Newport, but we have not met ANYONE that was not nice, and very helpful to us.

My husband and I are retired Law Enforcement from Florida and hoping to be up there permanently in a few months. I can tell you that finding a builder was VERY difficult for us. We were used to FL having models to look at and floor plans to choose from - Newport doesn't have anything like that. Do your homework with the builders and get several bids, because they will vary drastically. We actually ended up buying a modular home (not a mobile home), it was over $100K less than a "stick built" on site home.

If you would like some more information, feel free to email me.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:06 AM

We looked at the Modular Log Home they have set up in Newport and it was pretty nice but we're not allowed to have Modular homes in our area. Has to be block, stick or log built only so we've decided to go stick built with log siding.

I agree. Everyone we met so far in Newport have been very friendly to us as well. We had a bad experience with price gouging because we were from another state though but that was only once. We too took well over a year and 4 trips of driving all over the place to find what we were looking for. There's a lot of land for sale but there's really not much to pick and choose from if you looking for good land that is usable that is not steep or sloping.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:11 AM

11 posts, read 36,618 times
You might want to double check your area on the modular homes. Our association also said NO Modular homes, but they meant anything coming in on wheels. Our builder is a resident there and knows EVERYONE, and called the people we bought our land from and they had no problem with it.

The associations (what little they are) just don't want mobile homes, and they associate the mobile with a modular.

Just a thought.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:29 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chihuahuas View Post
We are looking to buy land with the expectation of building a retirement home within the next three to five years and are thinking of taking a look at a development called Rivercrest, near Newport. The brochure and Web site look great (of course, they almost always do) and the prices seem reasonable if you don't buy a riverfront lot, which we're not interested in anyway. Any opinions or impressions of this area? It hasn't been discussed much on these boards for some reason. We've looked in the mountain areas of North Carolina (Brevard, Hendersonville and Waynesville are charming but on the pricey side for land and construction costs) and the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee (a bit too hot in the summer, at least this year). The development is offering a fly-up-free-for-the-weekend deal, but we don't want to go if the area is not nice and/or the development is overhyped. Thanks for your responses!
Forget about the property, for a minute. Why do you want to live there? You know, what do you plan to do there?

Old 08-04-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CazTwo View Post
You might want to double check your area on the modular homes. Our association also said NO Modular homes, but they meant anything coming in on wheels. Our builder is a resident there and knows EVERYONE, and called the people we bought our land from and they had no problem with it.

The associations (what little they are) just don't want mobile homes, and they associate the mobile with a modular.

Just a thought.

Hmmm. looking back on my paperwork it says no mobile homes, doublewides, modular homes, trailers, shacks or tents. I think that pretty much covers everything other than a home built from scratch. I think we'll stick with building from scratch. So far there are only 4 homes built in the area and many lots still empty but owned.

I'll tell you a news story i just heard recently. A man put a modular home on his property, beautiful home, well over $200,000 spent on home and landscaping and after over a year of living in it, his neighbors found out it was a modular and are petitioning for him to get it taken out because he supposedly violated the no modular home rule. Gosh, i don't even want to risk taking a chance like by getting a modular home on our lot. I think Modulars are just as nice and i wouldn't mind going that route but too much of a risk. I mean when we bought the land, we knew were not able to have a modular and that was fine otherwise we would not have bought it.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,624 times
me and my wife really want to move to seymour tenn or somewhere in that area i was trying to get a lead on wheather a man could make a good living as a handyman . i have been a carpenter for 30 years and would like to do it there. if anyone can give advice it would shurly help thanks gobber 1

Old 06-02-2008, 11:49 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,869,253 times
I drive through Newport every time we go down to Dollywood or Gatlinburg. It is a very pretty area.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:14 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Holy cow williboy, what do you do, drive down the Newport Highway (in Greeneville) through Parrotsville? That's a long route for a Telfordian!

Old 06-03-2008, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Holy cow williboy, what do you do, drive down the Newport Highway (in Greeneville) through Parrotsville? That's a long route for a Telfordian!
I was just up in Newport Memorial Day weekend working on my property and we discoverd a construction project going on. I got home and did some research online for construction in TN and discovered they are in the process of building a 4 lane highway from 321 at Good Hope road all the way to the Greene County line connecting back to 321? It basically takes all the curves our going through Parrottsville and the other residental homes. It's to be completed in 2009 and will make a quick commute heading northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee