Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 03:54 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,231,916 times

Advertisements

Is anyone still using the Madalyn Hunter lesson plan model? My old district had an elementary school format based on the Hunter model that they adapted (badly) and imposed on everyone. Then they imposed an electronic format on us that was impossible to adapt. I would have to create one set of plans for the administration and another for what I was actually trying to do in class. I suspect I was not the only one.

When I would submit my plans for the class period to be observed, most often the administrator would not show up or be extremely late. Then they would observe at a time for which I had not submitted the same lesson plan. Then the evaluation would be based on them not having seen what they were told they would see. It kind of reminded me of the old joke about looking for the lost money/keys/contact lens under the street light rather than where it was actually dropped because it was easier to see under the streetlight. Duh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2023, 04:06 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Is anyone still using the Madalyn Hunter lesson plan model? My old district had an elementary school format based on the Hunter model that they adapted (badly) and imposed on everyone. Then they imposed an electronic format on us that was impossible to adapt. I would have to create one set of plans for the administration and another for what I was actually trying to do in class. I suspect I was not the only one.

When I would submit my plans for the class period to be observed, most often the administrator would not show up or be extremely late. Then they would observe at a time for which I had not submitted the same lesson plan. Then the evaluation would be based on them not having seen what they were told they would see. It kind of reminded me of the old joke about looking for the lost money/keys/contact lens under the street light rather than where it was actually dropped because it was easier to see under the streetlight. Duh!
The record for Admin no shows for one teacher was nine. It was really stupid, too. The observation would be scheduled for 1st or 2nd period and the Admins, none of them, showed up before 11 or so when Lunch started.

They'd even schedule parents to come in at 7 and the Senior Teacher in the Building (guess who that was) would have to gently break it to a parent who was missing work that whoever they were meeting with wouldn't be showing up for awhile.

Then they started doing drive by observations when they'd come into the room like a bull in a china shop and totally disrupt everything, talking to kids, asking the teacher what was going on, etc. If they'd sit down for a bit they would invariably be on their phones.

Old 09-01-2023, 05:33 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times
When I was teaching (back when the Rosetta stone was being chiseled), I always hated preparing lesson plans and being expected to adhere to them. [Probably one of the reasons I left teaching.]

I felt that my best lessons evolved during the class period as I could see how the students were reacting to what I was teaching.

Some ideas just took hold immediately and others required several approaches during the class period. I could be using the same lesson plan from previous years, but each class was different.

Old 09-02-2023, 09:21 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
When I was teaching (back when the Rosetta stone was being chiseled), I always hated preparing lesson plans and being expected to adhere to them. [Probably one of the reasons I left teaching.]

I felt that my best lessons evolved during the class period as I could see how the students were reacting to what I was teaching.

Some ideas just took hold immediately and others required several approaches during the class period. I could be using the same lesson plan from previous years, but each class was different.
A lessson plan doesn't have to be ultra-specific and rigid. But teachers ought to have a roadmap, and not just wing it.

Old 09-02-2023, 10:07 AM

307 posts, read 164,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
A lessson plan doesn't have to be ultra-specific and rigid. But teachers ought to have a roadmap, and not just wing it.
Absolutely! There is mental and physical prep involved in palnning instruction. Yes, you will have questions or may have too adapt a bit durig the lesson but being unprepared leads to very little learning.

Old 09-02-2023, 10:43 AM

Quote:

That's so 2010. Now, if you have a pacing guide you best be doing whatever it says you do on whatever day. No time for extension, no time to answer related questions, no time to go back and remediate kids who didn't get it the first time. And you'd better be doing the exercises that guide tells you to. You weren't hired to be creative.

Old 09-02-2023, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterTrees View Post
Absolutely! There is mental and physical prep involved in palnning instruction. Yes, you will have questions or may have too adapt a bit durig the lesson but being unprepared leads to very little learning.
I used to have a big notebook for each unit. It had the labs I usually did and other instructional stuff. At the end of each unit each year I'd review how things went. Toss some things, seek out others. Kept notes about adjustments that needed to be made. I didn't have to re-create the wheel each year, but it was always evolving.

Old 09-02-2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's so 2010. Now, if you have a pacing guide you best be doing whatever it says you do on whatever day. No time for extension, no time to answer related questions, no time to go back and remediate kids who didn't get it the first time. And you'd better be doing the exercises that guide tells you to. You weren't hired to be creative.
But I presume you aren't advocating that.

Old 09-02-2023, 12:48 PM

Quote:
But I presume you aren't advocating that.
Not at all but that's today's reality in many school systems.

Having said that, there is some benefit if US History teachers can get past the Civil War.

Old 09-02-2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Not at all but that's today's reality in many school systems.

Having said that, there is some benefit if US History teachers can get past the Civil War.
LOL. Yes...even back in high school (which for me was the 1960s), we never even learned about WWII, let alone the Korean War.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching