Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 03:29 PM

667 posts, read 1,847,841 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a university professor, but I will be teaching a STEM summer camp for grades 9-12. The idea is to teach physics and chemistry through activities and discussion and games (like Jeopardy or Family Feud.)

I will not give out grades, but I want to have prizes for the winning teams. I have a $1000 budget from which I also need to buy materials for experiments and the like.

I thought I would put prizes in a grab bag and the winners could choose the prize they want

Does anyone have ideas? These will be urban students, so pretty sophisticated and up with new trends (Which I am decidedly not)

I don't think food is a good idea.

So, I was thinking water bottles, mugs, T-shirts. But--pretty lame.

Can you give me ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 03:48 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen59 View Post
Hello, I am a university professor, but I will be teaching a STEM summer camp for grades 9-12. The idea is to teach physics and chemistry through activities and discussion and games (like Jeopardy or Family Feud.)

I will not give out grades, but I want to have prizes for the winning teams. I have a $1000 budget from which I also need to buy materials for experiments and the like.

I thought I would put prizes in a grab bag and the winners could choose the prize they want

Does anyone have ideas? These will be urban students, so pretty sophisticated and up with new trends (Which I am decidedly not)

Can you give me ideas?
Go to Five Below and buy electronics for the boys and nail polish/make up for the girls. Gift cards for area food places like Dairy Queen, McD's, Dominoes Pizza, etc. Gift cards for 7-11, Amazon, ITune (or other tech things they like), Dollar Tree, etc. Every year I used to give a Halloween Party (mostly for adults) and played games. I bought Halloween themed decorative items and lottery tickets for prizes, it went over very well, everyone loved it!

Last edited by wp169; 06-16-2023 at 04:06 PM..

Old 06-16-2023, 03:49 PM

5,654 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen59 View Post

Can you give me ideas?
How about gift cards for Amazon or Gamestop, or a movie theater?

Old 06-17-2023, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Go to Five Below and buy electronics for the boys and nail polish/make up for the girls. Gift cards for area food places like Dairy Queen, McD's, Dominoes Pizza, etc. Gift cards for 7-11, Amazon, ITune (or other tech things they like), Dollar Tree, etc. Every year I used to give a Halloween Party (mostly for adults) and played games. I bought Halloween themed decorative items and lottery tickets for prizes, it went over very well, everyone loved it!
Five below! Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 06-17-2023, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
How about gift cards for Amazon or Gamestop, or a movie theater?
I think that's a good idea

Old 06-17-2023, 01:53 PM

I found on line something called element density cubes. They are elements from the periodic table in a perfect small cube, and the front has the atomic number , symbol and the density.

Each cube is 99.99% pure of the element. For example, the copper is orange, and the zinc silvery. I would love these cubes. Do you think teenagers would?

https://www.amazon.com/Element-Densi...1zcF9tdGY&th=1

Old 06-17-2023, 06:14 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,600,762 times
Scientific calculators, notebooks, writing utensils, and gift cards for local office-school supply stores.

Old 06-17-2023, 06:52 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Lots of great ideas, wp169 -- except your first! If I got nail polish instead of electronics just because I was a girl, I'd be REALLY pissed off!

OP, sounds like a fun camp -- I hope you and the students really enjoy it!

Old 06-17-2023, 08:36 PM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Wow. What a budget. Everyone should get a tee shirt or water bottle from your university. Other than that, food gift cards, and gaming gift cards seem to go over well with high schoolers. When mine were junior/senior local coffee shop gift cards seemed to be preferred.

Funnily one of the big trends around here was for the kids to go to Waffle House or the coffee shop for breakfast before school or late night study breakfast after a ball game.

Old 06-18-2023, 01:53 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
How many students are you buying for? How much can you spend per student after taking out for your materials cost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching