Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 03:31 PM

38 posts, read 211,010 times

Advertisements

Recently moved here to Florida and I am trying see what others opinions are of all the parks. Have you been to Busch Gardens ? Is it worth going to once ? How about twice? Also what is your opinion on Seaworld ? I think I would like seaworld only once though. I went to that years ago. Also would you rather go to Islands of Adventures in Universal or Busch Gardens Tampa or Seaworld ? I appreciate your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 04:24 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,654,792 times
Busch Gardens is reasonably priced (compared to the other parks). I would definately splurge on the Annual Pass rather than the FunCard. IF you plan on going often, the Annual Pass gets you free parking, 10% discount on food, merchanise purchases as well as other benefits like reserved seating for the animal shows. If it is just a once in a while, just get the FunCard. I would also wait until January 1st to buy, because then you have the full year to go. The park itself is nice. They have something for everyone like a kiddie section, rollercoasters, theatre shows and animal shows. I do find the park a little confusing to get around. We had a FunCard when we first moved down here. We used it often, but then the following year, when we purchased a new FunCard, we never went. Several years later, my daughter was old enough to meet friends there and spend the day without mom tagging along. She enjoyed that one year, but never wanted to go the following year. With the Annual Pass, we set up an EZ pay account.

The water park, is okay. It can be really crowded and unruly on weekends. I would go first thing in the morning and leave when it starts to really get crowded around 1:00. First time I went with my family was the first hot Saturday of the season. We arrived around 2:30 and they had just opened up the park for more visitors because they had too many people. Once we got in, many rides were closed because people were just unruly. The police were there to try and resolve some order in the chaos.

My kids enjoyed Seaworld when they were young (before moving to Florida). I haven't taken them since we moved down here 6 1/2 years ago. My memory of that park is a little fuzzy. I do remember a few rides, but mostly shows, and exhibits. It refreshing to not have to spend hours on a long line for a 5 minute ride.

How old are your kids and are you closer to Busch Gardens or Orlando? My neighbor has season pass to Disney and takes her kids on weekend trips to spend as a family in Orlando.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:44 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Having held a Seaworld annual pass for years, I would say go to Busch Gardens.

Seaworld used to be a very educational nature based experience. It has now turned into a typical
theme park starring the animals. We surrendered our passes the week after the first roller coaster
opened there.

Busch Gardens has different venues inside it venues and that makes it, in my opinion, more enjoyable for both adults and children.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:09 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,802 times
Quote:
Have you been to Busch Gardens ? Is it worth going to once ? How about twice?
I have been to Busch Gardens literally too many times to count. I think it is easily one the best theme parks in Florida. They usually offer a great deal for Florida residents called Fun Pass - you pay for one day's admission and you can come back for the rest of the year for free. (You still have to pay for parking each visit unless you go for one of the annual passes with more perks.) By the way, if I recall correctly, Sea World offers the same deal. You can even get combo passes that combine Busch Gardens and Sea World access.

Busch Gardens is awesome because from young kids to old couples and everyone in between - there is something there for everyone. They have an amazing collection of rollercoasters. There are some less intense rides as well. If you don't like rides, Busch Gardens doubles as a world-class zoo, and they don't call it Gardens for nothing - the trees and plants are quite lovely. Unless you are a vegetarian, have lunch at the Stanleyville Smokehouse (oops, they renamed it - it's now the Zambia Smokehouse), you can thank me later! Your nose will lead you right there when you get close to Sheikra. If you ARE a vegetarian, I suggest you leave the park and have lunch at one of the local Indian, Thai, or Vietnamese resaurants within an easy drive.
Quote:
Also what is your opinion on Seaworld ?
As for Seaworld... sadly I think it has changed for the worst. When I was a child, Sea World was very educational. Now it seems like it's focused on entertainment. Somehow a Shamu show narrated by a trainer than tells me all about killer whales seems much less exploitative than a similar show where Shamu performs to a pulsating sound track as a movie plays which seems designed to sell stupid whale-tail necklaces to all the kids in the audience. I hear that the new show got a lot of complaints, and then when the whale killed that trainer I think they revamped the show. I hope they go back to their educational roots. I do still think that Sea World is worth going to, at least once, especially if you have kids. The penguin exhibit alone is worth the trip.

Quote:
Also would you rather go to Islands of Adventures in Universal or Busch Gardens Tampa or Seaworld ?
Islands of Adventure would be high on my list since it is one of the few FL themeparks that I have never been to, and my friends who have gone have said it's pretty decent. I'd like to see the Harry Potter area and have some of that butterbeer I keep hearing about! I've also heard good things about the Spider Man ride, but I personally hate simulator rides, they make me nauseous. But when it comes down to it, if I had to choose only one from your list, it would be Busch Gardens.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:43 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,010 times
I'm really sad to hear this about Seaworld. Went multiple times when my son was small and loved it. I love animals, and loved some of the displays. Very sorry to hear they have gone the way of amusement parks.

I will be an hour from Busch Gardens this winter. I'm hoping to give it a try at some point.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:41 AM

38 posts, read 211,010 times
Hello, Thanks for answering.I am closer to tamp 30-40 mins. I really don't know if I would want to go more than once to either busch gardens or seaworld. Maybe twice. The water park I know the kids would love but if it's super crowded.Ugh! We would go on the weekeds. Kids are 10 and 15. Thanks !

Old 11-07-2011, 09:10 AM

737 posts, read 2,587,460 times
Default water parks in general..

yuck. Have been to two in FL - names withheld - saw "floaters" in the water where the children play. It was pretty nasty think about poo all day. Haven't been for at least 12 years. Kids are too old for that stuff now, thankfully.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:20 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times
As a pass holder to both. Busch Gardens, no doubt about it.

Some people say Busch Gardens is crowded. I have been to Busch Gardens at least 8 times in the last 14 months. It has been crowded with long lines, perhaps 3 of those visits. Nothing compared to the crowds at Disney.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:57 AM

2 posts, read 10,852 times
Disney is not worth the hassle. I have an annual pass at Universal, but I live in Orlando. Busch would be my place if I lived closer.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:20 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkonkol View Post
Disney is not worth the hassle. I have an annual pass at Universal, but I live in Orlando. Busch would be my place if I lived closer.
You did notice that you're posting to a thread that's five year old?

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay