Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 12:38 PM

158 posts, read 284,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
The hyde park lifestyles is the same way. You wont see women with make up on in the morning or the weekend. Only on weeknights after work. You can tell who is there to socialize and who is there to work out... just put your headphones in and be one of the "anti-socials" at the gym! Thats what I do.

you'll have to come down and tour some gyms. there is a fair amount in the area and different ones offer different amenities.

That is what I am at my gym, one of the "anti-socials" Earbuds dont come out until I am leaving the place. People probably have a bad idea of who I am but I could careless. I go elsewhere to socialize. The gym is for getting buff *lol* I do have a pretty big list of what I would like in a gym but it sounds like I will have to cut a few. I will do some major searching once I am there. I go to a gym called Lifetime Fitness in Kansas and I LOVE IT! I have to really love my gym with spending 6 days a week there. The good thing about being in Fl is I will be able to take more runs out doors without snow on the ground, wooo hoo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 12:45 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,313,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniegurl View Post
That is what I am at my gym, one of the "anti-socials" Earbuds dont come out until I am leaving the place. People probably have a bad idea of who I am but I could careless. I go elsewhere to socialize. The gym is for getting buff *lol* I do have a pretty big list of what I would like in a gym but it sounds like I will have to cut a few. I will do some major searching once I am there. I go to a gym called Lifetime Fitness in Kansas and I LOVE IT! I have to really love my gym with spending 6 days a week there. The good thing about being in Fl is I will be able to take more runs out doors without snow on the ground, wooo hoo.

Little off topic, but this is my favorite place to run. Bayshore Blvd.

It is the longest continuous sidwalk in the whole world. Tampa's little claim to fame. That and lightning.

BTW- it is 81 degrees today

The Bayshore Greenway is a favorite of locals, especially joggers, skaters, and bikers, for its scenic views of the bay and 3.8 miles (6.1 km) of the world's longest continuous sidewalk,[citation needed] which starts on the north at Columbus Statue Park and ends at Gandy Boulevard. Bayshore Boulevard also is the site of Tampa's annual Gasparilla parade. In 2008 Bayshore was the primary backdrop for a Lexus commercial. [1]

Bayshore extends from Brorein Street in downtown all the way down Tampa's Interbay peninsula. However, the southern most portions are only accessible by military personnel as it is on MacDill Air Force Base. The boulevard is four lanes from its intersection at Platt Street all the way to Gandy Boulevard. From there, the boulevard is two lanes all the way to MacDill AFB. Bayshore has only six traffic signals along its route: at Platt Street, Howard Avenue, Bay-to-Bay Boulevard, Gandy Boulevard, and both intersections with Interbay Boulevard. Motorists headed northbound on Bayshore at Bay-to-Bay Boulevard have a constant green arrow and thus do not have to ever stop at the intersection.[citation needed]

Old 11-17-2010, 12:57 PM

158 posts, read 284,649 times
Quote:
Little off topic, but this is my favorite place to run. Bayshore Blvd.

It is the longest continuous sidwalk in the whole world. Tampa's little claim to fame. That and lightning.

BTW- it is 81 degrees today

Dr. Craig,

I can no longer talk to you due to your pictures and weather forecast have made me jealous ...just joking of course. You remind me of my cousin in Orlando though, I will be scraping ice of my windows with freeezing finger tips and receive a random text from her about how she is on the beach with crab legs and a bucket of Corona Thanks for sharing.

It is 42, cloudy, windy and rainy here in Kansas City, ugh!

I would love to run along that area, wow. I actually made it a point to drive along there next month when I visit. I have read about and viewed pictures of Bayshore Blvd. I wouldnt mind seeing that on the regular.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:09 PM

670 posts, read 1,279,981 times
Wow! I moved here 4 years ago from Chantilly! Small world huh!? This is exciting to read. I never meet people here from the NOVA area! Welcome!

Old 11-18-2010, 06:26 PM

436 posts, read 1,122,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
Wow! I moved here 4 years ago from Chantilly! Small world huh!? This is exciting to read. I never meet people here from the NOVA area! Welcome!
I'm originally from Fairfax/Chantilly myself!

Old 11-19-2010, 05:24 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,313,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
Wow! I moved here 4 years ago from I never meet people here from the NOVA area!
Really? There are thousands of them working on MacDill AFB.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:56 AM

239 posts, read 672,058 times
Quote:

yea, but if they tell you they have to shoot you LOL

Old 11-19-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Well if I can get a government job at MacDill, which I have been trying to do since moving here, I would fit right in!

Old 11-19-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillyx View Post
I'm originally from Fairfax/Chantilly myself!
Cool Billy! Do you ever think of going back?

Old 11-20-2010, 02:47 PM

168 posts, read 425,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamia36 View Post
My husband and I grew up in the DC area, and relocated to Tampa about two and a half years ago. It's been great here---we've never looked back. The lifestyle is definitely a shift, but for us it was one for the better. The beaches here put crapshoots like Ocean City and Virginia Beach to shame, and the gorgeous weather eight months out of the year more than makes up for the hot summers.

The thing I miss most about DC/Maryland/Virginia is the food...specifically the seafood. For a state that is a giant peninsula, Florida is severely lacking in quality seafood. You order a crab cake sandwich here and what you get is....not a crab cake sandwich. There are a few gems here, but you have to dig through a lot of chains to find them. Dining in the Tampa area in general leaves a bit to be desired when you compare it to DC, but on the plus side I feel like living here has made me a better home cook.

The only other thing I'd caution about is the Florida drivers...They make the Beltway seem like child's play. You'd think obeying traffic lights was optional, speed limits are more of a suggestion, turn signals are unheard of, and apparently they think they have to have their thumbs on their cell-phone keypads in order for the motor to run. Be prepared for a jump in your Auto Insurance when you move here...there's good cause for it.

Anyway, good luck with your impending relocation!

I just moved from the DC area to Tampa about 3 weeks ago. I would have to disagree about the driving and the food.

When living in DC, I've never felt more anger behind the wheel. Down here it doesn't even compare. And to really make that statement stand out, I lived in North Jersey and PA before the DC area and both of them are known for bad drivers. DC is hands down the worst metropolitan area for traffic and driving.

As far as the food, I guess it depends on what you are looking for. I know that when I was in the DC area, I missed being able to find good and cheap Latin American (Cuba, PR, DR more specifically which was only served at Manna in Takoma Park or Carolina's in Columbia Heights) and Italian food (good Italian food is non existent in the DC area). In Tampa, I have already found a couple of good, cheap Cuban and Puerto Rican restaurants and I will probably try some of the Italian places next.

All in all, I've been happy with my move from the DC area to FL, especially when I consider I am making MORE money (not just with calculations, but actually a bigger salary). I would definitely like to hear from other ex-DC area residents to hear how they like the area here compared to where they came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay