Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 03:48 PM

26 posts, read 91,849 times

Advertisements

Opened my last package of regular ground beef and the smell of ammonia burned my eyes and nose, looked it up and sure enough, ALL regular ground beef has it now..... on top of the pink sludge and they still call it 100% beef ?!?!?

So I am on a mission to feed my family better. Would prefer a local farmer in the Valrico/Brandon area who could supply chicken, beef, pork.

But willing to drive and buy it anywhere in east side of Hillsborough or Polk County.

My last option is to buy it online - the shipping is a killer, especially with our high temps here. I'd have to buy big box of it not to pay for 2nd day air.

FYI, Publix Greenwise brand is NO Antibiotics or growth hormones BUT it is not organic fed and not grass fed.

The Whole Foods store is a long drive from me, almost an hour and their prices may compare to having it shipped from online to my door.

What are other organic meat buyers doing??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 04:47 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Maybe you can find something on this website:

Eat Wild

Old 08-16-2010, 05:57 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,078,831 times
Florida is not a very organic state sadly. I wish we had a policy where stores, restaurants and the like only purchased goods within a say 200 mile area - but everyone wants strawberries year round and steak from cattle raised on the other side of the planet and dont get me going on fish from the south China sea! Life could be healthier and cheaper if we didn't want so much exotic stuff and ate in seasonal fashion. I'm not a tree hugger (I drive an SUV - can't afford to trade it in right now!) but see the sense in many green issues.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:18 PM

That's why I am glad I live here in Sarasota - we have LOTS of local/organic food options!

Old 08-16-2010, 07:27 PM

gypsychic - Thank you so much!!

I found
Organic Black Angus & Prime Wagyu Beef, and Organic Pork!!!!

I'm already in a veggies and fruit buying co-op, unfortunately it is not organic. Hopefully I can get them into the meat. If not I'll look on here or Craigs List to start one.

Buying meat by the whole pig or half a beef just makes sense - the prices are really not that much more than store prices. I'll have to drive to the farm to get it, but wow - it does not get any fresher than that!!

Anyone interested?

Old 08-16-2010, 07:39 PM

30 posts, read 129,486 times
BullBoxer31 farms is in Ocala but they do deliveries once or twice a month to Tampa. You meet them at their drop location. Home Page

Old 08-16-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshopsalot View Post
gypsychic - Thank you so much!!

I found
Organic Black Angus & Prime Wagyu Beef, and Organic Pork!!!!

I'm already in a veggies and fruit buying co-op, unfortunately it is not organic. Hopefully I can get them into the meat. If not I'll look on here or Craigs List to start one.

Buying meat by the whole pig or half a beef just makes sense - the prices are really not that much more than store prices. I'll have to drive to the farm to get it, but wow - it does not get any fresher than that!!

Anyone interested?
You're welcome! I'm glad you found what you were looking for. I wish I could buy beef this way, there are ranches in my area but unfortunately we don't have the freezer room for even the 1/8 side.

With all the wonderful farmer's markets, farms and ranches we have herein Sarasota Bradenton, one thing we DON'T have is a really good "local city market" type place that sells only locally grown meats, produce, etc. (I am not talking Whole Foods and the like) I think if someone would do this it would go over big.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:34 PM

I know it;s too far for you, but we go to Plant City's Farmers Market and buy where the restaurants and fruit stands buy. It's not all local, but a lot is.

I am in a group of 12 families. We each pitch in 15$ every other week. We take turns going to the market and pciking up as much as we can buy.

We go home and sort it into labels laundry baskets and members come pick it up. This works really great for us. Sometimes those baskets are so heavy I can hardly lift them!!

Now, if we could just go organic - I would be in heaven.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:35 PM

Stevecybo,

THANKS !!! that looks like a really interesting company and they have such a great variety.

If you shops from them, what do you recommend?

Old 08-17-2010, 05:12 AM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Whole Foods is not expensive when compared to other sources. I do understand not wanting to drive an hour to get there however. Local Harvest is an excellent source for locating locally produced food available via internet, farmers markets and even restaurants that serve locally produced/organic items. On that website I found Sunset Ranch, a small family farm producing Grass Fed Beef, just east of Brandon in the Dover area. Here's their link: About Us - Sunset Ranch (http://sunsetranchfl.com/about-us/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay