Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2017, 06:06 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,759,014 times

Advertisements

I see that this forum doesn't get much activity but hopefully someone will see this and offer some help.

Apple stopped supporting the iPad2 some time ago so I'm stuck with using iOS 9.3.5. I don't recall if the problem began with the last update but the iPad behaves as though the memory is limited, something is running in the background, or the processor is going bad. By that, I mean that many tasks take far longer than they used to and the keyboard lags behind (the letter appears on the screen 1-3 seconds after touching the screen) most of the time.

I've tried everything I could find to optimize the performance and finally gave up and reset everything. That helped a little bit (wishful thinking?) but it still has issues.

Do they just deteriorate? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 06:59 PM

16,559 posts, read 19,745,492 times
I actually have an iPad2. We don't use it much but I saw your post, looked to my left, and there's our 2. My son was just playing with it. It runs fine. It got a little wonky when we upgraded to 9. It seemed to settle down and runs really well right now. I don't update it anymore, though. It's so old, there's no need to. So I just went to see what version I am on: looks like I have an update available to 9.3.5. Guess I'll pass. lol
I see you did a full reset. That should have helped tremendously. You didn't do a restore from an old backup, right? If not, and it ran poorly right after the reset, there could be a hardware issue coming on and it's days could be numbered.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:16 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,531,508 times
How much memory do you have left?

I let my ipad 3 get so full that I ended up having to do the factory reset because it wouldn't let me delete things. I actually thought it was dead and was quite relieved when I managed to fix it through reading a lot of blog posts. I had to download some software that got it out of "recovery" mode before I could actually recover it. Now I make sure there is at least 1 GB free at all times and it's running great.

If you have photos on there, they're probably using all the memory. Store them somewhere else. You may need to turn off icloud photo sharing on the ipad.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:23 PM

491 posts, read 475,123 times
The newer iOS software upgrades take more power to run properly, so yes it will be a little slower on the iPad 2's slower processor.

If you had kept the same OS that the iPad 2 originally came in, it would be running the same as before. It's just a trade-off that you make.

Anyway if you're looking for a new iPad, you should probably wait for the iPad Pro 2, that's supposed to come out soon. Otherwise you could go for the recently released iPad (9.7") that just came out and is $330. It would be much faster than you have now, but it won't be able to use the Apple Pencil, but other then that, it is the cheapest offering Apple has. If you want the latest and greatest, wait for the iPad Pro 2 that is supposed to come out this year, which will have all the latest bells and whistles.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:40 PM

Thanks for the replies. When it first started having issues, I deleted every app I didn't need and I have it set to keep photos on iCloud so that's not it. In fact, I have 17GB available. The other strange thing I'm finding since doing the reset is that sometimes the lag is very noticeable and other times (like now) it's very slight. It did reload everything from the cloud backup (doh) after the reset but I don't think that would be a problem unless the actual app is a problem but I just don't think that's it.

I'm definitely due for a new one but I hate to spend money needlessly. $330 is pretty good, though. Anyone know if the online speed is any better when you have an iPad with cellular (like my current one) vs. using my iPhone 6s as a hotspot for a new iPad that only has wifi? Does using the hotspot on the iPhone cause the battery to rapidly drain?

Old 04-29-2017, 02:04 PM

39 posts, read 36,640 times
My parents have an iPad 2 and, after upgrading the OS, they experienced similar issues. The following tricks were applied and helped in some use cases:
- regularly rebooting the device (for some reason iOS 9.x slows down over time and only hard rebooting seems to help)
- not running many apps at the same time (while no true multi-tasking is offered we felt switching between many memory intense apps slowed the device down a lot)
- disabling javascript on Safari really helped web speeds

But it still lags from time to time in newer apps. This is for their WIFI only iPad 2 originally purchased in London, UK.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:37 PM

491 posts, read 475,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Thanks for the replies. When it first started having issues, I deleted every app I didn't need and I have it set to keep photos on iCloud so that's not it. In fact, I have 17GB available. The other strange thing I'm finding since doing the reset is that sometimes the lag is very noticeable and other times (like now) it's very slight. It did reload everything from the cloud backup (doh) after the reset but I don't think that would be a problem unless the actual app is a problem but I just don't think that's it.

I'm definitely due for a new one but I hate to spend money needlessly. $330 is pretty good, though. Anyone know if the online speed is any better when you have an iPad with cellular (like my current one) vs. using my iPhone 6s as a hotspot for a new iPad that only has wifi? Does using the hotspot on the iPhone cause the battery to rapidly drain?
Online speed is determined by the network you're connecting to. So, if you have wi-fi at home it might be faster than cellular. Likewise, a wi-fi network in one public place, might be faster than in another place. It depends on how fast the hotspot of your phone, how fast your cellular connection is or how fast the home wi-fi network is.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:15 PM

Yeah, I suppose I already knew that so, now that I think about it, that was a dumb question.

Bullish, those were some of the first things I tried but I never tried disabling JavaScript. I'll try that and see. Thanks.

Is anyone aware of a reliable source for downloading older versions of iOS? I wish I could revert to the one before.

Last edited by bbronston; 04-30-2017 at 06:27 PM..

Old 04-30-2017, 11:44 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,531,508 times
Ideas here: Fix iOS 9 Slow Performance & Lag with Three Easy Tips | OSXDaily

And even more here: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-10344

They both mention Reduce Motion under accessibility - something I'd have never though of.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:40 AM

39 posts, read 36,640 times
you can downgrade to older iOS versions on iOS devices IF either

1) Apple still signs the old version (for reasons only known to Apple Inc)
OR
2) you have saved the SHSH blobs with a tool like Tiny Umbrella

If neither case is available to you the answer is no, downgrading is not possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets