Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 08:26 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,865,983 times

Advertisements

I am still too new to Syracuse to understand the politics of the city, but I found this article (written back in Septemer, prior to Ms. Miner's win) by Russ Tarby of the Syracuse City Eagle very interesting:

Downtown After Dark: Miner’s support is rooted in anti-Destiny politics

How do you guys here feel about what Mr. Tarby has to say in regards to her winning based on her standing up to Destiny USA developer Bob Congel in 2006?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 04:52 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,768,956 times
I'm not in the city of Syracuse [and thus did not vote in the mayoral election] but she'd likely have had my vote in large part, just for that... being intensely opposed to DestiNY. She is nothing, if not realistic and critical. I'm sick of idiot mayors running Syracuse into the ground because of their ignorance. (And OHHHHHH so ignorant that they probably don't even realize just how much they're missing! grrrrr) This Republican moderate can't wait to see what she does with the city... what's good for the city is typically good for CNY.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:23 AM

580 posts, read 1,175,834 times
I've always been pleased in her vehement opposition to the Destiny scam (though not certain that the reasoning behind her opposition is sound), but I think that the election result might come down to something a little more simple -- after the suburban exodus of the past decade-plus, Syracuse leans pretty well left of center; most Democrats would've won this election.

I'm not a big supporter of hers (I'm a left-leaning independent who voted for Kimatian), but I do wish her well (and agree strongly that what is good for the city is good for the region). And she lives a couple blocks from my family, so I'm sure Ward 17 will continue to receive top-notch public services, as has been the case for my entire life.

Here's to hoping she continues support for SMART development or none at all. Maybe she'll suprise us and actually form a vision for what Syracuse should look like in 2050 or 2100 and then start taking concrete actions to realize that vision.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:51 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,499,935 times
Around here developers confuse being asked questions that need actual answers with opposition to their projects. Asking questions is not opposition. It's looking for needed answers. How can anyone support a project until they truly know what its about?

Old 11-19-2009, 10:35 AM

1,002 posts, read 2,002,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
Around here developers confuse being asked questions that need actual answers with opposition to their projects. Asking questions is not opposition. It's looking for needed answers. How can anyone support a project until they truly know what its about?
That was my biggest takeaway. There's a substantial difference between asking questions and not taking the PR-blowoff answers and actual opposition.

Miner got my (grudging) support largely because every time Kimatian opened his mouth he proved how poor a grasp he had on things. Like Onondaga Creek flowing out from Onondaga Lake, or stating that the common council should have negotiated a better deal on the DestinyUSA project when he and his station at the time had been telling the common council to get on with it already and approve it as is.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:43 AM

580 posts, read 1,175,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
or stating that the common council should have negotiated a better deal on the DestinyUSA project when he and his station at the time had been telling the common council to get on with it already and approve it as is.
That was grossly hypocritical of Kimatian; I was quite disappointed by that (repeated) line.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:44 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,865,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
I've always been pleased in her vehement opposition to the Destiny scam (though not certain that the reasoning behind her opposition is sound), but I think that the election result might come down to something a little more simple -- after the suburban exodus of the past decade-plus, Syracuse leans pretty well left of center; most Democrats would've won this election.

I'm not a big supporter of hers (I'm a left-leaning independent who voted for Kimatian), but I do wish her well (and agree strongly that what is good for the city is good for the region). And she lives a couple blocks from my family, so I'm sure Ward 17 will continue to receive top-notch public services, as has been the case for my entire life.

Here's to hoping she continues support for SMART development or none at all. Maybe she'll suprise us and actually form a vision for what Syracuse should look like in 2050 or 2100 and then start taking concrete actions to realize that vision.
The "suburban exodus" seems to have been going on for longer than just a decade! Apparently the current population of the city is about what it was in 1910, about 140,000. I also read that the numbers have actually been declining since the 1950's!

For the sake of the people who love it here and consider it "home", I sincerely hope she is able to turn some things around

Old 11-19-2009, 02:27 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,768,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
That was grossly hypocritical of Kimatian; I was quite disappointed by that (repeated) line.
My own issues with Kimatian stemmed around my strong perception that he's just like every other slimeball politician... not very knowledgeable but tries to appear so to get votes. I read a comparison of all three candidates before the election and he seemed to answer questions how voters would most like him to... and that's all.

My biggest triggers was this- Otis and Kimatian both committed to not raising taxes. Why? Taxes need to be raised sometimes. Not knowing the issues, since they weren't yet mayor and weren't privvy to what's actually going on in the city, I don't know how on earth they came to the conclusion of not raising taxes. So- they were either lying about their committment to not raising taxes or trying to appease voters. I don't like either. Miner refused to commit to not raising taxes, saying that she didn't have enough information to make that promise. I like that.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:36 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,873,256 times
Oh god, all you Stephanie Miner lovers!!! Its like a love fest in here. I guess I am the only Destiny supporter on this topic. I do not think Destiny is a scam, but I will give S.M. the benefit of the doubt and see what happens.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:28 PM

25 posts, read 66,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
I guess I am the only Destiny supporter on this topic.
Nah, i'm a supporter too. Especially at this point. Just build the damn thing, fill it with occupants, and get it over with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area