Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:31 AM

13 posts, read 1,595 times

Advertisements

Been studying my old friend from 25 years ago, and he warned people to get out of large cities...I guess I wasn't paying attention because I ended up in Las Vegas, LA, and San Diego for too long after I graduated from Syracuse U....and now we have more of a mess on our hands with all the freedoms taken away from individuals, which leads to more instability and more stressors in these big cities...this has lead me to strongly believe that the future for a better life is in places like Syracuse, NY, not only for each of us, but for our future generations. They will appreciate the property and land we could pass on to them from land in Madison or Onondaga County, not from a home in a bigger cities, especially places like NYC. So, the Future is in Syracuse. People can laugh all they want, but I know this is correct. Think I am coming back this Fall, and not looking back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM

93,354 posts, read 124,009,048 times
I think people would be surprised by how many “moving to Syracuse” threads I’ve seen in another forum and given some of the economic announcements recently, I wouldn’t be surprised if the area grows at a good, steady clip. It is kind of happening already, but there needs to be more and a good mix of housing built in the area.

Also, I dare say that Oswego County more than Madison County in terms of the outer metro area counties will see quite a bit of growth due to its proximity to the Micron site.

My only concern is if those in the areas with concentrated poverty are able to be an integral part of the prosperity and not so much in terms of dispersal, but to meet them where they are first. I say that as there has been some decisions by some institutions that can give people aware of what is going on some pause(Le Moyne College in terms of buying homes in the Salt Springs neighborhood(a predominantly black working/middle class neighborhood nearby and Upstate Medical/Syracuse Housing Authority in terms of an Optometry school being built on a site in the Blueprint 15 development, which should have had community input and in a predominantly black lower income area). So, that is something to keep in mind in all of this.

I will also say that things are changing in terms of places outside of the city becoming more diverse, in part to the refugee resettlement/immigration in the recent past and families becoming more mobile and moving to various parts of the immediate area. Again, it has been happening for a while, but has become more notable within the past 10-15 years or so.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; Yesterday at 07:14 AM..

Old Yesterday, 07:58 AM

3,514 posts, read 9,428,585 times
The Syracuse area has a low risk of

hurricanes,

earthquakes,

wildfires,

drought,

flooding from sea water rise,

tornadoes,

Rsunamis,

There are large hills to the south of Syracuse, NY good for skiing

Forests nearby for hiking. Adirondack mountains and Finger Lakes gorges within a couple hours of the Syracuse area

Nearby Finger Lakes Wine Country

Beaches on local lakes like Lake Ontario and Oneida Lake

Land is fertile for farming

The Syracuse Metropolitan Area has an ample, almost unlimited water supply from Lake Ontario, and two Finger Lakes which is good for any future droughts or high demand from growth or industry.

Electric Power from wind, solar, Nuclear, and Hydroelectric.

Only about a dozen metropolitan areas get municipal water from the Great Lakes like Cleveland, Milwaukee, Grand Rapids, Buffalo, Syracuse, NY, and Rochester. Cities must be within the Great Lakes Watershed to have access to Great Lakes water.
The Great Lakes Compact bans the diversion of Great Lakes water outside the basin, with limited exceptions.

Upstate NY is becoming an ecocomy focused on microchip manufacturing with companies like Golbal Foundaries, Wolfspeed and now Micron’s new campus to be built over the next 20 years, eventually bringing 9,000 jobs across four plants at White Pine technology Park in Clay, NewYork which is a Syracuse, NY suburb. The company’s plans call for building cleanroom space that will cover about 2.4 million square feet, the size of almost 40 football fields.

Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM

^Plus the area is within 3-5 hours by car from NYC, Toronto, Montreal, Philadelphia, Boston, Pittsburgh, Ottawa and Cleveland, while other outdoor amenity locations like the Catskills, Poconos, Lake Champlain, the Thousand Islands, Letchworth State Park, etc. are also within that driving distance.

This doesn’t include the other places/areas within the state and having so many colleges that can feed into the chip fabrication industry within a couple of hours or so of the city such as Syracuse University, Cornell University, RIT, UB, Clarkson, RPI, Binghamton University and UAlbany, among some others, doesn’t hurt either.

So, Syracuse’s geographical advantage within the state and Northeast could really be capitalized on and appeal to many people.

Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM

I posted this in another thread, but it is relevant to this thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Sspss59lI

Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM

Maybe we should just keep things quiet so more people don't move here.

I read a book a few years ago, about Strategic Relocation, and the author noted that CLAY, NY, was the safest city in the United States. Incredible. I think that is great. I wouldn't live there, but that says a lot about Central NY.

We also have the best Italian food for a reasonable price, and so much history with the Native Americans and Underground Railroad.

Just a great place to be a part of. A future. That is what people should consider when looking for a great place to live.

Another thing that just came up was the high quality air and water in CNY, it is also among the best in the world.

Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces777 View Post
Maybe we should just keep things quiet so more people don't move here.

I read a book a few years ago, about Strategic Relocation, and the author noted that CLAY, NY, was the safest city in the United States. Incredible. I think that is great. I wouldn't live there, but that says a lot about Central NY.

We also have the best Italian food for a reasonable price, and so much history with the Native Americans and Underground Railroad.

Just a great place to be a part of. A future. That is what people should consider when looking for a great place to live.

Another thing that just came up was the high quality air and water in CNY, it is also among the best in the world.
Yes, this is true and other bigger Upstate NY towns such as Amherst and Colonie have been recognized for the same thing.

On another note, here is a nice video of the area that I came across: https://www.instagram.com/p/C6CirHkODs6/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; Yesterday at 01:55 PM..

Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I posted this in another thread, but it is relevant to this thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Sspss59lI
Thanks for posting this. Excellent video.

It will be difficult to give up the no state income tax and "sun" benefits of Nevada, but the upside of CNY is better...I also think it helps to be an SU graduate, and to have that connection. I know where all the "good spots" are in CNY, and there is so much to like about it. I would also say that CNY is a very patriotic city, and that is very important to me.

Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM

^I also think that the area can appeal to a diverse range of people, as the city is quite diverse and with the investment by industry, I think there is a more conscious effort to get those left out of the market in the past to obtain the skills needed for the jobs that are or will be available.

Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^Plus the area is within 3-5 hours by car from NYC, Toronto, Montreal, Philadelphia, Boston, Pittsburgh, Ottawa and Cleveland, while other outdoor amenity locations like the Catskills, Poconos, Lake Champlain, the Thousand Islands, Letchworth State Park, etc. are also within that driving distance.

This doesn’t include the other places/areas within the state and having so many colleges that can feed into the chip fabrication industry within a couple of hours or so of the city such as Syracuse University, Cornell University, RIT, UB, Clarkson, RPI, Binghamton University and UAlbany, among some others, doesn’t hurt either.

So, Syracuse’s geographical advantage within the state and Northeast could really be capitalized on and appeal to many people.
Another thing to consider is that Syracuse also allows for people to attending Power 5 College and high level minor league Baseball and hockey events, many arts based events(will illustrate this tomorrow in the events thread), diverse festivals throughout the year, the NY State Fair, plenty of parks, is minutes from the largest lake completely within the state(Oneida Lake), the JMA Wireless Dome allows for events/concerts throughout the year and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area