Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2023, 08:35 AM

3,512 posts, read 9,422,875 times

Advertisements

Map of the City of Syracuse.

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2023/0...to-growth.html

"A survey of the more than 35,000 residential properties in Syracuse found that one-third showed signs of “chronic disinvestment.” Only four of the city’s 28 neighborhoods – Winkworth, Meadowbrook, Sedgwick and Strathmore – scored well for exterior upkeep."

Basically unless you move to those four neighborhoods, the inner harbor or downtown, I strongly advise to move to one of the better suburbs. Meadowbrook is probably the only one that I could imagine myself living in now.

If you are sensitive to the energy of the built environment the suburbs that I'd avoid until they get more investment and improvement from the economic growth happening are Seneca Knolls in Van Buren, Bridgeport in Cicero, East Syracuse in Dewitt, Minoa in Manlius, Solvay, Lakeland in Geddes, and Lyncourt in Salina.
Attached Thumbnails
Don't Move to the Wrong Area-jg25r3z6e5aylpdll4y344qasq.jpg  

Last edited by bellafinzi; 06-22-2023 at 08:51 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2023, 08:49 AM

93,219 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Map of the City of Syracuse.

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2023/0...to-growth.html

"A survey of the more than 35,000 residential properties in Syracuse found that one-third showed signs of “chronic disinvestment.” Only four of the city’s 28 neighborhoods – Winkworth, Meadowbrook, Sedgwick and Strathmore – scored well for exterior upkeep."
This was mentioned in the top 12 housing markets thread. Some of this study has to be put into perspective, as there are more than just 4 neighborhoods that offer solid areas to live in within the city. I don’t believe it accounted for the age or household situation of the homeowner, as well as to what degree within a neighborhood.

I’d say that neighborhoods like Eastwood, Court-Woodlawn(a North Side neighborhood north of Grant Boulevard), Salt Springs(a predominantly black, outer East Side neighborhood that is largely working-solidly middle class(especially SFH streets east of Seeley Rd. and has been for decades), Outer Comstock(just west of SU’s South Campus), Westcott(east of SU and particularly in the non student rental streets), South Valley(south of Seneca Turnpike), the northern portion/top of the hill toward James for Lincoln Park/Hill, Elmwood(up the hill closer to Onondaga Hill), Tipperary Hill(an outer West Side neighborhood, especially just north of Burnet Park) and Berkeley Park(an old money, historic neighborhood next to SU) are some other areas that come to mind in terms of areas of the city worth looking into. There are some other pockets that come to mind, but those some other areas that were left out, but are generally solid or have nice areas.

I also look at the study as a way to set it up for gentrification, when there are other areas in the city, like those above that don’t need it.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-22-2023 at 09:04 AM..

Old 06-22-2023, 09:06 AM

3,512 posts, read 9,422,875 times
The best places to live in the Syracuse area are

-the Eastern suburbs of Fayetteville, Manlius, Dewitt, Jamesville, Pompey, Cazenovia and Chittenango

-the Western suburbs of Camillus, Fairmount, Onondaga, Onondaga Hill, Marcellus and of course Skaneateles but it is more rural.

-the Northern suburbs of Lysander, Baldwinsville, Liverpool, Clay, parts of North Syracuse and Cicero.

Places that are OK but less desirable in my opinion based on location, energy and vibe...(sometimes it really depends on the specific street or neighborhood ) are Westvale, Mattydale, Galeville, North Syracuse, Brewerton, Village Green, and Van Buren.

Old 06-22-2023, 09:30 AM

93,219 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
The best places to live in the Syracuse area are

-the Eastern suburbs of Fayetteville, Manlius, Dewitt, Jamesville, Pompey, Cazenovia and Chittenango

-the Western suburbs of Camillus, Fairmount, Onondaga, Onondaga Hill, Marcellus and of course Skaneateles but it is more rural.

-the Northern suburbs of Lysander, Baldwinsville, Liverpool, Clay, parts of North Syracuse and Cicero.

Places that are OK but less desirable in my opinion based on location, energy and vibe...(sometimes it really depends on the specific street or neighborhood ) are Westvale, Mattydale, Galeville, North Syracuse, Brewerton, Village Green, and Van Buren.
It depends on what a person is looking for, as some people don’t want the usual places people name for the “best” places to live.

Also, if you want the city, you may want Downtown, Franklin Square or the University area if you want to be near events. Some may like the old money neighborhoods like Sedgwick, Strathmore, Scottholm(an East Side neighborhood within Meadowbrook), Berkeley Park; or Bradford Hills(another outer East Side neighborhood next to DeWitt), Eastwood, Salt Springs, etc. for different reasons like walkability, diversity/demographic reasons, proximity, affordability, if they are going with private schools anyway, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area