Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2018, 09:27 AM

6 posts, read 6,204 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I are considering a move to central square ny area. We are looking for a home with some land in the country and it seems this area has many options. We work from home so looking for jobs is not a problem.

I'd like to know any tips or experiences about what life is like, especially in the winter. I'm from the poconos in PA so I'm no stranger to winter, but we don't have lake effect snow.

-how much snow do you get in an average winter?
-is it many little snow storms or several large more like blizzard storms
-do people hunker down in the winter or slap on tire chains and keep going?

-is there a good selection of restaurants and shopping (within an hours distance)
-are people open to outsiders?
-is there any dangers or risks or concerns that outsiders wouldn't know?

Tell me all your advice and your stories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 10:27 AM

93,307 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Expect plenty of snow, as places along the I-81 in Oswego County are essentially in the heart of the Lake Ontario lake effect snowbelt. Sometimes you can get quite a bit of snow and other times you don’t or even get thaws during the winter.

It is just north of Cicero, a northern suburban town with plenty of big box shopping. There is some in Clay along Route 31 as well. There is a Super Wal Mart outside of the village of Central Square too.

Tire chains? Snow tires, sure, but snow chains, highly unlikely to no.

It is an area where you may find snowmobiles and good fishing, while still being within a reasonable drive to Syracuse.

Also, keep in mind that the Central Square School District can cover areas such as Cleveland/Constantia and West Monroe on Oneida Lake, Brewerton(which straddles the Onondaga/Oswego County lone, Hastings, etc. So, it covers a pretty wide area in SE Oswego County and parts of northern Onondaga County.

Just curious, but besides home prices, is there anything else you are looking for in a community? Have you been to the area before?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-12-2018 at 10:53 AM..

Old 06-12-2018, 10:54 AM

6 posts, read 6,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Expect plenty of snow, as places along the I-81 in Oswego County are essentially in the heart of the Lake Ontario lake effect snowbelt. Sometimes you can get quite a bit of snow and other times you don’t or even get thaws during the winter.

It is just north of Cicero, a northern suburban town with plenty of big box shopping. There is some in Clay along Route 31 as well. There is a Super Wal Mart outside of the village of Central Square too.

Tire chains? Snow tires, sure, but snow chains, highly unlikely to no.

It is an area where you may find snowmobiles and good fishing, while still being within a reasonable drive to Syracuse.

Also, keep in mind that Central Square School District can cover areas such as Cleveland/Constantia and West Monroe on Oneida Lake, Brewerton(which straddles the Onondaga/Oswego County lone, Hastings, etc. So, it covers a pretty wide area in SE Oswego County and parts of northern Onondaga County.

Just curious, but besides home prices, is there anything else you are looking for in a community? Have you been to the area before?
We haven't been to the area yet, we are driving up next week. I've only been to Syracuse before. As far as the community goes, we are homebodies so we don't need too much, but we like the ability to go to farmers markets and have a CSA. We like to be able to go out to eat at places with really good food. We don't have kids so school districts aren't an issue. We'd like to have an affordable home with a few acres that we can have a large garden or greenhouse, dogs, maybe some farm type animals such as goats and chickens, ambitiously horses. We'd like just a place where people aren't rude and it's sort of a chill place to live.

When there is a snowstorm, do people generally stay inside til things get plowed out, or does it not affect people's lives really? Are the roads generally well cared for? PA roads are the worst lol

Old 06-12-2018, 11:09 AM

93,307 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxrox18 View Post
We haven't been to the area yet, we are driving up next week. I've only been to Syracuse before. As far as the community goes, we are homebodies so we don't need too much, but we like the ability to go to farmers markets and have a CSA. We like to be able to go out to eat at places with really good food. We don't have kids so school districts aren't an issue. We'd like to have an affordable home with a few acres that we can have a large garden or greenhouse, dogs, maybe some farm type animals such as goats and chickens, ambitiously horses. We'd like just a place where people aren't rude and it's sort of a chill place to live.

When there is a snowstorm, do people generally stay inside til things get plowed out, or does it not affect people's lives really? Are the roads generally well cared for? PA roads are the worst lol
I’m not sure about the Central Square area specifically, but snow is usually plowed in a relatively timely manner. Roads/streets can be bad after the winter, but the summer sees quite bit of road construction and severity depends on how harsh the winter was.

As for a farmers market: https://www.villageofcentralsquare-ny.us/farmers-market
There are others in villages/towns/cities in Oswego and Onondaga counties as well.

Also, just in case, I would consider communities in Madison and Cayuga counties, as well as Cortland County, southern and far western Onondaga County for properties that would fit what you are looking for in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area