Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 12:59 AM

93,414 posts, read 124,120,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBirdiesSing View Post
Thanks again, those are amazing links. I am generally looking in the Westcott area, Dewitt, Fayetteville/Manlius and Caz. Here are some of the places that seem to have price drops relative to the past:

https://www.trulia.com/property/3054...novia-NY-13035

https://www.trulia.com/property/3152...novia-NY-13035

https://www.trulia.com/property/3172...novia-NY-13035

https://www.trulia.com/property/3036...ville-NY-13066

https://www.trulia.com/property/3036...ville-NY-13066

https://www.trulia.com/property/5032...acuse-NY-13224

https://www.trulia.com/property/3138...acuse-NY-13203

I just found those now in less than 5 minutes of looking. In each case, a substantial price drop (to the current asking price, which is higher than whatever it will eventually sell for) from the last sold price. In some cases the last sold was just a couple of years ago, in others it was back in 2006.

Obviously that's just a few houses and there will always be people who overpaid and then can't get back what they're selling for. But it sort of worries me that a flat (or worse, declining) property market is a hidden cost of moving to Syracuse. First, there's the fact that 20 or 30 years from now you have no equity compared to other places that had gaining property values, so options for moving/retiring/downsizing are limited. Second, even a flat market is a real loss of 2 or 3 percent a year (depending on inflation). On say a $300,000 house, that's a lot of money. Third, all these houses must have had thousands of dollars spent on them in the intervening years, if not for renovations and so on then at least for necessary maintenance, etc.

This ties in to the property tax issue because property taxes are roughly equal to the interest on a mortgage, meaning that Syracuse property could be thought of like this: You have to pay down your mortgage, plus you have to pay, forever, the equivalent of your mortgage on the value of your house (minus Star, which isn't that much).

I don't mean to be negative I'm not thinking through the situation.

In terms of what we're looking for, ideally walkability, racially and SES diverse schools, immediate neighbours with kids, immediate neighbours who are not too well off.

thanks again.
I see what you are saying. I believe that realtor.com and local sites like CNY realtor and cnyhomes have similar information.

Also, consider that the taxes shown aren’t necessarily what you pay as shown in the listing. Many aren’t shown with the STAR and other possible exemptions.

A lot of this will likely depend where you go within the area and where you eventually move to in regards to retirement afterwards. For instance, this gives median home prices by metro area, for select metro areas: https://www.nar.realtor/research-and...-affordability

Also, budget and pay plays a part in this as well.

For most part, you can deduct your property taxes as well(up to $10,000). However, here’s some things to consider with that: https://itep.org/house-tax-bill-woul...st-households/

More on that: https://www.thebalance.com/property-...uction-3192847

Tax reform's $10K property tax deduction is worthless - Don't Mess With Taxes

Given what you’ve mentioned for criteria, I would say to look in villages like Liverpool, Manlius or maybes for North Syracuse and Fayetteville, the Orvilton/DeWittshire area of DeWitt(sandwiches East Genesee Street/Jamesville-DeWitt SD) in terms of suburbs, with the East Side(much of the 13210, 13224 and western portion of 13214 zip codes) and perhaps parts of the Sedgwick area(Salem-Hyde Elementary is in the neighborhood) in the city. That’s if I’m reading what you are looking for correctly and I may be overlooking a couple of areas. Those may be the best bets for what you are looking for in the area.

The listings above, except for 1 or 2, would be outside of those areas mentioned.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-16-2018 at 02:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 07:32 PM

This may help in terms of home values: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...sing/overview/

Old 01-17-2018, 05:39 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,105,490 times
OP this link will allow you to get the specific tax obligation on a property in Onondaga County which Syracuse is in Onondaga County Department of Real Property Taxes. As you see homes you like just enter there address for the property assessment, link are on the right to see the last bills including school, village(if applicable) and Town & County. The page also includes link for al the tax tables.

Every home will be obligated for School, town & county taxes; village taxes may or may not apply depending where you choose. You stated "I think taxes are generally great", I am unsure where you have been living but in comparison on a national level NY State tax obligations are considered some of the worst in the country, Syracuse communities have an average tax burden of $40 per $1000 assessed value which is extremely high.

Good luck on your move and I hope you enjoy your new community.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
OP this link will allow you to get the specific tax obligation on a property in Onondaga County which Syracuse is in Onondaga County Department of Real Property Taxes. As you see homes you like just enter there address for the property assessment, link are on the right to see the last bills including school, village(if applicable) and Town & County. The page also includes link for al the tax tables.

Every home will be obligated for School, town & county taxes; village taxes may or may not apply depending where you choose. You stated "I think taxes are generally great", I am unsure where you have been living but in comparison on a national level NY State tax obligations are considered some of the worst in the country, Syracuse communities have an average tax burden of $40 per $1000 assessed value which is extremely high.

Good luck on your move and I hope you enjoy your new community.
All of the information is in the first several posts. A lot of that information is pre property tax exemptions as well, which may yield a 10-20% decrease, depending upon qualifications, etc.

I think he may have made that statement due to coming from Europe, where the property taxes/rates are likely higher. Again, just saying this to possibly put that statement into perspective versus being an "attack".

Old 01-17-2018, 07:17 AM

/\

A person shopping for a home needs to calculate their tax burden based on the applicable tax rates not on the possibility of receiving a reduction based on an xyz formula. Can't you just accept that the assign tax rates in NY are some of the highest in the country? A person shouldn't have to move down wind of an industrial site to qualify for a reduced tax or move 30 miles out for the same benefits...

Old 01-17-2018, 08:17 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,272,938 times
The new system all NY home buyers are on is actually much simpler.

You are responsible for 100% of whatever tax number is listed.

If you taxes are 3600 a year you escrow nut is 300 per month.

Period. End of story.

You are then free to peruse options at the STAR level and receive a check. You can apply this check to your bank account to use for taxes or use it on hookers and blow

My Mothers school taxes are ZERO but every September she has to write out a check for a grand to pay the local taxes. They at some point in the future when the state gets around to it you may get a check.

Do not ever plan on your STAR check as the state mails them when it suits them not you. I look at it as some mad money.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
/\

A person shopping for a home needs to calculate their tax burden based on the applicable tax rates not on the possibility of receiving a reduction based on an xyz formula. Can't you just accept that the assign tax rates in NY are some of the highest in the country? A person shouldn't have to move down wind of an industrial site to qualify for a reduced tax or move 30 miles out for the same benefits...
What are you talking about? I just said the information was already mentioned and the aspect of STAR is a part of the property tax equation.

I don’t know where the mentioning of an industrial site or moving 30 miles out has anything to do with this. Same with NY having high tax rates. Everyone gets that, but if you are coming from Europe, they may still be lower in comparison.

There’s also the aspect of writing off your property taxes, which was also mentioned earlier in the thread.

With this said, the area does have a high housing opportunity index, which was also mentioned earlier. It is in relation to the metro median household income and the metro median home price.

In terms of the other post, you actually do get the STAR check in the mail. So, it something that you get. I guess the issue may be a matter of timing, but you do get it. I got mine last month.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-17-2018 at 10:52 AM..

Old 01-17-2018, 12:34 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,272,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What are you talking about? I just said the information was already mentioned and the aspect of STAR is a part of the property tax equation.

I don’t know where the mentioning of an industrial site or moving 30 miles out has anything to do with this. Same with NY having high tax rates. Everyone gets that, but if you are coming from Europe, they may still be lower in comparison.

There’s also the aspect of writing off your property taxes, which was also mentioned earlier in the thread.

With this said, the area does have a high housing opportunity index, which was also mentioned earlier. It is in relation to the metro median household income and the metro median home price.

In terms of the other post, you actually do get the STAR check in the mail. So, it something that you get. I guess the issue may be a matter of timing, but you do get it. I got mine last month.

Last month??

Thats one of the worst I've heard of. Couple people haven't got theirs yet but you are in the worst group.

I'll say it here but I would never say it in the general population............ I got mine first week of September. On time and expected amount. And in what is always a huge surprise a NYS check actually still cleared.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Last month??

Thats one of the worst I've heard of. Couple people haven't got theirs yet but you are in the worst group.

I'll say it here but I would never say it in the general population............ I got mine first week of September. On time and expected amount. And in what is always a huge surprise a NYS check actually still cleared.
So, it isn’t necessarily a matter of timing for everyone then. Interesting...

Old 01-17-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

1) I acknowledge that the links were previously posted that's not an issue.
2) I never said you mentioned an industrial site but what you do state example where this could be less than that or you may qualify for....... I say look at a property at the tax rate as posted first then see if you may qualify for some type of relief/break.
3) Star is not the end all and the few hundred a family might save does not really diminish the overall tax obligation.

Look at the tax table links $40(avg) per thousand assessed is ridicules , stop trying to spin it as a great value with Star or some other program.

Look at this link https://www.trulia.com/property/3036...ville-NY-13066 that the OP posted. Out of a $1769 a month mortgage $639 of that is taxes, that's $7668 a year. That is ridicules. Or this on https://www.trulia.com/property/5032...acuse-NY-13224, $1756 mortgage, $639 taxes for $7668 a year. And in looking up the second houses tax bills on the site the years tax burden will actually be $11,493.

And that is why NY is the worst or almost the worst on tax burdens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area