Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 11:39 AM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

I got thinking and wanted to run this by the forum. Would it be a great idea to create a research park in between Syracuse and Ithaca that has a focus on renewable/environmental and green research? I came across this website: Renewable Energy Research Park | Cornell Sustainable Campus and thought that considering that SUNY-ESF(Environmental Science and Forestry) ESF | SUNY-ESF | College of Environmental Science and Forestry Research at SUNY-ESF and Syracuse University are only about an hour(if that) away, perhaps it would be a great idea to combine forces similar to the Triangle Research Park in NC and create a research park somewhere around southern Onondaga County/northern Cortland County line. That way it is in the Syracuse MSA/CSA and the Ithaca CSA/Cortland micro area.

I was also thinking that given the location, its proximity to the Onondaga Nation could allow for input from the Nation in terms of environmental ideas. That in turn could create employment for an underserved community, but it also could do the same for communities of color in the area like those from Syracuse's South Side, which would be the closest urban community to the research park.

This is also considering the many other colleges and universities in the area, which could possibly add input as well. There's the possible aspect of StartUp NY to consider as well.

Just a thought...

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-31-2017 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I got thinking and wanted to run this by the forum. Would it be a great idea to create a research park in between Syracuse and Ithaca that has a focus on renewable/environmental and green research? I came across this website: Renewable Energy Research Park | Cornell Sustainable Campus and thought that considering that SUNY-ESF(Environmental Science and Forestry) ESF | SUNY-ESF | College of Environmental Science and Forestry Research at SUNY-ESF and Syracuse University are only about an hour(if that) away, perhaps it would be a great idea to combine forces similar to the Triangle Research Park in NC and create a research park somewhere around southern Onondaga County/northern Cortland County line. That way it is in the Syracuse MSA/CSA and the Ithaca CSA/Cortland micro area.

I was also thinking that given the location, its proximity to the Onondaga Nation could allow for input from the Nation in terms of environmental ideas. That in turn could create employment for an underserved community, but it also could do the same for communities of color in the area like those from Syracuse's South Side, which would be the closest urban community to the research park.

This is also considering the many other colleges and universities in the area, which could possibly add input as well. There's the possible aspect of StartUp NY to consider as well.

Just a thought...
Another thing that could help is that CENTRO does have a Park-N-Ride route that goes to Tully that could possibly increase its volume and perhaps Cortland Transit and/or TCAT could offer a route that could go to the facility.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:53 PM

Perhaps this area near the Aldi Distribution Center here in Tully may work: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7844...6!9m2!1b1!2i37

This is just a little bit further south of the distribution center with the town of Preble being the town in Cortland County: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7780...6!9m2!1b1!2i37

Old 09-01-2017, 07:11 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
How is it eco-friendly to rip up the best ag land in the area, remote from significant water and wastewater service on top of the Eastern Continental Divide?

This approach may be a good re-branding for this existing, and seemingly sputtering, park though: Finger Lakes East Business Park | Site Selection Online

Old 09-01-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
How is it eco-friendly to rip up the best ag land in the area, remote from significant water and wastewater service on top of the Eastern Continental Divide?

This approach may be a good re-branding for this existing, and seemingly sputtering, park though: Finger Lakes East Business Park | Site Selection Online
Nice find and that is good point, as the area in south of Syracuse still has a lot of ag activity.

Do you know exactly where that business Park is located?

Old 09-01-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Nice find and that is good point, as the area in south of Syracuse still has a lot of ag activity.

Do you know exactly where that business Park is located?
I found this: Byrne Dairy Celebrates Opening of its Yoghurt Manufacturing Plant | Byrne Dairy

Byrne Dairy buys Cortlandville's entire business park for cheese and yogurt plant | syracuse.com

So, at least the land is being used currently and for the initial rough draft in the OP, it would have to be put somewhere else.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:12 AM

Perhaps another possibility may be in Preble on either side if I-81 near the Preble exit. I believe that area is still in the Onondaga County based Tully SD, while being in the Ithaca CSA/Cortland micro area. Tully Central School District - USA.comâ„¢

Old 09-18-2017, 03:14 PM

Some of the property that I guess *was* the FLx East Business Park or possibly immediately adjoining is listed for sale along Rt 13 between Bennie Rd. and the Virgil town line. There was a sewer extension to this area.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Some of the property that I guess *was* the FLx East Business Park or possibly immediately adjoining is listed for sale along Rt 13 between Bennie Rd. and the Virgil town line. There was a sewer extension to this area.
Hmm...That may also work for that idea. Is it this piece of land?: https://www.google.com/maps/place/NY...!4d-76.2210137

Old 09-20-2017, 09:11 PM

That's one of them. Also a couple of other pieces further south/out NY 13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area