Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 08:21 AM

580 posts, read 1,177,158 times

Advertisements

Being awarded this funding would be a huge boost for the Center for Excellence; possible spin-off associated with such an endeavor would be terrific for the Midtown neighborhood and for the region as a whole.

It's also nice to see such state-wide collaboration, rather than the all-too-frequent competition among different regions. Such a regional approach can only help Syracuse's chances at winning this designation.

http://blog.syracuse.com/news/print....s_to_crea.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 09:12 AM

94,261 posts, read 125,148,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
Being awarded this funding would be a huge boost for the Center for Excellence; possible spin-off associated with such an endeavor would be terrific for the Midtown neighborhood and for the region as a whole.

It's also nice to see such state-wide collaboration, rather than the all-too-frequent competition among different regions. Such a regional approach can only help Syracuse's chances at winning this designation.

http://blog.syracuse.com/news/print....s_to_crea.html
I totally agree with the regional concept and I think that is the best way for the area to go. I think the Ceative Core website does a good job in showing the potential of the region. So, I hope the good news keeps coming.....

Old 06-25-2010, 09:56 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,632,706 times
I'll keep my fingers crossed, however I wouldn't be surprised if the funding lands in a swing state in time for the midterm elections. Many freshman congressman are politically vulnerable. I'd also like to know the 5 or so members of New York's house delegation that aren't supporting this effort. Perhaps its Charlie Rangel, Edolphus Towns, Greg Meeks, Lydia Gonzalez, and Nita Lowey.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:27 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,877,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
I'll keep my fingers crossed, however I wouldn't be surprised if the funding lands in a swing state in time for the midterm elections. Many freshman congressman are politically vulnerable. I'd also like to know the 5 or so members of New York's house delegation that aren't supporting this effort. Perhaps its Charlie Rangel, Edolphus Towns, Greg Meeks, Lydia Gonzalez, and Nita Lowey.
I concur with comments posted, but no project is going to save incumbants in November. Syracuse may have a good shot.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:45 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,632,706 times
I noticed the director of the COE stated there would be no physical expansion of the recently completed building on the former Midtown Plaza site and $130 million worth of equipment and funding for researchers would fill currently unoccupied space at the center. Do SU officials have a backup plan for the space if this grant doesn't come through? It appears that SU had a "build it and they will come" mentality when envisioning the COE as there seems to be no explanation why there is a preponderance of vacant space after nearly a decade of planning and several years of construction. Not to mention numerous construction delays and cost increases led to the reduction of one floor (or at least 10,000) square feet in the COE. Were there earlier plans to fill up the vacant space with early stage tech companies specializing indoor air quality (IAQ)? Did these plans fall through as securing venture capital needed to spawn and cultivate these ventures is next to impossible in the Syracuse metro area? SU has demonstrated once again that they are incapable of effectively planning and executing major technology projects. Aside from a small state sponsored research center called NYSTAR, a "green data" center that was largely subsidized by IBM and the Welch Allyn's tech incubator, the college has slid considerably in pioneering innovation and is not considered a university of "Very High Research" activity per the Carnegie Classification. See link here:
http://classifications.carnegiefound...page=index.php

SU's current standing as a university of "high research activity" is nothing impressive and below many of its peer institutions. In 1966, SU was added to the prestigious Association of American Universities consisting of a select group of 63 research institutions.
http://www.aau.edu/about/article.aspx?id=5476

Many of the newer members have far surpassed SU in most metrics.

Unlike Cornell in Ithaca, U of R in Rochester or even SUNY Buffalo in Western New York, SU has a very poor track record in advancing high tech research needed to propel the local economy. Launching the Biomaterials Institute, COE, and Life Sciences Complex is a good start. One only has to look at the acres of vacant land on South Campus that have sat undeveloped as plans for a much touted "Research Park" fizzled.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge proponent of SU and their contributions to the local economy. I have close family including my parents that are alumni. SU continues to have a prominent place in the intensely competitive field of higher education. Perhaps instead of squandering such a disproportionate share of resources and energy on some social justice issues that cause major distractions like the hiring of a Pagan chaplain, the school can focus more on academic research and technology transfer. Cornell has successfully achieved a nice balance between their heritage as a liberal arts institution and pioneering cutting edge research.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 06-27-2010 at 01:30 PM..

Old 06-28-2010, 04:32 PM

Energy Department grant to aid SU project

Does this have anything to do with the reseach center being discussed?

Old 06-29-2010, 07:24 AM

580 posts, read 1,177,158 times
Nah, that's a smaller-scale project. But a positive thing, for sure, in that same vein.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
Nah, that's a smaller-scale project. But a positive thing, for sure, in that same vein.
I thought it might be a first stage or something. Anyway, thanks.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:16 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,590,923 times
SU has been on a building spree since Cantor got in there. I still wonder what's going to happen when enrollment inevitably drops (due to protracted economic downturn) and they can't rustle up enough bodies to house in the new dorm (which, incidentally, reminds me of the Public Safety Building).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area