Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 04:34 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,961 times

Advertisements

Mercury is probably the most prevalent and most dangerous poison that is in ALL fish. Fresh and salt water. Albacore tuna, sold as premium and usually costs more along with sushi grade tuna are the worst mercury containing fish. Mercury is naturally occurring in ocean waters as well as streams and lakes inland and builds up in fish, the larger fish having more stores than smaller ones. The human body can expel naturally only a small amount of mercury so the metal takes up residence in the organs and is one of the few elements that is able to cross the blood-brain barrier into the brain. once it is in the brain it is almost impossible to remove through chelation.

Mercury poisoning is more prevalent than anyone knows. It causes problems with every system in the body and the problems are rarely attributed to mercury poisoning. Most doctors treat the symptoms and never bother to find the cause. Because mercury can build up in the brain many people believe it is the main cause of Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 04:48 PM

282 posts, read 1,264,247 times
I take vitamin B because my primary and my cardiologist told me to, but I don't take the vitamin pills, I go to the Dr.'s office once a month and get the shot. I'm not sure i'd take the vitamin pills. I see them and all I keep thinking about are those fruity 'vitamins' that they had when I was a kid.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:51 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
I try to eat right, and take about a dozen supplements. I really like the fish oil caps, helps with arthritic pains. Also supposed to lower cholesterol?

Old 04-07-2007, 11:13 AM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I try to eat right, and take about a dozen supplements. I really like the fish oil caps, helps with arthritic pains. Also supposed to lower cholesterol?
A dozen supplements sounds like a lot of different pills. I am no expert on the topic, my thinking is that a person eating a balanced diet that has lots of fruit, veggies, whole grains and protein sources should not need too much more in the way of supplements or pills. One multi-vitamin + mineral pill is enough for me. Fish oil pills are probably a good way of getting the benefits of the omega from fish if you don't eat fish very often. The fish oils are supposed to help blood flow and prevent arteries from getting clogged up. Don't know if it would actually lower cholesterol. Aerobic activity is a good way of lowering cholesterol (along with reducing fatty meat foods in the diet like bacon, sausage, red meat, etc) - it gets the blood flow really moving through the body.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:30 PM

The mechanism in fish oil that helps with cholesterol is the omega three fatty acids, the principle reason to take this supplement is to lower cholesterol.

Because we are all different we all NEED different supplements. Someone who has pre diabetes needs different minerals than someone who has a family history of heart disease, for example. As we get older and hormone levels decrease so do our balance of minerals in our body and the way our bodies process the minerals we take in when we eat.

Most of the food bought at the grocery store or at a restaurant contains amounts of chemical pesticides and /or preservatives that kill or displace the same nutrients that they are meant to provide.

When we drink caffeinated products or alcohol we are destroying most B vitamins in our body. Supplements are the ONLY way to replace these vitamins without overeating and causing another group of health problems caused by obesity.

Smoking....... If a person smokes or is exposed to second hand smoke they need the best supplements available as cigarettes contain more chemicals and poisons than what comes out of your car exhaust pipe.

Unfortunately it's not the old days anymore, when you could trust your local grocer to provide good, healthy food. It's all about money. Most people would rather have a boat and a pool than have optimum energy and stamina, no allergies, no cancer, no mental illness.

I agree.....exercise is just as important.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:35 AM

Good post, dennis s. Fish oil is for lowering cholesterol, also helps with arthralgias. I do what it takes to try to get my energy back, from a major surgery I had several years ago now. Thankfully, don't have any of the horrible chronic diseases that plague this nation ( due to poor diet and lack of exercise). Have found a combination of supplements which do help my energy level. Of course eating well and exercise helps, but is not enough for some people. I always prided myself on my incredible energy, even at middle age, a few years ago would go out after work and ride 30 miles, or hike 20 plus miles on the weekend. Can't do that anymore, and is very unsettling for me. So do what I can to just be able to function daily with work, etc. For me, the fish oil and DHEA have made the biggest difference.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:58 AM

thanks lilypad, DHEA that's a great youth pill for people over 40 (don't know how old you are)

Just a quick warning though. Because fish oil is from ....well ......fish, it can contain varying amounts of mercury. This may be the reason that you lack the energy you used to have. Flax seed will provide you with Omega 3fatty acids without the risk of mercury poisoning.

Unfortunately even if the oil is labeled "clean" or "purified" because they are not regulated the product most likely contains mercury.

If you choose to take fish oil everyday take a supplement of 100 to 200 mg of selenium. Selenium will bind to the mercury and guide it out of your system before it can store in your organs and cause problems.

Flaxseed is also available as an oil extract.

Stay Healthy.......Dennis s

Old 04-08-2007, 09:54 AM

Yes, a bit over 40, but not the reason for lack of energy. DHEA a precursor for the hormones. I personally think the anesthesia did me in during the surgery. Have never had a problem before. Just started taking the fish oil over past 6 months, so is NOT the cause of fatigue. I hate the thought of eating fish or fish products, but do think the fish oil helps out more with the arthralgias than flax, borage, etc. plant oils. Selenium is in several of my supplements, so think I am okay there.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:23 PM

I love my DHEA

Old 04-12-2007, 05:13 PM

341 posts, read 1,487,102 times
They have not proven E or C to be directly linked to deaths. They're concern is that being non water soluble they build up to a toxin in your body if taken in excess. Nor did they say not to take them. Food's your best source however supplements can help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements