Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 11:26 AM

2,128 posts, read 1,474,768 times

Advertisements

I take Vits and Supps because it makes me feel good about myself. And there is a chance that ... they may work. I take so many vits that I dedicate an hour and a half once a month to make packets. I make 30 packets (wrap the gobs of pills in a square of saran wrap and twist) and store on the bathroom vanity in a tupperware container.

I get kidney stones on occasion, but all my readings are in the normal range so they aren't killing me.

I add a caffiene tablet and Aleve/Tylenol for joints. I believe out of all the supps I take, the caffiene and anti inflams are the ones that do the magic.

But anyway, taking these make me feel .... like I am doing a good deed. Yes I know about the dangers of oversupplimenting, but I like to do this.

The end. Nothing more to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2022, 08:21 AM

9,209 posts, read 6,308,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
I make 30 packets (wrap the gobs of pills in a square of saran wrap and twist) and store on the bathroom vanity in a tupperware container.

The bathroom is not a good place to store meds and supplements. The heat and humidity contribute to a rapid degradation in quality and potency.

The best storage is a cool, dry place - neither the bathroom nor kitchen counter works for storage.

https://www.thehealthy.com/nutrition...s-supplements/

Old 08-06-2022, 12:00 PM

11,102 posts, read 6,702,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I can't be out in the sun due to having had a few skin cancers so I take vitamin D. My levels were said to be high enough a few years ago when I started taking more vitamin D, I noticed that the ridges and splits in my fingernails disappeared.

So I'm not sure anyone knows for sure, but I know vitamin D has some benefit for me. Just keep it within reason. I think the maximum is supposed to be around 4000 IU per day.
Same here. I´ve been told in no uncertain terms to stay out of the sun. Especially here on the equator. I am sporting a cut out carcinoma right now. So, it´s supplement Vit. D for me. That´s all I take though. Used to take a lot of supplements but no more.

Interesting about the splits in fingernails. Always had strong nails and now they are splitting left and right. Sigh. I hate old age.

Old 08-06-2022, 12:36 PM

322 posts, read 285,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I take calcium with D3 and I notice it does make a difference as I am lactose intolerant and do not drink milk.
But you can get Vitamin D from the sun.
After a certain age,taking calcium does not work ,thats why drug co recommends fosamax,bovina?/
have you looked into K2 as well with the D3?

Old 08-06-2022, 12:43 PM

322 posts, read 285,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Same here. I´ve been told in no uncertain terms to stay out of the sun. Especially here on the equator. I am sporting a cut out carcinoma right now. So, it´s supplement Vit. D for me. That´s all I take though. Used to take a lot of supplements but no more.

Interesting about the splits in fingernails. Always had strong nails and now they are splitting left and right. Sigh. I hate old age.
my gnarly skin from years of sunworship is basically letting me know to stop!

as for d3 - yes I do supplement - three types at different times: baby bella mushrooms by the ton, Cod Liver Oil and a plant based whole food D3 organic cap.

Along with the Vit k2 as Mk-7 to make sure the stuff goes where it should. With a 'fatty' meal and mighty Mg - magnesium. As well as feet pounding the ground to strengthen bones.

you would not believe the amount of supps I take while I follow the Bredesen ReCODE regimen.

I even joined a Alzheimer Prevention Trials (APT) Webstudy - wish me luck. It is my obsession NOT to get this stuff in my head.

(have a couple split nails myself and they don't look very healthy? ever since a bad "flu" bug last November)

Old 08-07-2022, 01:15 AM

19,267 posts, read 16,792,116 times
I've been taking Vitamin D3 along with K2 for over ten years. I started it because I used struggle with SAD (seasonal affect disorder) in the winter. It took several months to get the level in normal range but since then, I don't have SAD any longer. My bones are still strong at 70 but I can't say for sure that has anything to do with D3. One thing that interested me when my doctor and I discussed taking Vitamin D3. He said to make sure I was taking K2 with it to help the calcium absorb into my bones. We also discussed a study done around 2010, that there may be a link between breast cancer risk and Vitamin D deficiency. That was another good reason to take it.

I don't view Vitamin D3 as a vitamin but rather what it's been referred to and that's a steroid hormone. I can't say whether Vit D will help others but it's been very beneficial for me. I will say that if anyone is taking over 5K IU's a day, please make sure you're taking K2 (mk7) with it. Otherwise, it doesn't really absorb well.

Old 08-07-2022, 02:58 AM

7,339 posts, read 5,226,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
.... it appears that low levels of vitamin D are a result of bad health, not the cause....
:
It seems to me I've read that around here somewhere before.

Old 08-10-2022, 09:43 AM

1,975 posts, read 1,112,455 times
If you eat a healthy diet and get enough sun exposure(impossible above Tennessee) then there is less need to supplement.

On the minimal side of things, Vit D/K2 supplement might be all you need
https://www.grassrootshealth.net/doc...chart-in-ngml/

However most people are also deficient in Omega3s, Magnesium, Choline, selenium, and zinc

As you get older, B12 becomes an issue due to less stomach acid.
Collagen(or bone broth) also worth supplementing after 35 or 40.

If I had one supplement to take over others, it would be NAD+ and Resveratrol
https://renuebyscience.com/product/n...el-sublingual/
"NAD+ is an essential cofactor of key enzymes responsible for longevity genes called Sirtuins. The expression of Sirtuin genes is believed to increase cellular autophagy and maintain the cells’ epigenome—ultimately resulting in healthier, functional cells. While Resveratrol is well known for Sirtuin activation, evidence indicates it does so indirectly, whereas NAD+ directly activates sirtuins to regulate the genes of aging.

Together, NAD+ and Resveratrol work synergistically to activate Sirtuins that repair damaged DNA, boost stress resistance, reduce inflammation and promote healthy aging."

Old 08-10-2022, 10:08 AM

2,100 posts, read 1,713,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don’t think your body can tell the difference between most vitamins and minerals delivered in pill form and those that come along in food. Vitamin D may be an exception because it is optimally formed in the skin from sunshine and not consumed at all. Apart from that, vitamin C is vitamin C, zinc is zinc, and so forth.

But if you mean getting vitamins and minerals in food is superior to taking pills because food provides many other benefits (calories, fiber, micronutrients, etc.) then of course I agree with you.

That's not quite true. There are some foods that provide vitamin D, salmon would be one.

Old 08-10-2022, 11:36 AM

37,216 posts, read 41,436,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
That's not quite true. There are some foods that provide vitamin D, salmon would be one.
More foods and general vit D info here:

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/vitamin-d

It is possible to measure vitamin D in blood and use the level to guide supplementation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements