Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 05:01 PM

652 posts, read 520,290 times

Advertisements

I've been taking Vitamin D and I recently added Vitamin C to my regimen. I wonder if Vitamin C is necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2021, 05:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
I've been taking Vitamin D and I recently added Vitamin C to my regimen. I wonder if Vitamin C is necessary.
It's inexpensive, and if you take more than your body uses, your body just gets rid of it. Plus - this:
Quote:
Vitamin C is perhaps the most popular supplement taken to protect against infection due to its important role in immune health.

This vitamin supports the function of various immune cells and enhances their ability to protect against infection. It’s also necessary for cellular death, which helps keep your immune system healthy by clearing out old cells and replacing them with new ones.

Vitamin C also functions as a powerful antioxidant, protecting against damage induced by oxidative stress, which occurs with the accumulation of reactive molecules known as free radicals.

Oxidative stress can negatively affect immune health and is linked to numerous diseases.

Supplementing with vitamin C has been shown to reduce the duration and severity of upper respiratory tract infections, including the common cold.

A large review of 29 studies in 11,306 people demonstrated that regularly supplementing with vitamin C at an average dose of 1–2 grams per day reduced the duration of colds by 8% in adults and 14% in children.

Interestingly, the review also demonstrated that regularly taking vitamin C supplements reduced common cold occurrence in individuals under high physical stress, including marathon runners and soldiers, by up to 50%.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...s#3.-Vitamin-C

Are you taking a multivitamin? Zinc? Anything else?

For years all I took was a multivitamin and extra vitamin C. (Now I take more supplements because I am older and have had a pretty catastrophic injury which really put a whoopin' on me so to speak.) Anyway, I haven't been sick with anything in years either. I take that back - about a year and a half ago I thought I was, for the first time in forever, coming down with a cold - I had a low grade fever and a stopped up nose and sore throat. For less than 3 days. Now - prior to taking the vitamin C, every single time I got a cold, it lasted ten days no matter what. Whatever this was, it was gone by the third day.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:43 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,354,061 times
Vitamin C is necessary and essential. It is required for the manufacture of white blood cells. It is a potent anti-viral. Do the research and you will see the evidence. A doctor in the 1940's used it to cure polio patients.

I have been taking vitamin C and zinc since the start of the pandemic. I have almost gotten sick 4 times, and each time I raised my intake of C and zinc and squashed the bug before it could get a foothold.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:45 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
What you should take depends on the status of your health, your diet and lifestyle.

My nutrient requirements are pretty well covered by my diet. But, like noodlecat above, if I develop a symptom like a scratchy throat, I'll take a dose of zinc and vitamin C but this rarely happens. I get good sleep and physical activity which also support immunity. Too little of those, or too much stress, weakens immunity.

I don't take a vitamin D supplement because I have a good level from including D foods such as fish, eggs, mushrooms, etc., in my diet. These foods also include the appropriate ratios of omega 3 fatty acids, A and selenium which also support immunity. I get adequate zinc, and also K2. I do have a D3 supplement on hand that I would take if a symptom persisted after a dose of C and zinc.

If I had a chronic illness (such as asthma, diabetes, cancer, heart disease, autoimmune, mood disorder, etc.), or a history of susceptibility to illness, chances are I would need to supplement with one or more of those nutrients. Most elderly Americans have one or more chronic condition, and many younger ones too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's inexpensive, and if you take more than your body uses, your body just gets rid of it.
Not entirely. Taking excess C long-term can lead to too much oxalate buildup in organs and tissues. It can lead to kidney stones and potentially other health issues. It can also lead to too much iron which can cause damage to the liver, heart, pancreas, thyroid and central nervous system. Too much of anything is bad for us.

Old 02-10-2021, 11:41 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
Congrats to all of you that get everything you need through your diets. We're not all that perfect. I use this:

Elderberry 300mg (per serving) + Vitamin C & Zinc - Airborne Gummies

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and love it! When I get a cold it turns out to be very mild and resolves very quickly, and I give these credit.

Old 02-10-2021, 11:21 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,099,936 times
From Thomas Levy if sick
Quote:
recommends taking 2 to 3 grams, three or four times a day, for this purpose.
If not sick, take 500mg twice daily, preferably time release

Official protocol from FLCC(not the govt, Front line doctors)

PROPHYLAXIS PROTOCOL
lvermectin1 Prophylaxis for high risk individuals
0.2 mg/kg* per dose — one dose today, 2nd dose in48 hours, then one dose every 2 weeks
Post COVID-19 exposure prophylaxis 0.2 mg/kg* per dose— one dose today, 2nd dose in 48 hours
Vitamin D3 1,000–3,000 IU/day
Vitamin C 1,000mg twice a day
Quercetin 250mg/day
Zinc 50mg/day
Melatonin 6mg before bedtime (causes drowsiness)

Old 02-11-2021, 11:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post

Not entirely. Taking excess C long-term can lead to too much oxalate buildup in organs and tissues. It can lead to kidney stones and potentially other health issues. It can also lead to too much iron which can cause damage to the liver, heart, pancreas, thyroid and central nervous system. Too much of anything is bad for us.
Since our bodies do not make or store Vitamin C, you CAN ingest too much of it but it's very unlikely. At least it's very unlikely according to the Mayo Clinic.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...20daily,Nausea

I'm not advocating overdosing on it (which would be difficult) but I'm saying we need it and for the vast majority of those people taking it, if they take too much, their body just gets rid of it. It's important to get enough vitamin C.

Old 02-11-2021, 03:27 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Since our bodies do not make or store Vitamin C, you CAN ingest too much of it but it's very unlikely. At least it's very unlikely according to the Mayo Clinic.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...20daily,Nausea
What it says is that "too much dietary vitamin C is unlikely to be harmful." Meaning from foods in one's diet. Too much from supplements can be harmful.

It also says, "Remember, for most people, a healthy diet provides an adequate amount of vitamin C."

As I said, it depends on one's diet as to whether or not it should be taken. Many people are surprised at the number of foods that contain vitamin C. A healthy diet would include a few of them, at least.

Quote:
I'm not advocating overdosing on it (which would be difficult) but I'm saying we need it and for the vast majority of those people taking it, if they take too much, their body just gets rid of it. It's important to get enough vitamin C.
I didn't think you were advocating overdosing but we have no idea how much vitamin C the OP gets in his diet. Taking a supplement in an amount that exceeds what the body needs over time can cause the buildups I mentioned before. Also, taking more supplements than the body needs is linked to increased risk of cancer.

Old 02-12-2021, 07:32 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times
Reminder: nothing that you can buy OTC will "boost" your immune system.
At best, it will support your immune system.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:19 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,099,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Reminder: nothing that you can buy OTC will "boost" your immune system.
At best, it will support your immune system.
Boost/optimize/support? Seems nit picky

Some options mentioned in this webpage discuss increasing NK activity, boost maybe isnt the best word, but im ok with it. Its also the word they chose to use though.

Standard options for NK
probiotics, vitamin C, sea cucumber extract, blueberry, black pepper, moderate exercise

If no autoimmune issues(discussed in the link), boost NK activity with
-mushroom extract, AHCC, modified rice

Surprising the article doesnt mention vitamin D, need around 40ng/ml to get the most out of your immunity. No selenium either, but standard multivitamin will take care of that.

So FLCC protocol + mushroom extract + source selenium is pretty good. I would dramatically increase C if I had symptoms as Levy mentions.
so how to do this?
-multivitamin like naturelo(800-1000IU of D, 10-15mg zinc, b vitamins, selenium)
-extra vitamin D/k2 3000-4000IU supplement - take with meal, needs a little fat to absorb
-extra zinc/copper from jarrow. I think 50 is too high, aim for 20-25. Take at a different meal than multi.
-vitamin C powder lets you dose however you want. Quali C from doctors best is very good.
-mushroom extract(i use plnt, Host Defense is really good)
-doctors best quercetin/bromelain(bromelain helps quercetin uptake, they are sold together, bromelain also anti-viral), take on empty stomach, ok to take with C.
-time release melatonin at night
-ivermectin if high risk, start immediately if symptoms.

If poor diet
Add magnesium at different meal than multi, or can be taken on empty stomach.
Try to get some fatty fish or fish oil.

The reason you cant overdose on C is because the body stops absorbing it which results in diarrhea. Mayo clinic and other sites try to pass this off as some terrible side effect. It just means you need to back off some.

However once your white blood cell count rises, your body will allow you to absorb crazy amounts. Just need to cut back on the sugar as you need insulin to take up the vitamin C.

Last edited by Rom623; 02-12-2021 at 08:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements