Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 02:54 PM

40 posts, read 316,178 times

Advertisements

My wife fell on the stairs about 1 month ago and twisted her knee. Now she has full range of motion, but she still experiences a lot of pain. Does anyone have any advice?

I'm thinking about glucosamine and perhaps a omega-3 supplement. Any other options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 06:15 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Monavie and see if it helps her!

Old 02-26-2008, 08:41 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,786 times
Glucosamine and MSM are good supplements to start with. They are fairly inexpensive. There really are no side effects although some people have expressed some concerns about Diabetes and Glucosamine. If your wife is Diabetic keep and eye on her blood sugar at first.

Omega-3s are good too. I would take a Essential Fatty Acid supplement that contains an array of Omega 3,6,9. They do have some anti-inflammatory properties but Glucosamine and MSM are really the supplements to start with.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:22 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
All the MSM and other pills aren't going to do her one whit of good if she fell hard enough to cause real damage. She needs an x-ray or maybe an MRI to see if there is any damage.

Once you have determined that there isn't significant damage then you can take the recommendations that the others have mentioned.

I know because I have had two surgeries on my right knee.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:35 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
All the MSM and other pills aren't going to do her one whit of good if she fell hard enough to cause real damage. She needs an x-ray or maybe an MRI to see if there is any damage.

Once you have determined that there isn't significant damage then you can take the recommendations that the others have mentioned.
Great advice. You can start the supplements and they might help the pain even if there is damage but go to the doctor and make sure there isn't something there that is going to need surgery.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:57 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times
DMSO is what one of the posters here suggested I use when I had a pain in one of my knees. It can be found at a feed and grain store. It helps with the inflammation. (Works better than aspercreme and ben gay)
Glucosamine helps also but takes a few weeks to kick in.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:09 AM

4 posts, read 24,269 times
jhlcomp is correct. Chances are your wife has damaged a tendon or ligament. While I think Glucosamine is an amazing supplement for osteoarthritis, it has little effect on muscle, tendon or ligament damage. A company called Enzymatic Therapy has a product called Myo-Tone which I have used in the past. It works very well for muscle, tendon and ligament damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements