Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2014, 05:46 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,046,411 times

Advertisements

What brand do you all take~? I just picked some up from Whole Foods. I like the Country Life Brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 05:59 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
The one with the most active bacteria and the best date...Kyodophilus came highly recommended.

But, I'm into making super kefir now...it has way more diff bacteria than acidophilus.
I don't know where you would get the culture, tho...prob Whole Foods...use Goa's milk, tho...if you
dont it separates and is watery.There are amazingly good tasting Goat's milk out there...who knew.
I got the culture from a friend...you end up with alot that you can share.

It cured her of decades of diarreha, btw.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:24 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,046,411 times
I haven't taken any Acidophilus in perhaps 30 years and thought I needed to get back on track. I do eat yogurt but not on a daily basis. I forgot what brand I took way back when. The one I got calls to take it with food twice a day. What I took years ago required one capsule without food. Is there a difference~?

Old 09-14-2014, 08:49 AM

633 posts, read 1,949,756 times
I started taking acidophius many years ago after a trip to mexico. Learning about probiotic I realized there is more then just 1 type in our body. I started to take a variety of probiotics, I like PB-8 and I also eat fresh sauerkraut, yoguart. I do stay away from activia because of trerrible GI effects from it. The body has many different uses for probiotics and there are many so again I feel a good variety of microbes (probiotic) is the way to go.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:39 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
I used to take it but prefer a broader range of probiotics - I personally like one called "Femflora" made for women. I buy it online from Swanson.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:40 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I used to take it but prefer a broader range of probiotics - I
personally like one called "Femflora" made for women.
I buy it online from Swanson.
My neighbor just told me she gives that to one of her kitties!
What were the chances I'd hear that AGAIN!

Old 11-08-2014, 12:45 AM

124 posts, read 211,761 times
I prefer cultured foods such as kefirs, cultured vegetables, miso, tempeh, etc. There are literally thousands of strains of beneficial acid forming bacteria than inhabit our bodies. Only supplementing with one of thousands of strains never made much sense to me.

And don't forget you need to feed these beneficial bacteria with fibers.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:53 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,159,764 times
Agreed, Hvera. Some of them seem to have very different effects on different people. Kefir gave me unpleasant results, but I don't remember details. I've been doing a bit with Bragg's unpasteurized apple cider vinegar (actually I bought it originally to make the bait fruit fly traps for an infestation). I'd say it's mildly beneficial internally, but it's quite good applied topically to a yeast problem.

There are a zillion types of acidophilus, one needs to be more specific.

Old 04-11-2024, 01:03 PM

422 posts, read 281,461 times
What brand is good to take? The one I was taking is no longer available in Megafoods. Is there another choice that you find is good too?

Old Today, 03:21 PM

309 posts, read 366,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetiredone View Post
What brand is good to take? The one I was taking is no longer available in Megafoods. Is there another choice that you find is good too?
Jarrow, Flora or Renew Life brands would be good alternatives. They won't have just-acidophilous alone but that one strain will, of course, be one of the many included in the blend since it's the one most abundant in the human body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements