Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2023, 10:26 PM

468 posts, read 475,099 times

Advertisements

Dude you live in DFW you don't needa subie.. I luved almost killin myself every winter when i drove my subie around the snow covered hills in CT.. But hell nah I aint buyin one in Dallas, no snow, no thrill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2023, 10:13 AM

3,180 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Subarus are mostly for snow belt states, no reason for someone living in sunbelt to get a Subaru unless you're going for a BRZ or WRX for performance.

Old 05-22-2023, 11:36 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Subarus are mostly for snow belt states, no reason for someone living in sunbelt to get a Subaru unless you're going for a BRZ or WRX for performance.
With the Boxer Engine and low center of gravity, they offer better handling and cornering in any bad weather condition, that includes very rainy locations.

Old 05-22-2023, 11:50 AM

971 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I've got a Honda Civic that has been a great car and still has many years of use left on it but it is starting to feel a bit small, especially when I go on road trips or camping.

I've been thinking of getting a small SUV/CUV and looked at the Mazda CX-5 but the storage space in the back is minimal. This brought me to Subaru. I like the non-SUV styling of the Subaru Forester and Outback. I've read that Subarus are more finnicky than Hondas and Toyotas and won't have the same reliability.

What do you think about Subarus? Would you pick the Forester or the Outback?
I think Subaraus are more reliable than any car on the road nowadays. The problem is if you need servicing you pay way too much at the dealers (which is true for any brand). In Albuquerque there are two different Subaru only shops but in some cities you might not be able to find a non-dealer shop that can maintain a Subaru.

As for the storage space, I am not sure. I drive an XTerra because it was the only medium SUV that I could fit the dog crate in the back. It does not have quite the same space as my old Jeep Cheroke did (they make them different now and don't have a lot of space in back). Maybe you could take your camping gear with you when you look at them and see if you can fit everything in that you want.

Old 05-22-2023, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter5457 View Post
Dude you live in DFW you don't needa subie.. I luved almost killin myself every winter when i drove my subie around the snow covered hills in CT.. But hell nah I aint buyin one in Dallas, no snow, no thrill.
Just because you live in DFW doesn't mean you can't take road trips. I lived in DFW area for years and took a lot of road trips. There are a lot of fun places to camp in west Texas.

Old 05-22-2023, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I currently drive a 2019 Forester. I owned 5 Hondas in the past that I also bought new. I have had three issues with my Forester - in the first 2 months, the windshield cracked - as near as I could tell, spontaneously while sitting at a relative's house during a visit there. I am not sure, but I think it wasn't installed correctly and was stressed, and then with rapidly changing temperatures that day, got more stressed, and just cracked. I did get it replaced with OEM-spec glass at a local windshield glass shop, and have had no further issues.

The other things are both tech stack - the Apple CarPlay connection has just not worked after maybe the first 2 years. I have not actually taken it in to the dealer to have them look at that, so maybe that's as much on me as them.

Finally, the voice recognition on the factory navigation system is crap, and doesn't recognize when I say place names - I need to key them in.

I don't feel that it's quite as trouble free as my Hondas were, but on balance, I still like the car a lot. It's very practical, drives well and has good cargo and passenger space, gets decent mpgs, has excellent outward visibility, excellent crash test scores, the Eyesight system is a nice ADAS system that has performed well in independent testing, and I appreciate the extra clearance and the AWD system. The low engine position and flat layout of the "boxer" engine isn't convenient for head service if that's necessary, but it does give a lower center of gravity that you can feel in cornering - Subaru giveth and Subaru taketh away. I don't think it'd be a mistake to get a CRV mind you - that's also a great vehicle and not so different from the Forester (or the RAV4). But I haven't regretted getting the Forester.
Wow. Those second two problems don't even have anything to do with what we use a car for, getting from place to place. I have an old ford f100 I will be rebuilding and I am not putting any computerized anything in it.

Old 05-22-2023, 11:59 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
Regardless of what they have to offer, I could never bring myself to owning another Subaru due to the stereotype, lol.

Old 05-22-2023, 12:04 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Regardless of what they have to offer, I could never bring myself to owning another Subaru due to the stereotype, lol.
I bought a used 2016 Forester because it was one of the cheapest cars I could find that had AWD, fuel efficient, and could handle driving steep narrow two lane roads in bad weather.

Old 05-22-2023, 12:06 PM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I bought a used 2016 Forester because it was one of the cheapest cars I could find that had AWD, fuel efficient, and could handle driving steep narrow two lane roads in bad weather.
I bought a brand new Legacy in 2009 and I agree that it was great in the snow!

Old 05-22-2023, 12:29 PM

537 posts, read 443,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I've got a Honda Civic that has been a great car and still has many years of use left on it but it is starting to feel a bit small, especially when I go on road trips or camping.

I've been thinking of getting a small SUV/CUV and looked at the Mazda CX-5 but the storage space in the back is minimal. This brought me to Subaru. I like the non-SUV styling of the Subaru Forester and Outback. I've read that Subarus are more finnicky than Hondas and Toyotas and won't have the same reliability.

What do you think about Subarus? Would you pick the Forester or the Outback?
There are many very pleased Subaru owners. But they're still a second tier automaker, and they just don't have the financial resources of a Honda or Toyota.

If you go on road trips and camp the CX-6 Mazda would be a good choice. But a better choice would be RAV-4 Hybrid or Venza with the same room, incredible durability and 40 mpg economy. A CR-V Honda is another good choice.

If you're happy with the Civic, another alternative would be a new Honda Accord--a completely new generation model just arrived. We previously had a 49.5 mpg Camry Hybrid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru