Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2023, 04:46 AM

244 posts, read 714,489 times

Advertisements

Having convinced myself that the 2023 Outback Wilderness was the car for me, I set forth on my quest to buy one. I had already taken in all of the Internet forum accounts of fellow shoppers coughing up MSRP to grab one of the few available cars off the dealer lot before the next wild-eyed purchaser came along to snatch it from beneath them. I was determined to do better than that via research and via closely monitoring the inventory and pricing within a 100 mile radius of my hometown.

Availability at local metro-area dealers varied from a few to none regardless of location. Most "available" cars posted were actually in transit. Most in-stock Outbacks are either white or silver which I did not want. No dealers in the metro area had posted prices lower than MSRP. I stopped in at one near my office and was eventually and grudgingly offered $750 below MSRP on an in-stock Wilderness. I did not take this enticing offer.

The only dealers within 100 miles that had inventory and posted prices below MSRP were in the adjacent state so I decided to take a ride. One dealer closer to home had only one Wilderness available but was offering it at close to $3,000 below MSRP. Another dealer one hour farther out had 10 on the lot but was discounting them $500 less than dealer #1. I decided to visit dealer #2 1st since they had more stock including the color that I wanted. I made contacts with sales staff at both dealers before I set out on my trip and had them confirm that morning that the cars that interested me were still available for purchase before I left home.

I mentioned the larger discount at dealer #1 to the salesperson at dealer #2 and they immediately offered to match it. I had a trade and they asked me what I wanted for it. I had researched that too and gave them my number, which they also agreed to pay without quibbling about it. We shook hands on the deal in less than 20 minutes. There were no dealer add-ins apart from a reasonable doc fee although I did have to politely decline the usual spiel for added warranties, paint sealer, etc. At least they weren't pushy about it.

It was probably the quickest and most pleasant car-buying experience that I have had in 40 years of enduring this periodic ordeal. You can beat a market that is stacked against you with some extra work, knowledge and flexibility. I am looking forward to getting to know my new Outback Wilderness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2023, 09:57 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,854,050 times
It is reassuring to know that you were able to get a new car bellow MSRP. Things are getting better. I see more offers on Subaru and Mazda. Honda and Toyota's are still hot and most dealers here in Southern CA demand more than MSRP/have add ons. It is even worse for the hybrids and plug-in versions. We need a new car but are waiting it out for now.

Old 01-30-2023, 03:33 AM

244 posts, read 714,489 times
A friend of mine went Honda CRV shopping in Virginia Beach last month and the dealer wanted $10,000 over sticker. Shame on them.

Old 01-30-2023, 03:40 AM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBND View Post
A friend of mine went Honda CRV shopping in Virginia Beach last month and the dealer wanted $10,000 over sticker. Shame on them.
it isnt the dealers .

my son owns a company.

where they typically have 200 to 300 cars available on their lots all they have is 30-40 cars now . a few cars trickle in as they sell some but not enough to be sustainable longer term

the business nut hasnt changed , all the expenses are the same and those expenses have to be covered with a fraction of the cars they had to cover those same expenses,

most leases are just being extended out because of the situation and not replaced now . the manufacturers just dont have the chips to ship more vehicles

Old 02-05-2023, 10:46 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
I’m getting emails for 2023 Outbacks at $3,500 below sticker in metro Boston.

My brother in law had his 2022 Outback Wilderness XT out in the British Columbia bush last summer. He had a Land Cruiser for a bunch of years followed by a 4Runner. He was pleased with the off road performance. I have a Touring XT. I never off road and the boat ramp with 3,500 pounds of boat & trailer is it for me. I saw no point in paying the fuel economy penalty for the extra ground clearance. My brother in law used to have a 6-cylinder 2018. His biggest complaint about the Wilderness XT was losing the integral crossbars. He had to buy crossbars for the rack. My integral crossbars are pretty much identical to my old 2015 6-cylinder. The ski box works equally well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru