Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2021, 09:03 AM

35,231 posts, read 31,587,269 times

Advertisements

It's getting to be the time of year for watersports, and I am looking for an inexpensive set of crossbars/kayak rack for my 2020 Forester. It has the factory installed roof rails. Thule/Yakima would be more expensive than my kayak. It's not something I'm going to use all that often, so don't want to put tons of money into it.

What are my options in the value space here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2021, 09:18 AM

3,324 posts, read 1,808,726 times
Yakima or bust. Cry once. Yakima comes with round crossbars, which are stronger than square Thule bars and align without stress, unlike Thule. Yakima dealers will change over mounts for additional toys at no charge, or at least they did before I wound up in a wheelchair. I've used Yakima racks for bicycles, a canoe and Nordic & Alpine skis. I highly recommend Yakima.

Old 05-21-2021, 11:47 AM

35,231 posts, read 31,587,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Yakima or bust. Cry once. Yakima comes with round crossbars, which are stronger than square Thule bars and align without stress, unlike Thule. Yakima dealers will change over mounts for additional toys at no charge, or at least they did before I wound up in a wheelchair. I've used Yakima racks for bicycles, a canoe and Nordic & Alpine skis. I highly recommend Yakima.
I'm looking at close to $500 for the crossbars and all the associated mounting gear before I even get to the kayak rack. That's my concern - I probably wouldn't be using these more than five to ten times per year, and it would be short trips largely (<30 miles roundtrip to the nearest lake). It just seems like a lot of money to put into something that is essentially an accessory that won't be used often.

Old 05-22-2021, 08:57 PM

22,010 posts, read 25,372,125 times
Could always do what I used to. Get a couple buddies. Stick one in the passenger from an the other in the driver rear and roll the windows down. Scratches up the roof a bit. For a less hold my beer solution, closed cell foam and some rope to tie it down works okay. I wouldn't say well but it's maybe 30 bucks so there's that.

Old 05-23-2021, 03:56 AM

12,700 posts, read 9,883,879 times
For a single kayak, the cheapest thing is crossbars with a matching foam kayak carrier. For dual kayaks, you need matching J-carriers to tilt them up and save space. Take a look at the many options at etrailer.com, and you can always contact them for advice on your application (number of kayaks + kayak dimensions).

https://www.etrailer.com/roof-2020_Subaru_Forester.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru