Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 06:24 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,618,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
Well, I'm having trouble with what I should do here. I have a 2011 Subaru Outback which has developed a slow external oil leak from the driver's side head gasket. It's been going on for about 5 or 6 months now and I haven't lost any oil and just a bit of coolant here and there. No overheating. I've got a discount at a local Subaru dealer that will make the gasket job about $1400 including the trip for the heads to the machine shop.

My dilemma is whether I should follow through with the job or just get a different vehicle. The car has 114k miles and I just did the timing belt job about 20k miles ago and put new tires on a couple months back. I like the vehicle, but I just wonder if trading it toward a newer vehicle would be a better idea. Of course the $1400 is a fraction of the vehicle's present value. I'm leaning towards the repair and keeping the car. What do you think?
You should do the repair whether you are keeping the vehicle long-term or not, since it will allow a fair-priced resale. Do the repair, and then drive it until there is a good reason to replace it (whatever that may end up being).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 06:52 AM

723 posts, read 572,589 times
I had the head gasket fail on my 2006 Forester a few years ago. I was having to refill oil frequently, and I had developed a small oil stain on my garage floor.

Internet research showed that leaky head gaskets were a known issue with my model year, so I politely called Subaru's customer service folks and asked for some assistance. I told them I was delighted with my car and planned to keep it for a long time, that it had only something like 135K miles on it at the time, and that I really couldn't afford the $1300 repair quoted by the local Subaru dealership.

After confirming my story with the dealer's service manager, Subaru offered a $500 credit against the repair bill, payable directly to the shop. I was very happy to fix the problem for $800 after this credit was applied.

So you may want to contact Subaru to see if they can do something similar for you.

Just remember to be super friendly when you call. :-)

Old 05-30-2018, 11:38 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,954,228 times
In 2013, my '99 Forester (about 170K) needed a head gasket job. Unfortunately, it also needed a transmission job, and there was something wrong with the power steering system.

Were it just the head gasket, I would have gone ahead and paid the $1700 or whatever it was. But three major repairs and we're talking $5K or $6K. Even the repair shop (part of a dealership) said, forget it!

Too bad because I loved that car. Handled so well, lots of cargo space, well designed interior. But after it hit the 10-year mark, as with so many Subarus, it began to die. We traded it for a Toyota Prius V.

Just make sure the head gasket is all that's wrong with your Subie, or else you will end up kicking yourself a few months from now when the next major system fails.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:13 PM

23,369 posts, read 18,981,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Just make sure the head gasket is all that's wrong with your Subie, or else you will end up kicking yourself a few months from now when the next major system fails.
Which is why, when the my gasket failed I did some reading, checked with other owners as well as the shop about other wear part replacement work that could be done while the engine was stripped down to the block. Less expensive to replace these parts at one time rather than put it in the shop 2-3 times later for things that were fairly predictable. I planned to keep the car a long time so they would come up eventually. While the gasket was more than ready to be replaced, there was no head damage, the timing belt was worn, but not horrible, belts, hoses, etc. made sense.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:50 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,906,669 times
Head gasket failure is common on the Boxer engine. Just replace it. It is simply a maintenance item like changing cleaning or replacing the injectors after a while. If you get to the third head gasket replacement, then you may want to consider replacing the car.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:53 PM

90 posts, read 84,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Which is why, when the my gasket failed I did some reading, checked with other owners as well as the shop about other wear part replacement work that could be done while the engine was stripped down to the block. Less expensive to replace these parts at one time rather than put it in the shop 2-3 times later for things that were fairly predictable. I planned to keep the car a long time so they would come up eventually. While the gasket was more than ready to be replaced, there was no head damage, the timing belt was worn, but not horrible, belts, hoses, etc. made sense.
Same here...if I remember right I also did the water pump and timing belt.

Still have the original clutch, now at 142K miles.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:19 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,208,442 times
This all sounds reminiscent of the Subarus from the 80's. The timing belt would fail and they would replace the oil pump and water pump as well while the engine was apart. Surprising that the same is true 20-25 year later. I would expect more out of a vehicle. With so few miles, the head gasket, timing belt, and the other parts noted should not be failing. These are major, expensive repairs.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:44 AM

723 posts, read 572,589 times
Fortunately, I have not had these experiences with my 2006 Forester. I'm at 155,000 miles or thereabouts.

In addition to tires, windshield wipers, and oil changes, I have only had to replace the head gasket (as described above), the battery, and the alternator. And brakes, I'm pretty sure. I think the belts were replaced at one of the major service intervals. At my last oil change, they put in a new lightbulb over the rear license plate. I also wore completely through the rubber thing that goes on the end of the clutch pedal ($6).

Admittedly, I have been driving around for the last 9 months with a messed up left front headlamp. The seal has failed, so the lens is full of condensation, and replacement bulbs fail within days. I have tried evaporating the moisture with my heat gun, but that's been a temporary fix at best. Two local dealerships have quoted just over $500 for the repair (the Subaru headlamp alone is $350, plus you have to take out the battery to access it). Because the car's only worth about $3500 at this point, I am reluctant to spend so much on a stupid light. I figure with all the other little lights along the front (running, fog and whatever), I won't be mistaken as a motorcycle coming at you in the dark. And I don't do much night driving anyway.

My son reminds me that the ticket I'm going to get will make the $500 repair seem the lesser of two evils. But I am hoping for a warning the first time I get pulled over. "Thank you, officer. I had no idea my headlight wasn't working."

My car is 12 years old, and I honestly hope to keep it another 5 years at least.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:25 AM

3,976 posts, read 5,176,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
This all sounds reminiscent of the Subarus from the 80's. The timing belt would fail and they would replace the oil pump and water pump as well while the engine was apart. Surprising that the same is true 20-25 year later. I would expect more out of a vehicle. With so few miles, the head gasket, timing belt, and the other parts noted should not be failing. These are major, expensive repairs.
Timing belts usually get replaced around 50-60,000 miles, it's in the owners manual. If it fails while your driving, you'll need a new engine.
As for replacing the water pump at the same time, it's easy to do when you have the engine apart to change the timing belt since the belt drives the pump. The oil pump is a different story. That requires dropping the oil pan, which usually means dropping the front end assembly to access it.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,763 posts, read 58,180,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
Fortunately, I have not had these experiences with my 2006 Forester. I'm at 155,000 miles or thereabouts.
Admittedly, I have been driving around for the last 9 months with a messed up left front headlamp. The seal has failed, so the lens is full of condensation, and replacement bulbs fail within days. I have tried evaporating the moisture with my heat gun, but that's been a temporary fix at best. Two local dealerships have quoted just over $500 for the repair (the Subaru headlamp alone is $350, plus you have to take out the battery to access it). ...
My car is 12 years old, and I honestly hope to keep it another 5 years at least.
you have low miles and 5 yrs remaining, so... consider spending the $$ to fix the lamp. I see the complete assemblies are $140 on eBay, or $240 for both (L&R). You can also get 'used' from a wrecking yard, but may require a $40 'defog' and still not match.

Since it is a 'safety' issue, and will help your resale... I would opt for a new pair and find a mobile mechanic / fixit man to replace ~ $40 - $60 for both (there are youtube videos on instructions). Consider driving it 1000+ more times... very worthwhile for better visibility to yourself and others. (We want YOU safe! and your car not getting CRUNCHED). Ironically I bought a new set for my $800 minivan and the next day a deer was so impressed they smashed them BOTH out,,, (I bought another set,,, and a new grill / bumper / hood...) BUT I will drive that vehicle till death (My death or it's death)

Enjoy your subie, keep it happy, be safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru