Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 09:02 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,897,936 times

Advertisements

My '08 Outback just had one of the low-beam headlights burn out. Do you think I should replace BOTH low-beam lights, or just the one that burned out? (figuring that if one burned out, then the other is probably living on borrowed time...)

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 09:08 AM

968 posts, read 2,629,718 times
if you have the time, go for it.

I have 8 incandescent tail lights on my audi a3 (who's idea was that?!) and as soon as one went out i replaced it, then 4 others followed suit so i ended up replacing all of them. I don't look forward to doing that again and would just as soon get LED tail lights so i don't have to think about it again.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:18 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,165,912 times
Since they only take a minute to replace and you can do it yourself, I wouldn't bother. Just buy two, and keep the other for when you need it. Pay extra for quality name-brand bulbs, which are a lot brighter and worth the extra couple of bucks.

High beam and low beam should be the same bulb, as I recall, with dual filaments.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:32 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,373,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Since they only take a minute to replace and you can do it yourself, I wouldn't bother. Just buy two, and keep the other for when you need it. Pay extra for quality name-brand bulbs, which are a lot brighter and worth the extra couple of bucks.

High beam and low beam should be the same bulb, as I recall, with dual filaments.
Not on an 08 Outback.

I'd buy a set of two (cheaper in a set, usually) from a good brand name, then switch out the other when it goes. No point in tossing money in the wind if it'll last longer.

I'd urge you to buy from Car Bulbs, Headlight Bulbs, Xenon Bulbs from Philips and Osram, Philips Xtreme Power, Osram NightBreaker globes - Powerbulbs. , they're UK based, but they ship worldwide at no cost, and I've yet to see anyone who can match their price on quality items. You usually get some park light bulbs with your purchase as well, which is nice.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:35 PM

17,234 posts, read 57,214,925 times
Typically when one bulb in a pair goes out the other one is not far behind it. Depending on how you use the car, and considering you are about to go into Alaska Winter, you may want to do both now.

If it's not a big deal for you to change the bulb later, you could wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru