Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 12:13 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,188,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrazzle View Post
Chicago just as racist or more? Sorry no.

St. Louis has a major racial problem. I don't know if white people are racist there, but everytime i've been there the black people i've met are extremely racist towards white people.

If this wasn't the general consensus from most visitors based on what they have seen, then no one would even make a post like this....
Dude......Chicago is just as racially polarizing as St. Louis. I must say that Chicago is an uber-progressive city with many liberals and has found a way to reinvent itself in recent years (definitely the makings of a world class city ), but it still suffers from the same old rust belt styled racial tensions that Detroit, Cleveland, and yes St. Louis displays so vividly. Having been to Chicago many times and having recent trips to New York and Los Angeles, I most say these 3 cities are noticeably more diverse than any other cities in the United States, but far from being the shining examples of racial/social harmoniy they are made out to be. In fact these cities have the largest and most segregated urban ethnic ghettos in the country and it is not hard to find a racist on any side of the racial spectrum. Like I've said before......racial prejudice is an American problem and through my travels I've actually found the "New" South (Atlanta, Florida cities, North Carolina cities, Texas cities) to be more racially harmonous and than any city North of the Mason-Dixon Line including Chicago and New York. By the way.... I'll also add that some of the most racist people can be found in urban areas, regardless of race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 10:31 PM

48 posts, read 150,533 times
This thread is getting edited more than a PBS episode of The Sopranos *cheesy joke drum*

Old 10-15-2008, 08:39 PM

5 posts, read 10,619 times
as an artist I am attracted to the history and legacy of STL I would love to relocate from Miami to STL... I love the architecture and since I am older I could care less for clubs.. if anything I would enjoy a simple lunch or dinner at a good place.. There are no jobs anywhere in America right now.. I am a part time teacher at a college in miami and I dont even get hired to work at pottery barn or hollinger's.... so you all think is just as bad in STL....???

Old 10-15-2008, 08:54 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,861,991 times
I'm not an expert on the economy, but it seems like it is bad everywhere.

St. Louis has quite a few colleges, but I don't know if any are hiring.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:17 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,687,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art4all View Post
as an artist I am attracted to the history and legacy of STL I would love to relocate from Miami to STL... I love the architecture and since I am older I could care less for clubs.. if anything I would enjoy a simple lunch or dinner at a good place.. There are no jobs anywhere in America right now.. I am a part time teacher at a college in miami and I dont even get hired to work at pottery barn or hollinger's.... so you all think is just as bad in STL....???
I'm not well-versed in the current state of St. Louis' job market, but the housing market is one of the stronger ones in the U.S., which typically is a barometer for other aspects of the economy.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:10 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,076,647 times
I can say with some accuracy, compared to the state of Florida's economy, the STL area is booming!
Seriously looking at property to purchase within striking distance of STL, its getting a bit frightening here......

Last edited by kshe95girl; 11-01-2008 at 10:32 PM..

Old 11-02-2008, 09:40 AM

42 posts, read 136,424 times
You think St. Louis is racist. Kentucky is way worst. I am getting out of here next year. I am African American, American Indian, and French.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:29 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,599,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperad0stl View Post
Lets talk about ethnic groups...
Sure there are many of decendants of the major european groups...german, irish, italian etc...thats beautiful fine and dandy. I want something a little more...how about some brown people and people with slanted eyes. Lets see St. Louis is 2% hispanic and 1% asian and percentages of 1% for other stuff...we've already established that food culture for the most part in these groups sucks...don't get me wrong there are awesome places but what are the bulk of them? Americanized...
Im sure you can say oh yeah I saw this guy I think he was arab or something...I think I saw some Brazilian guy his name I think is Ze...
There are no strong neighborhoods for brown and yellow people and if there are the're on one street for a stretch of 2 blocks.
So scratch the prevalent diversity.
Check your facts, St. Louis is 2% Asian

Old 05-23-2009, 07:52 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,210,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Like I've said before......racial prejudice is an American problem and through my travels I've actually found the "New" South (Atlanta, Florida cities, North Carolina cities, Texas cities) to be more racially harmonous and than any city North of the Mason-Dixon Line including Chicago and New York. By the way.... I'll also add that some of the most racist people can be found in urban areas, regardless of race.
You can't have ever lived in Atlanta to say such a preposterous thing.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:20 PM

266 posts, read 465,627 times
Modcut- inappropriateRacism is everywhere. In fact, in some ways I think racism is worse in Los Angeles and other California cities than in St. Louis. The racial profiling in Los Angeles is much, much worse than in St. Louis. Also in Los Angeles not only do you have racist gangs but many Hispanics don't like Black people (which I'll never understand). We've all heard that it's harder for Black men to get a taxi in NYC and it's true. There are also neighborhoods in NYC that black people cannot drive through without conflict. People on this board don't give St. Louis enough credit for its diversity. I honestly believe that St. Louis is relative to any other major American city when it comes to racism. In other words in American cities racism exists, but the diversity of the city triumphs that and obviously major cities are less racist and more cultural than rural good ol' boy areas that offer no diversity and offer less opportunity for minorities. And then...there is the South. The precious South that is far behind St. Louis and Chicago and the North in terms of race relations.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 05-26-2009 at 01:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis