Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 04:08 PM

10,372 posts, read 6,928,549 times

Advertisements

It all depends on the time zone. I'd say it's time to hit the trail, 2 hours after sundown.

Doesn't matter where this falls during the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2024, 04:50 PM

15,573 posts, read 7,596,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Ah if you are hosting the party, I don't believe you can leave. In all my many years of having and attending SB parties most guest do leave after the game ends or shortly thereafter. If you are the host, you simply say. Well thank you for coming but we need to get cleaning and I prefer to do that when all are gone.
The line from the Blues Brothers comes to mind "You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here".

Old 02-11-2024, 06:42 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,913,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
Pregame is around 5:30 EST. Kickoff is at 6:30. People may be arriving at various houses as early as 3pm. The game may last until 9:30-10pm. You are looking at around seven hours.

If you were hosting a party, when would be the best time to leave: the beginning of 4th quarter? The end of the game? How about the trophy presentation? Or, can some stay and watch the late news? Some people do not know when to go home and some hosts may have to work the next day.
Who's coming to the party? If it's families then they're going to wrap it up pretty early anyway, if it's uni students then you need somewhere to send them off to.

You got to specify that stuff in the invite. Sell it as doing everyone a favour "I know it's a school night so we'll serve food at 5pm so people can have an early night if they want, for those of you who want to kick on Joe's Bar down the road will be pumping by the fourth quarter" etc. If you want people to leave before the end of the game you really need to specify that when you invite them though. Bit unfair to invite people over to watch something then kick them out before it's over.

Most people will get the hint. For those who don't, at the end of the game you just tell them you've got an early start.

Old 02-11-2024, 07:04 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,078,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
It's time to leave when you start spilling more beer than you drink, or when you've eaten all of the host provided food items. You should also probably leave if you mistake one of the potted plants in the hall for a urinal. And definitely leave if your wife says "Bob, we need to go. Now".
and to add - If you are wearing a lamp shade and snoozing in the corner, hit the bricks.

Old 02-11-2024, 08:44 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,420,411 times
While I would never host and expect or insinuate for anyone to leave before the end of the game, i don’t usually stay until the end of any gathering since I quit drinking.

We did host a Christmas party this past season and I was the only sober person at the end of the very long evening. ( after midnight) I will have a different game plan before next year.

Old 02-12-2024, 06:10 AM

59,338 posts, read 27,496,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
While I would never host and expect or insinuate for anyone to leave before the end of the game, i don’t usually stay until the end of any gathering since I quit drinking.

We did host a Christmas party this past season and I was the only sober person at the end of the very long evening. ( after midnight) I will have a different game plan before next year.
Immature people are usually the only ones who get drunk.

Old 02-12-2024, 06:28 AM

758 posts, read 846,876 times
After the National Anthem. Then you can still get home in time to replay the last 2 hours of the golf match.

Old 02-12-2024, 09:29 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,218,923 times
Why do you host the Superbowl party?

If you are hosting a watch party - it is rude to expect guests to leave in the middle of the game or the moment it is over.
People may exchange their joy or frustrations, have a small discussion, etc

So you are basically at your guests mercy regarding their departure as it is a late game.

The alternative is to not host any watch parties if you have to go to work the next day or only invite guests who you know for sure to rush home early because they need to go to work the next day.

Old 02-12-2024, 10:06 AM

3,074 posts, read 2,061,086 times
There are no people I want to spend 7 hours with so we don't host Super Bowl party and don't accept invites anymore.
In years past we did go to a friends home and other people came then left after 1-2 hours to attend other parties, we stayed and it was way too long.

For a while we lived at a community with on-site cafe so people could come and go when they liked, see people, get food and drinks. That, like a local bar, is the perfect set-up to watch sport events.

Old 02-12-2024, 11:01 AM

22,005 posts, read 9,579,345 times
We had friends in from out of town and I normally go to bed around 10 but we watched the end of the game. There was no time I would have expected them to drive the half hour back to their hotel during the last half. I knew I would be tired today but no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports