Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 07:03 PM

1,979 posts, read 968,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Maybe in MLB...

Since 1958, the Detroit Lions have exactly one postseason win (in 1991). That's 31 years without a postseason win.

But right now, Oakland has lost its last major sports team. Even Brooklyn, who lost the Dodgers, finally got the Nets.

I was the one who started this thread - it occurs to me that one can differentiate between cities that have teams in all four (five?) major professional leagues, versus those cities that have less than four but at least one sports team. Special consideration perhaps for those cities that lost their last/only team.
That's true. People can even consider entire states. Someone said Tennessee. Well, Nashville AND Memphis have at least one major four pro sports team.

Old 09-15-2023, 10:18 AM

335 posts, read 181,133 times
Quote:
Maybe in MLB...

Since 1958, the Detroit Lions have exactly one postseason win (in 1991). That's 31 years without a postseason win.

But right now, Oakland has lost its last major sports team. Even Brooklyn, who lost the Dodgers, finally got the Nets.

I was the one who started this thread - it occurs to me that one can differentiate between cities that have teams in all four (five?) major professional leagues, versus those cities that have less than four but at least one sports team. Special consideration perhaps for those cities that lost their last/only team.

I might not have been clear, I was referring to the Twins consecutive game post season losing streak. I definitely think the Lions' could threaten that consecutive game losing streak, but at their current rate, it will be about 1,170 years before they accumulate that many losses.

And all of us but H will long be gone

Old 09-16-2023, 12:25 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
This. Aside from the Sharks down the road in San Jose, Oakland was always my sports town, and it’s about to be a ghost town. And I’m not finna switch to San Francisco teams. Raiders left me football homeless and the A’s look to do the same. I’ll switch to LA teams before I go SF or root for the formerly Oakland turncoats! At least if GSW leaves, I can look to Sac.

I've had a number of friends over the course of my life who, like you, didn't embrace teams on both sides of the bay. I'm curious now as to why (re them), but I never bothered to ask any of them.

I was brought up rooting for all.

The Niners didn't exist, nor the NBA, until my dad was an adult.

He had to subsist...locally in the Bay Area...on college sports and the PCL minor league baseball.

He loved having MLB, the NBA, and professional (American) football in the Bay Area.

My parents took me to the 1962 World Series games in SF, but I was too little to absorb anything.

I loved it when the A's came in '68.

Raiders QB Daryle Lamonica was one of my neighbor's hunting buddies.

My dad took me to the last game the Niners played at Kezar Stadium (it was in 1970 against the Falcons).

For a couple of years, before the Raiders moved into the Coliseum (which, IIRC was in 1966), my dad had season tickets for the Raiders just for himself (I think he needed that me time during that brief period....my mother was 'driving him nuts' ).

Old 09-17-2023, 08:52 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,238,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
That's true. People can even consider entire states. Someone said Tennessee. Well, Nashville AND Memphis have at least one major four pro sports team.
Well I meant the Tennessee sports market since they don't have teams competing against each other within the state.

Old 09-21-2023, 07:04 AM

55 posts, read 41,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

I've had a number of friends over the course of my life who, like you, didn't embrace teams on both sides of the bay. I'm curious now as to why (re them), but I never bothered to ask any of them.

I was brought up rooting for all.

The Niners didn't exist, nor the NBA, until my dad was an adult.

He had to subsist...locally in the Bay Area...on college sports and the PCL minor league baseball.

He loved having MLB, the NBA, and professional (American) football in the Bay Area.

My parents took me to the 1962 World Series games in SF, but I was too little to absorb anything.

I loved it when the A's came in '68.

Raiders QB Daryle Lamonica was one of my neighbor's hunting buddies.

My dad took me to the last game the Niners played at Kezar Stadium (it was in 1970 against the Falcons).

For a couple of years, before the Raiders moved into the Coliseum (which, IIRC was in 1966), my dad had season tickets for the Raiders just for himself (I think he needed that me time during that brief period....my mother was 'driving him nuts' ).
I think it's sad such a historic team like the Athletics are going to move. That's just tragic.

Old 09-23-2023, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancho Relaxo View Post
I think it's sad such a historic team like the Athletics are going to move. That's just tragic.
They've moved multiple times in their history:

Philadelphia to Kansas City; Kansas City to Oakland

Old 09-23-2023, 11:32 AM

55 posts, read 41,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
They've moved multiple times in their history:

Philadelphia to Kansas City; Kansas City to Oakland
Good point.

Old 10-05-2023, 04:27 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,404,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Ford View Post
I might not have been clear, I was referring to the Twins consecutive game post season losing streak. I definitely think the Lions' could threaten that consecutive game losing streak, but at their current rate, it will be about 1,170 years before they accumulate that many losses.

And all of us but H will long be gone
And the Minnesota Twins win TWO play off games and sweep the Toronto Blue Jays in their Wild Card series - the losing streak ends!

Old 10-08-2023, 06:09 AM

Quote:
And the Minnesota Twins win TWO play off games and sweep the Toronto Blue Jays in their Wild Card series - the losing streak ends!
Good for Minneapolis. After being 0 for 4 in the SB, I think one day they will get one there too.

Old 10-18-2023, 03:30 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Riffing off of Boothwynman's, CelticFan's, and Beach43ofus's threads on current sports teams that fall short, and from a thread up in the Detroit forum started by Yaz, who was considering a road trip from Arizona to Detroit to watch the Tigers, I thought that I'd also post some of my response to Yaz's query here.

Which sports town currently has the most disappointed fans?

I offer up the following for consideration:
  • The Pistons are currently the worst team in the NBA, haven't been to the post season since 2019, and haven't won a post season game since 2008. They've basically been rebuilding since 2008.
  • The Red Wings are currently in the bottom third of the NHL, haven't been to the post season since 2016, and haven't advanced from the first round of the post season since 2013. They've been in rebuilding mode since 2017.
  • The Tigers are currently in the bottom half of MLB, haven't been to the post season since 2014. They are also in a rebuilding phase since 2017.
  • The Lions are currently in the middle of the NFL pack, haven't been to the post season since 2016, and have won only one post season game since 1962. Right now, the Lions are currently considered the best of the four professional sports teams in Detroit.

If there's a place in the US that has it worst, tell me about it. It might soothe my anguish.

I know a guy who lives in Toledo, OH (between Cleveland and Detroit).

His six teams.....Pistons, Cavs, Lions, Browns, Guardians, and Tigers....in the last 51 1/2 years......have won 4 championships.....the Tigers in 1984, the Pistons in 1989 and 1990, and the Cavs in 2016.

During that same period, 'my' six teams since the 60s....the five SF Bay Area teams plus the Lakers.....have won 32 championships....17 NBA titles, 8 Super Bowls, and 7 World Series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports