Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more likely to happen first for DFW sports?
A 2nd NFL team? 5 8.20%
A 2nd NBA team in Dallas? 1 1.64%
A 2nd NBA team in Fort Worth or Arlington? 8 13.11%
A 2nd Major League Baseball club near downtown Dallas? 4 6.56%
A 2nd NHL team ANYWHERE in the Metroplex? 1 1.64%
A 2nd MLS team (in Fort Worth)? 2 3.28%
A comeback for Arena Football in either city? (Both Dallas and Ft. Worth had AFL teams at least once) 13 21.31%
A WNBA team anywhere in the Metroplex? 27 44.26%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 06:18 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times

Advertisements

This has come up before, and even just a few weeks ago I heard this on the radio (105 The Fan) about whether or not DFW could have 2 teams in the same league and where they would be.

The guys gave a few scenarios:

- Have a 2nd NBA team in the AAC with the Mavericks. (Although it would be MUCH more likely for that team to be in Fort Worth)
- Have a 2nd MLB team with the ballpark near downtown Dallas (which actually has been discussed several times before, especially around the time when Mark Cuban tried to buy the Rangers... and thank God he didn't)
- A 2nd Major League Soccer team with the stadium in Dallas (again, would be much better and more likely if it were in Fort Worth)
- And, get this, a 2nd NFL team playing in the Cotton Bowl (.... yeah, NEVER happening as long as the Cowboys exist)

They also brought up having a 2nd NHL team, but let's face it, the State of Texas will only have ONE major hockey team for at least another decade or so, and that would go to Houston.

Anyway, what do you think is more likely to happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 06:37 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Dallas needs its own MLB team so MLB

Old 03-01-2013, 10:22 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
This has come up before, and even just a few weeks ago I heard this on the radio (105 The Fan) about whether or not DFW could have 2 teams in the same league and where they would be.

The guys gave a few scenarios:

- Have a 2nd NBA team in the AAC with the Mavericks. (Although it would be MUCH more likely for that team to be in Fort Worth)
- Have a 2nd MLB team with the ballpark near downtown Dallas (which actually has been discussed several times before, especially around the time when Mark Cuban tried to buy the Rangers... and thank God he didn't)
- A 2nd Major League Soccer team with the stadium in Dallas (again, would be much better and more likely if it were in Fort Worth)
- And, get this, a 2nd NFL team playing in the Cotton Bowl (.... yeah, NEVER happening as long as the Cowboys exist)

They also brought up having a 2nd NHL team, but let's face it, the State of Texas will only have ONE major hockey team for at least another decade or so, and that would go to Houston.

Anyway, what do you think is more likely to happen?
I think the only sport that Dallas could successfully pull off with having two teams would be the NFL, but even then, who's going to give up their Cowboys fandom for another team? Good luck getting Jerry Jones to give up his market for another team, I doubt he'd even allow another team in Texas, let alone Dallas.

I think if any professional sports were added in Texas, it would be the NFL or MLB in San Antonio, and possibly the NHL in Houston.

That would be it.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:01 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Don't ever in my lifetime see another NFL team moving into DFW. Not going to happen. I could see an NFL or MLB team in San Antonio/Austin before I see a 2nd professional team in DFW. Only NYC,LA,Chicago have 2 professional teams in the city.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:22 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
I think all of the Big 5 cities in Texas shouls add a WNBA team..I think it would spice up that league a little.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:06 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post

I think if any professional sports were added in Texas, it would be the NFL or MLB in San Antonio, and possibly the NHL in Houston.
I know, but this isn't about any other city. Just Dallas and Fort Worth.

(You honestly believe this area could pull of a 2nd NFL team?)

Old 03-02-2013, 10:23 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,281 times
An NBA team in Fort Worth or an MLB team in Dallas. NFL and NHL are to far-fetched. But before all this I would say our 1st WNBA team.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:26 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times
I'm all for a playoff NFL team in DFW area. Jerry can call his team the America's cowboys and still use his Arlington stadium

Old 03-02-2013, 04:43 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
NBA team in Fort Worth.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:48 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
For TX:
The Cotton Bowl is a dump and the Cowboys are king, so nix a 2nd football team for Dallas.
Houston attendance lags in baseball so nix that one (last 3 years 19th, 16th, 28th).
Dallas attendance for hockey is average/below average so nix that one.
Dallas baseball attendance is slightly above average but just two or three years out of bankrutpcy, so no 2nd baseball team for DFW.
The Texans are too new, so no 2nd football team for Houston.

Overall:
The Brooklyn/NJ Nets basketball team lags pretty hard in attendance and if they hadn't been bought by a Russian billionaire, they were a strong consideration for leaving the NY area not too long ago.
The Jets lag in attendance and that area has nearly double the DFW metro population.
The only thing holding the White Sox in Chicago is history. Their attendance ranks 24/30 MLB teams.

Maybe LA and NY do well with 2 baseball teams but those metro areas are also nearly double the DFW population. The Mets have been recent laggers, but were also 2nd in attendance to the Yankees as recently as 2008.

In short, two teams in a single metro is generally a bad idea, and the top two metros in TX are a long way from being able to support them.

The WNBA is also still struggling with attendance and not in expansion mode, but Dallas might get a WNBA team in the next 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports