Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 11:21 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,244,923 times

Advertisements

If you watch one of those absurd shows on Science Channel (which should be renamed Stupid Channel) you'd think there were aliens under every rock at least according to "ancient alien theorists". Aliens is always the first explanation rather than the last. The fact that they give these self promoting carnival clowns any airtime is sad. "Could it be", "Is it possible" they're just trying to peddle their books and websites to the ignorant and gullible?

Last edited by geos; 03-25-2016 at 11:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 12:17 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,405,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
If you watch one of those absurd shows on Science Channel (which should be renamed Stupid Channel) you'd think there were aliens under every rock at least according to "ancient alien theorists". Aliens is always the first explanation rather than the last. The fact that they give these self promoting carnival clowns any airtime is sad. "Could it be", "Is it possible" they're just trying to peddle their books and websites to the ignorant and gullible?
The number one best seller book has been bought by the ignorant and gullible for years.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
The number one best seller book has been bought by the ignorant and gullible for years.
The Bible? The Koran?

Old 03-26-2016, 07:32 PM

11,051 posts, read 6,007,787 times
I'm an alien!

No really. I was born in another country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
The Bible? The Koran?

Old 03-27-2016, 08:20 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,151,129 times
The whole UFO culture is very commercial and marketed en masse with TV shows and media. The reality is that most sightings are explained by rational means. A small percentage are not. I firmly believe there is life out there-With countless numbers of galaxies I doubt there could not be.

One can also wonder if the powers that be are maybe making the subject a parody because its all true..Hmmmmm.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I'm an alien!

One of my favorite countries! I must visit NZ someday.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:11 PM

1,185 posts, read 805,988 times
I think there has been too many theories about Extra Terrestrial life between the Ancient Aliens and others. Theory upon theory.

In this day and age with cameras and smart phones, we have yet to get some tangible piece of evidence apart from blurry videos and pictures of aliens and UFO's. For the untrained eye even a secret military drone would be a UFO (not of this world).

Old 04-07-2016, 03:19 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,106,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I'm an alien!

You aren't a native Kiwi?

Old 04-09-2016, 04:32 AM

11,051 posts, read 6,007,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
You aren't a native Kiwi?
No. I'm from Africa. Africa has a different kind of beauty.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:16 PM

6,961 posts, read 6,893,801 times
geos
Quote:
I'll bite.
A far as I can see there are just as many ignorant and gullible people on both sides of the camp, so 'ignorant and gullible' appears to be a name-calling phrase which depends on which side of the fence you sit. You seem to forget that TV is something to watch when you need to relax and disengage the brain after work so most people do not bother to think too much when watching these programs. People need relaxation time, so what should they do? Read a book perhaps? Take up a hobby? Trust me, you would not like the TV in other countries very much, at least a wide range of programs caters for a wide range of audience.

The kind of language the alien believers use is the same kind of language NASA uses ( see CD thread here, link in first post ) so why shouldn't they? The fact is we dont know for sure whether aliens exist. A large number of people believe they do because they have personally experienced them in one form or another, but you forget that science promotes or denies whatever it decides is the current popular theory at the time.

Machines taking samples of data are open to all kinds of glitches from cosmic radiation to outright malfunctions and bugs in software . Yet, the data from these scientific instruments is believed (by science) more than many, many personal experiences. We just need to decide that Science is not infallable and humans are not infallable either. Unfortunately, arrogant science thinks that everyting which is not done by science is invalid.

So, now that you have pointed out the kind of language the alien believers use and I have pointed out the same language that NASA scientists use - where are we in this discussion? It seems you do not have much to argue or complain about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space