Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 08:30 PM

432 posts, read 978,834 times

Advertisements

If you live in Rapid City and want news about Noem, do NOT rely on the Rapid City Journal. While the story of her killing her dog is all over the national news, a story on it has yet to appear in the Rapid City Journal, now two days out. Look on their Facebook page and there is nothing. Look on their website there is nothing. If you search on the paper's website you will find one article from a national source. If you did not do the search, you get nothing. If the National Enquirer was covering up for Trump, it appears to me the Rapid City Journal is covering up for Noem. Before you respond, go look. Today is the last Sunday in April 2024.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2024, 10:38 AM

4,514 posts, read 4,642,871 times
What a mean, cruel, thoughtless act this female did. It's about the wrost thing I ever heard a high ranking politicker admit to doing. I think she was wanting to prove to Donald Trump what a strong, rock-ribbed conservative woman she is so he will pick her as his running mate. Instead, she shows the world that she doesn't think straight in a crises.

Old 04-29-2024, 12:04 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,206,556 times
I can’t understand why she didn’t take 14-month-old Cricket to be euthanized if she felt he was such a danger to kids and society. Bragging about shooting Cricket in the head is sick.

Old 04-29-2024, 03:53 PM

4,881 posts, read 6,959,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smpliving View Post
I can’t understand why she didn’t take 14-month-old Cricket to be euthanized if she felt he was such a danger to kids and society. Bragging about shooting Cricket in the head is sick.
She wasn't "bragging" about it. She stated a fact. A cold hard truth.

Now, I would have done the same thing that you stated. As a dog lover I couldn't get myself to shoot a dog unless it was attacking someone or something that I cherish. THEN I'd be forced to shoot it, but it would bother me.

My father had to shoot a couple neighbor dogs many years ago that was attacking our cattle. The neighbor was upset, but he understood that my dad had no choice. If it were our dogs attacking HIS cattle he would have justifiably done the same thing.

If you're brought up on a farm or ranch like Kristi AND I was, doing what she did is not uncommon. If you're raising animals and chickens, butchering them is a natural thing to do. Face it, hot wings at your favorite restaurant came from a living entity. What's worse, shooting something or laying it's head on a block and chopping it off? THAT'S a reality that city people cannot understand it. They're OK with drive by shootings and unprovoked violence because that's "normal", but don't hurt Fluffy.

What Noem SHOULD have done is not even mention this in her book. That was in my opinion, simply dumb.

Old 04-29-2024, 05:59 PM

19,873 posts, read 22,777,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
She wasn't "bragging" about it. She stated a fact. A cold hard truth.

Now, I would have done the same thing that you stated. As a dog lover I couldn't get myself to shoot a dog unless it was attacking someone or something that I cherish. THEN I'd be forced to shoot it, but it would bother me.

My father had to shoot a couple neighbor dogs many years ago that was attacking our cattle. The neighbor was upset, but he understood that my dad had no choice. If it were our dogs attacking HIS cattle he would have justifiably done the same thing.

If you're brought up on a farm or ranch like Kristi AND I was, doing what she did is not uncommon. If you're raising animals and chickens, butchering them is a natural thing to do. Face it, hot wings at your favorite restaurant came from a living entity. What's worse, shooting something or laying it's head on a block and chopping it off? THAT'S a reality that city people cannot understand it. They're OK with drive by shootings and unprovoked violence because that's "normal", but don't hurt Fluffy.

What Noem SHOULD have done is not even mention this in her book. That was in my opinion, simply dumb.
I'm a big bird hunter. I have 4 German shorthaired pointers. What doesn't make sense to me is the dog was obviously 'birdy'. Running the field and flushing birds is not atypical for a 14 month old bird dog. All of my dogs have done it. It's a GOOD problem to have. You have to work and train the dog to get that out of their system. At 14 months the dog is still very much a juvenile. Cricket needed training- she had desire and willingness to search for birds.

If I read the article right- the dog jumped out of her truck and killed the neighbors chickens. Well duh. That's her fault, not the dogs. It's a bird dog. She failed to have control of her dog.

What befuddles me is that a good bird dog pup from a reputable breeder in our neck of the woods is $1500- not trained. She killed a bird dog with natural instinct when she could have rehomed that dog in less than a week. Our NAVHDA chapter sometimes gets rehome requests and literally done within a few days.

Shooting a dog like this was not taking care of 'unsavory' business. It sounds like it was very hasty and more than likely done out of anger in the moment. It certainly was stupid. And even worse she told the world.

Old 04-29-2024, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I'm a big bird hunter. I have 4 German shorthaired pointers. What doesn't make sense to me is the dog was obviously 'birdy'. Running the field and flushing birds is not atypical for a 14 month old bird dog. All of my dogs have done it. It's a GOOD problem to have. You have to work and train the dog to get that out of their system. At 14 months the dog is still very much a juvenile. Cricket needed training- she had desire and willingness to search for birds.

If I read the article right- the dog jumped out of her truck and killed the neighbors chickens. Well duh. That's her fault, not the dogs. It's a bird dog. She failed to have control of her dog.

What befuddles me is that a good bird dog pup from a reputable breeder in our neck of the woods is $1500- not trained. She killed a bird dog with natural instinct when she could have rehomed that dog in less than a week. Our NAVHDA chapter sometimes gets rehome requests and literally done within a few days.

Shooting a dog like this was not taking care of 'unsavory' business. It sounds like it was very hasty and more than likely done out of anger in the moment. It certainly was stupid. And even worse she told the world.
I'm guessing that you're right. Things like this can happen in rural parts of our country and may not necessarily be wrong based on the situation. HOWEVER, why in hell do you tell the whole world about it? Her book might be a literary masterpiece, but all anyone will remember from now on is that she shot her dog in a gravel pit.

I'm a strong backer of Gov. Noem. I think that she's been an effective and intelligent leader for our state. This paints a very bad picture of her though. If she had any thoughts on a possible Vice Presidency, she can cross that off her bucket list. As to holding future offices representing the state such as running for US Senate, she will survive this screwup.

Old 04-30-2024, 06:52 AM

1,261 posts, read 837,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I would have no issue if the governor had killed a neighbor's (or feral) dog which was repeatedly preying on her poultry or livestock. As is routinely done with coyotes. The law would indemnify her for this, protecting her property from a negligent dog owner who failed to control their dog.

In this story, the governor is the negligent dog owner. And I take issue with putting down her own dog for relatively normal dog behavior. This wasn't an unexpected puppy from an unfixed working farm dog on a poor farm. It was a choice to acquire this animal, and in my opinion disposing of it out of embarrassment or anger showed weakness not strength. Taking the easy way out of properly training (and transporting) the dog, or the embarrassment of re-homing the dog.

Old 04-30-2024, 01:43 PM

6,200 posts, read 3,410,264 times
South Dakota law states that dogs who attack and kill livestock can be put down.

Putting down your own violent animals 15-20 years ago? I don’t really care.

Also, she was never going to be the VP pick anyway.

I think she is a great governor, but she is term limited, so in 2026, there will be a new governor.

So, basically, none of this even hurts her.

Old 04-30-2024, 07:37 PM

452 posts, read 209,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212david51 View Post
If you live in Rapid City and want news about Noem, do NOT rely on the Rapid City Journal. While the story of her killing her dog is all over the national news, a story on it has yet to appear in the Rapid City Journal, now two days out.
I will add that it's not only the Rapid City Journal ignoring this story. Several threads on CD have also been deleted erasing any opinion or thoughts that CD commenters may have.

Old 04-30-2024, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MendoMan View Post
I will add that it's not only the Rapid City Journal ignoring this story. Several threads on CD have also been deleted erasing any opinion or thoughts that CD commenters may have.
I'm not buying this. Most on C-D have no "dog in the hunt" (pun intended) as to this story. On what thread was comments deleted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota