Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 03:09 PM

10,033 posts, read 15,687,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post

New Englanders are really Southerners who just talk funny. We tend to share most values regarding home, family and our way of life.
Thank you, PawleysDude - that's a nice compliment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 03:11 PM

362 posts, read 1,503,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Those from Ohio, PA, Michigan, etc. can move South but will never quite figure it out.

Disagree with you big time. I am an Ohioan (born/bred) who has Southern born parents. I've been all over the South and quite at home and comfortable there. Matter of fact I love the South, it's just the heat and humidity I can't take.
I couldn't take the heat/humidity of SE Michigan either -- and we DID get high humidity coming off of the lakes. But I'd much rather deal with that than the cold, ice, snow and just plain dreary days.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:37 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,083,822 times
Nobody is capable of changing your culture. Are you sure that it is worth getting upset about, or do you just get annoyed when someone complains about not getting different pizza. There is a reason people like to live in South Carolina, and it is not because of what they would like to change--it is what they love about it. My wife misses New Jersey, and it will always be her home. But she realizes that NJ and AL is apples and oranges, and there are things to love about each of them.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:38 PM

765 posts, read 1,912,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinkit View Post
I don't think anyone is asking a person to change everything about THEMSELVES, but rather to leave the Southern culture as it has always been and not try to change the CULTURE here to the way it is up north. Southerners get tired of hearing "well, we did it this way up north" to which they, rightfully so, want to say "then, Yankee go HOME!"
Buttheads come in all races, creeds , and nationality.. Shoot if we wanted to get techical i could also give 25 things that northerners resent down south. It goes both ways.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:49 PM

362 posts, read 1,503,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
Buttheads come in all races, creeds , and nationality.
Agreed! I could give you 25 reasons that persons of my own gender upset me!

Old 03-08-2009, 05:00 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,443,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namaw View Post
I'm just another soon to be transplant from the north, but please try to understand we aren't all the same. I'm coming south because I have fallen in love with the beauty slower lifestyle etc. I just want to live in peace with my family with whatever neighbors I have. If I need to complain about prices, people, blah blah blah, I can always do that here too. I plan on enjoy the rest of the life God gives me with all the people that I can whether or not they enjoy it themselves is not up to me. I want to be happy and make those around me happy. Don't have time for misery and sour grapes.Thanks for listening.
You have a wonderful attitude.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:02 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,443,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinkit View Post
I couldn't take the heat/humidity of SE Michigan either -- and we DID get high humidity coming off of the lakes. But I'd much rather deal with that than the cold, ice, snow and just plain dreary days.
I know what you're saying. Don't ever go to Alaska LOL....can we say longgggggggg, cold, snowy, icy winters. We are currently in S.E. Ohio for family obligations and it sure got cold down here in Jan and Feb. I was accused of bringing Alaska winters with me.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:43 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,083,822 times
Sorry is I ruffled anyone's feathers earlier, I take a strong stance when I see regional bashing. I think about the troops and what they are going through, and can't help but wonder how silly they would think all of the bickering is, considering they are giving their lives for the whole US, not just a certain area.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:52 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,831,234 times
Quote:
pvjd wrote: Why should somebody be expected to change everything about themselves to please the locals...
pvjd, you're not paying attention. I didn't read anyone asking someone to change, and I sure as hell don't expect it. The OP asked "why all the hate?" A few tried to explain. I think resentment is more accurate than hate, but I do believe quite a few Southerners resent the changes that have occurred in the South, primarily as the result of a huge influx of Yankees. I know Californians with similar resentment toward Hispanics, and Louisianans(?) with similar resentment toward Vietnamese. You haven't seen the same thing in Vermont??? Wow, that's odd, considering the huge influx of Southerners to Vermont!! Is the resentment a good thing? Of course not, but it's real and I'm surprised it's unexpected.

Quote:
Nobody is capable of changing your culture...
Of course they are. Pioneers moving westward certainly changed the culture of Native Americans. Missionaries changed the culture of Africa. Vacationers have changed the culture of many Caribbean islands. The change on the South is not a lot less dramatic. Just this morning, our newspaper had a letter to the editor from someone who had moved here because "It reminded him of NJ without the snow." 15 years ago that would have been laughable. Today it made perfect sense.

I've overstayed my welcome in this thread. Thanks for the discussion.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:28 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,029,003 times
well, i've been polite and respectful my entire life in WI, and continue to do so now down here in SC. And most we've met have been the same and even more back to us. We feel we should blend in here, not ask or expect others to mold to us. And if the biggest issue i cause is my ordering "un-sweetened" tea, we'll all get along just fine.
besides, the weather here's too damn nice not to move down. If i wanted to go on the lake back home in early March, i could have. Just would need to drill thru the ice to see open water ( 15" ice coverage still ). And this weekend here? wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina