Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2023, 07:35 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times

Advertisements

Two South Carolina cities on this year’s list released July 19th:

Myrtle Beach #1, up from #18 last year
Charleston #23, up from #53 last year

https://realestate.usnews.com/real-e...-us#charleston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2023, 09:37 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 8 days ago)

721 posts, read 341,550 times
From an outdoor recreation, Eugene has a great location.

But it is surprising a Charleston fan would link a list with Eugene ranked over Charleston. There's nothing special about the city of Eugene. Jacksonville is known for having a lackluster downtown but is ranked over Charleston. I like Jacksonville and Savannah better but the average Charleston stan would be unhappy with this list

MB seems like a stretch for #1 unless it is retirees only. Having a job is kind of important.

Old 07-21-2023, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
From an outdoor recreation, Eugene has a great location.

But it is surprising a Charleston fan would link a list with Eugene ranked over Charleston. There's nothing special about the city of Eugene. Jacksonville is known for having a lackluster downtown but is ranked over Charleston. I like Jacksonville and Savannah better but the average Charleston stan would be unhappy with this list

MB seems like a stretch for #1 unless it is retirees only. Having a job is kind of important.
Lists schmlists

Charleston is higher than Raleigh.

Old 07-21-2023, 01:15 PM

Raleigh is one of the most vanilla places I've been. If a city at the coast can't rank higher than Raleigh, it has major PR issues.

I can't think of a major city that has a downtown with less buzz than Raleigh.

Old 07-21-2023, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Raleigh is one of the most vanilla places I've been. If a city at the coast can't rank higher than Raleigh, it has major PR issues.

I can't think of a major city that has a downtown with less buzz than Raleigh.
None of what you’re saying changes the fact that on so many of these lists, Raleigh ranks above Charleston and has for years been near the top on them. Charleston’s PR is good.

Old 07-22-2023, 09:01 AM

The list has San Fran at no. 12. I can't see it being ranked that high with a legit cross section of Americans. Maybe 50 years ago but not today.

Same with Portland at no. 8. These two cities and Eugene are no doubt very popular with a group of people but are polarizing in general.

I feel like at least 60% of Americans would choose Charleston over Raleigh if jobs and other considerations were not a factor.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 07-22-2023 at 09:15 AM..

Old 07-22-2023, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
None of what you’re saying changes the fact that on so many of these lists, Raleigh ranks above Charleston and has for years been near the top on them. Charleston’s PR is good.
I question Charleston's PR.

One reason is it seems like College of Charleston should be like an Ivy League school in terms of selectivity. Most of the really old colleges have been able to market their age to boost applications. College of Charleston is located in a better climate than those colleges.

Consider Virginia's College of William and Mary. It is an old public college, and ranked high in US News in the national university category. They have College of Charleston in the regional college category.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 07-22-2023 at 03:03 PM..

Old 07-22-2023, 06:57 PM

121 posts, read 92,577 times
Lakeman, about 25 years ago one of the major news mags published a major article about the CoC being an “Ivey league” like experience. When our daughter was there off campus private housing parking was slap full of range rovers with tags from north eastern states. I believe CoC has the biggest differential between in and out of state tuition to capitalize on this. CoC has a better reputation in New England than in our own state, to the parents of a middle of the pack, affluent Northeastern high school student, CoC seems alluring and almost exotic.

As an aside,we were happier with our older daughter’s experience at CoC, than our younger daughters experience at Furman, go figure, those are left wing loons at this point.

Old 07-23-2023, 04:57 AM

Quote:
I question Charleston's PR.

One reason is it seems like College of Charleston should be like an Ivy League school in terms of selectivity. Most of the really old colleges have been able to market their age to boost applications. College of Charleston is located in a better climate than those colleges.

Consider Virginia's College of William and Mary. It is an old public college, and ranked high in US News in the national university category. They have College of Charleston in the regional college category.
Lists Schmlists

https://today.cofc.edu/2022/08/23/pr...igh-marks/amp/

Also, Fiske recently said CofC is the best public liberal arts college in SC. As far as the Ivy League status bit, it is still hard for any school in SC or the Southeast to reach said status. The Ivy League schools kind of have a lock on that mindset.

Old 07-26-2023, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robeades View Post
Lakeman, about 25 years ago one of the major news mags published a major article about the CoC being an “Ivey league” like experience. When our daughter was there off campus private housing parking was slap full of range rovers with tags from north eastern states. I believe CoC has the biggest differential between in and out of state tuition to capitalize on this. CoC has a better reputation in New England than in our own state, to the parents of a middle of the pack, affluent Northeastern high school student, CoC seems alluring and almost exotic.

As an aside,we were happier with our older daughter’s experience at CoC, than our younger daughters experience at Furman, go figure, those are left wing loons at this point.

That's a good point but I still feel like it flies under radar. It should be as selective as William and Mary in my view.

COC may be larger than most of the Ivies so it can't be as selective. Most of the Ivies probably have engineering programs which attract mostly males. I think COC is mostly female.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina