Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 02:12 PM

7,260 posts, read 4,637,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2123 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Very informative, and I looked at the Pawley's island, but with hurricanes and such I'd like to be atleast 30 min away from water.
Depending what aspect(s) of a hurricane you'd like to avoid, there are some official maps to help with that decision. Some of these will factor into insurance cost as well.

Most dangerous part of Hurricanes in the US is storm surge. The National Hurricane Center has an interactive map showing what could potentially flood in a hurricane, considered accurate down to the neighborhood level. You'll need to change the 'category' at top of page to see the different storm strengths though. Keep in mind not all these areas flood in a storm to that level, but any given point could as shown given the right circumstances. Should a storm actually approach, then storm specific surge maps will be issued showing where may flood and to what level.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...b50fdcc3272e2c
(best viewed on desktop, if on mobile may need to rotate phone so can tap the arrow to hide the menu so can see the map).

Inland flooding would be the next concern. FEMA maps will help with that (unfortunately you'll need to zoom in quite a bit for the flood layers to actually load) : You can type in a specific address here: https://msc.fema.gov/portal/home or view interactive map here: https://hazards-fema.maps.arcgis.com...9338b5529aa9cd

No Cat5 has hit North of FL.
Only 4 Cat4's have hit GA/SC/NC.
Only 6 Cat3's have hit GA/SC/NC.
Plenty of Cat1 & 2's and less.

Although there are quite a few scares as others turn just off the coast as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2023, 06:06 PM

10 posts, read 8,417 times
After more research my wife and I decided we are leaning more towards Raleigh North Carolina. Jobs are better, and I can probably transfer my job. Not a lot of jobs in South Carolina for the work we do. I worked the same job for 6 years, and they have a location near Raleigh.

Old 02-20-2023, 06:42 AM

After looking at renting in either SC or NC, and seeing the prices of renting and housing is the same as PA, but the jobs pay a lot less how does one afford to live in SC or NC? Are the hourly and salary rates higher than what indeed shows?

I have lots of skills from painting, drywall repair, little roofing experience, I fixed some small engines, repair my own car even when I am stumped, and pay 2 mechanics to look at it, and they couldn't figure it out I never gave up, and got it running.

Old 03-29-2023, 06:48 PM

Sold my hpuse in PA. Planning to move to SC still. I looked up lots of stuff, and transferring car titles one document SC says you need is Receipt for paid vehicle property tax. Where am i supposed to find this?

Old 03-29-2023, 06:55 PM

33 posts, read 32,995 times
Before you go to the dmv, you go to your county tax office/treasurer and pay vehicle property tax. You just show your current registration from out of state. You then tell them your new address in the county and they print out a tax bill for you. depending on the county, you just go to another window and pay the bill. The bill will vary based on how much your car is valued at, as well as the local tax rate.

Old 03-30-2023, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotty2249 View Post
Before you go to the dmv, you go to your county tax office/treasurer and pay vehicle property tax. You just show your current registration from out of state. You then tell them your new address in the county and they print out a tax bill for you. depending on the county, you just go to another window and pay the bill. The bill will vary based on how much your car is valued at, as well as the local tax rate.

Ok, thanks.

Old 03-30-2023, 06:29 PM

So this is a yearly payment?

Old 03-30-2023, 08:02 PM

19 posts, read 24,144 times
If you’re still considering South Carolina, check out Florence. Although it’s about an hour/1.5 from Myrtle Beach it isn’t really a bad drive. Florence has interstates I-20/I-95 and is at a central location between bigger metro areas like Columbia, Charleston, Charlotte, and the beach. The area has really been growing, has plenty of local/chain restaurants & shopping. The downtown area has been growing as well as was just announced as a 2023 Great American Main Street winner. Florence also has many parks/ a walking trail/ and many sport complexes.

https://www.mainstreet.org/blogs/nat...ain-street-awa

Old 03-30-2023, 10:47 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,542,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2123 View Post
So this is a yearly payment?
Yes, it is. The tax will go down each year. There is a fee for bringing an out-of-state vehicle into the state that is in addition to the property tax. I believe it is $300 additional per vehicle. I don't know much about it since I came here before this fee was added.

https://www.scdmvonline.com/

Old 03-31-2023, 06:58 AM

935 posts, read 1,651,089 times
yes, as the mileage increases and the value decreases, the tax (to get your registration and tag sticker each year) decreases significantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina