Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 05:37 PM

12,924 posts, read 18,765,744 times

Advertisements

Show me where I said nobody in SC wants to change the name of the Strom Thurmond Fitness Center. Show me where I said all Black people love Thurmond and Hollings. I’ll never “hype up” a segregationist, only a “former” “former” “former” “former” “former” “former” “former” “former” “former” “former” “former” “former” “former” - agh! I’m exhausted- segregationist who changed their views as evidenced by their devoted public service to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2022, 06:29 PM

1,290 posts, read 784,698 times
Your comments were made on the 'Is Charleston the Austin of SC?' topic. You said the naming of the Thurmond fitness center issue was settled and made the other comment I referenced.

It is interesting to me you want to campaign for a man who is no longer alive. I don't think he could win in this state in 2022 and he would have a hard time winning a Democratic primary in any state given his history unless the rival candidates don't play to win.

I think a lot of young people with your views would have a hard time dealing with his thick old school southern accent. He sounds and looked like the Hollywood version of a southern conservative. Wikipedia refers to him as a conservative and that seems to be a primary source for young people.

I don't know how you can know if he sincerely changed. He was under societal pressure to say he changed. He may have changed but I'm talking about the optics of electing a former segregationist when you have the option of making another choice, particularly if you brand your organization as progressive and minorities make the difference for you in elections. I liked Strom's view on taxes and foreign policy and some other issues but I would never say we need men like him in office and refer to him as special. There is no way people with your views would forgive Strom for his sins given the accusations regarding photo ID to vote and other stuff. I think you understand the theater aspect.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 03-03-2022 at 07:11 PM..

Old 03-04-2022, 04:55 AM

All that is living in the world of what ifs. I checked this morning’s news. There’s still no rebellion against this Citadel group honoring Hollings. I believe I remember someone saying the Strom Thurmond Fitness Center’s name wasn’t settled after I said it was. Still, I didn’t say no one wanted it changed.

Old 03-04-2022, 09:31 AM

There would be a rebellion if his life was described in an accurate way and he had been a Republican. The newspaper articles about him make him out as a civil rights hero.

You recently said people who choose to live in the burbs and rural areas of SC are racist. Where a person lives is not evidence of racism.

At the same time, you believe Fritz Hollings and people who praise Fritz Hollings deserve the benefit of the doubt. And you believe he is more special than people who were never segregationists.

Old 03-04-2022, 09:58 AM

I did not simply say people who live in the suburbs are racist. That is oversimplification. The history of suburbia and development spreading farther and farther out is definitely tied to the history of whites leaving areas they have seen as becoming too Black.

I grew up with people who now live where they live because of that pattern of development, and I see Facebook comments that I won’t go into.

Whether we as a society are really past the days of whites selling their suburban homes and moving farther out when the complexion of their street or neighborhood changes is a question I’m not ready to answer with a big yes.

Old 03-04-2022, 12:05 PM

14,250 posts, read 14,745,966 times
It is difficult to discuss people whose views on race changed over the years, especially people like Fritz who did such a radical change as opposed to those that did only a slight shift such a Strom and Cousin Arthur Ravenel Jr.

Many did such a shift but their prior words are not documented as are politician's words.

Old 03-04-2022, 02:43 PM

The people who say Hollings did a radical change are typically members of his party. They have a big conflict of interest. They typically assert there was a big switch of segregationist politicians to the GOP although Strom was the only big name one.

They never cite Hollings' apology because he probably did not make one. Hollings wouldn't even admit he was the one who put the Confederate flag on the state house.

I would argue the one that switched parties, Strom Thurmond, was the one who changed the most. Staying in the same organization that did slavery and segregation isn't good optics. That organization didn't change its name.

Ravenel was first elected to office in 1980. He never won an election by being for segregation, if he ran on that when he was a Democrat. His Wikipedia page doesn't mention segregation.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 03-04-2022 at 03:19 PM..

Old 03-04-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I did not simply say people who live in the suburbs are racist. That is oversimplification. The history of suburbia and development spreading farther and farther out is definitely tied to the history of whites leaving areas they have seen as becoming too Black.

I grew up with people who now live where they live because of that pattern of development, and I see Facebook comments that I won’t go into.

Whether we as a society are really past the days of whites selling their suburban homes and moving farther out when the complexion of their street or neighborhood changes is a question I’m not ready to answer with a big yes.
Hollings lived on the Isle of Palms. Using your logic, that means he didn't change. He chose not to live adjacent to the high crime areas in downtown Charleston.

Old 03-04-2022, 03:39 PM

I recall the Citadel being criticized by 'woke' people because they make their cadets recite a quote attributed to Robert E Lee.

It would be surprising if the Citadel did not have a lot of respect for Robert E Lee given his reputation as a military man.

Old 03-04-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
Hollings lived on the Isle of Palms. Using your logic, that means he didn't change. He chose not to live adjacent to the high crime areas in downtown Charleston.
Are you equating suburban neighborhoods that become equally white and black with high-crime areas? Hollings must have liked the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina